This keto taco seasoning is perfect to use on meat, poultry, fish, vegetables, and every Mexican dish you can think of! Made with simple ingredients, there are no fillers or sugar needed.
The BEST Keto Taco Seasoning recipe
Is taco seasoning keto?
While most of the ingredients in store bought taco seasoning is keto approved, unfortunately, many mainstream brands have added fillers and anti-caking agents in them which convert to carbs. Luckily, making your own takes seconds to make and tastes even better!
Why this recipe works
- Ready in seconds. All you do is mix the spices together and Voila: you have an instant seasoning mix!
- Flavorful and fragrant. Unlike store bought seasonings, you can use the best of the best spices and create the most perfect mix.
- Versatile. While delicious in classic recipes like tacos, taco soup, taco casserole, and enchiladas, you can also use it to season simple protein too!
- Almost zero carbs. Each serving has virtually no carbs in it.
If you have a basic spice cabinet in your kitchen, you should have everything on hand to make this mix. If not, try to buy the spices from a specialty shop or market, as they are most fresh there! Here is what you’ll need:
- Cumin– The key ingredient to give the seasoning a lovely fragrant flavor.
- Smoked paprika– Gives a smoky and sweet flavor.
- Chili powder– Adds the spicy kick to it. You can also use cayenne pepper instead.
- Garlic powder– Not garlic salt, or else the seasoning mix will be too salty.
- Onion powder– Not onion salt.
- Salt– Only a minimal amount of salt is added to the mix, as depending on what recipe you will use this seasoning with, you will likely add more salt to it, anyway.
- Pepper– Give a little extra kick.
- Red pepper flakes– Optional, but only add this if you’d like this to be a spicier seasoning.
How do you make keto taco seasoning?
Add all the spices into a mixing bowl and whisk together until combined. Transfer into a jar until ready to be used.
Tips to make the best recipe
- This seasoning is very forgiving, so feel free to adjust the quantities to suit your taste buds. I love a very fragrant seasoning, so I often double the cumin.
- Try to use spices that have not previously been packaged (e.g. McCormicks spice mix from the grocery store). These often have been packaged for a considerable amount of time and can have a less intense flavor. Opt for picking up the spices from a market or specialty grocery store.
- To store: Taco seasoning should be stored at room temperature, in an airtight container, away from sunlight. The seasoning mix will keep well for at least 6 months. Do not keep it for any longer than that, or the flavor will begin to diminish.
Do not freeze the taco seasoning. It will clump up and once thawed, be crumbly and thick.
More ways to use this
This seasoning makes a fabulous rub for protein, and here are some of our favorites to use it on:
Frequently Asked Questions
No, McCormick’s taco seasoning mix is not keto friendly as it contains sugar.
Yes, taco seasoning is suitable for a gluten free diet.
Keto Taco Seasoning | 30 Second Recipe
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all the spices and mix well, until combined.
- Transfer into a sealable jar or container until ready to use.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.