These keto crackers are made with almond flour and cheese, and baked to crispy and crunchy perfection! Using just 2 main ingredients, they are a low carb way to enjoy a crunchy snack! 1 gram net carbs per serving.
While I have an insatiable sweet tooth, sometimes my keto desserts just don’t cut it. When I’m craving chips and something to pair with salsa or guacamole, I love munching on some low carb crackers.
After making my tortilla chips, I loosely adapted the ingredients to see if I could make something with it to make a keto cracker recipe. By flattening out the dough to become a little bit thinner and switching out the cheese used, I was able to create my own keto version of wheat thins. Actually, a keto version of cheeze-its!
Now, whenever the afternoon munchies strike, I am scurrying to the pantry and serving myself a bowlful of these crackers, and have now become a weekly staple. Crispy, crunchy, salty, and cheesy– they have the perfect cracker taste and texture. For those of you who want a dairy free option or prefer a more plain cracker, you can easily skip the cheese completely!
How do you make low carb crackers
No fancy kitchen gadgets or difficult dough is needed to make these crackers. All you need is just 12 minutes all up, so you have plenty of time to put together a snack board for yourself while they are baking away!
- Almond flour– You want to use blanched almond flour, and not almond meal. The latter will make the crackers heavy and dense and risks falling apart once baked.
- Shredded cheese– I used cheddar cheese, as it gives the crackers extra crispiness and holds together the best. You can also use mozzarella cheese.
- Salt and pepper– To taste. Avoid adding salt until after the crackers are made, as the cheese is already quite flavorful and salty.
- Water– Optional, but only add it if the dough needs extra binding.
In a food processor or high speed blender, add your almond flour and shredded cheese, and blend well until a dough appears. If the dough is too crumbly, add a little water. Place the dough onto a piece of parchment paper, and place another piece of parchment paper on top. Roll it out until flat and thin. Using a pizza cutter, cut the dough into squares. Place the crackers onto a lined baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes, before flipping and cooking for a further 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool completely.
Can I make crackers in the air fryer?
If you own an air fryer, you can save time by baking them there instead.
Simply prepare the crackers as directed and place them on a single layer in the air fryer basket. ‘Fry’ at 200C/400F for 7-8 minutes, flipping halfway through.
Can I make crackers without cheese?
If you’d like to make plain keto crackers, replace the cheese with 1 large egg and 1 tablespoon of melted coconut oil.
My crackers have become slightly soft. What can I do?
If your cooled crackers have become slightly soft, you can easily remedy it. Simply place the crackers in a preheated oven and bake for 5 minutes, until crispy again.
Tips to make the best almond flour crackers
- The thinner you roll the dough out, the crispier the crackers will be.
- Use a pizza cutter to cut up the dough into crackers. It will be infinitely easier to slice more evenly
- Feel free to add some spices into the dough, to give it some extra flavor. Oregano, basil, and smoked paprika are all fantastic additions.
- Do not overbake the crackers, as they continue to crisp up as they are cooling down. Once they have turned golden brown around the edges, remove them.
Storing and Freezing Crackers
- To store- Store crackers at room temperature, in a sealed container. They will remain fresh for at least 3 days. You can refrigerate them to keep them longer.
- To freeze- Place crackers in a ziplock bag and store in the freezer for up to 2 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and reheat in the oven once thawed out.
- To reheat- If crackers are refrigerated or frozen, it’s best for you to reheat then in the oven or toaster oven to crisp up again.
More keto snack recipes you’ll enjoy
Keto Crackers (2 ingredients!)
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 cup shredded cheese cheddar cheese * See notes
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1-2 tbsp water ** See notes
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a high speed blender or food processor, add your almond flour, shredded cheese, and salt, and blend well, until a dough remains. If the dough is too crumbly, add a tablespoon or two of water.
- Line a large sheet of parchment paper on a flat kitchen surface. Transfer the dough onto it and place another sheet of parchment paper on top. Press down on the dough, before rolling it out using a rolling pin, until around 1/4 inch in thickness. Using a pizza cutter, slice up squares to form crackers.
- Transfer the crackers onto the lined sheet. Bake for 12 minutes, flipping halfway through. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.