This keto breakfast casserole is chock full of eggs, vegetables, sausage, and cheese, and makes the perfect savory low carb breakfast! It’s easy to customize and freezes beautifully! 1 grams net carbs per serving.
The Best Keto Breakfast Casserole Recipe
Contrary to popular belief, there are tons of keto breakfast ideas to choose from.
While most of us tend to lean towards something simple, like a smoothie or eggs on keto toast, a family favorite low carb breakfast is this breakfast casserole.
For those of you who aren’t sure what a breakfast casserole is, it’s like a quiche but without a crust. It’s often referred to as an egg bake or egg casserole, and has vegetables, meat, and spices added in.
This keto casserole combines perfectly fluffy eggs, plenty of cheese, low carb vegetables and crumbled sausage. You can make it ahead of time and it’s the perfect dish to feed a crowd.
It’s healthy, wholesome, and keeps you satisfied all morning. Pair it with a cup of keto coffee and you’ll feel like royalty!
Why this recipe works
- It’s made in one bowl, which means there is almost no clean up.
- There are no grains or flour substitutes needed, but you’ll be left with a thick and fluffy casserole.
- It’s easy to customize with whatever you have on hand. This is great if you’ve got leftover veggies, or random portions of protein.
- You can freeze leftovers for quick grab and go meals during the week.
The Ingredients to make this casserole is simple and use keto pantry staples and refrigerator basics. Here is what you’ll need:
- Cauliflower- Frozen cauliflower that has been lightly steamed and pat dry. This ensures to extra moisture gets into the casserole. Fresh cauliflower works, but I prefer the convenience of the frozen kind.
- Bell peppers- Red and green bell peppers.
- Onions- Chopped finely.
- Sausage- I used ground Italian sausage, but any sausage works, like turkey sausage.
- Eggs- For a higher protein casserole, you can use a mix of whole eggs and egg whites.
- Cottage cheese- Adds creaminess and richness to the casserole, without excess calories. Opt for full fat cottage cheese, which contains fewer carbs than low fat or fat free varieties.
- Cheddar cheese- Shredded cheese to mix through and on top of the casserole.
- Salt and pepper- To taste.
How to make keto breakfast casserole?
This keto breakfast casserole recipe is simple to make and follows a 3-step process. For such an easy recipe, you’ll be thrilled at the final result. If you are anything like me, you’ll make two at a time and freeze the second to enjoy at a later time.
Step 1- steam the cauliflower
Start by steaming your cauliflower until tender. Remove any excess moisture and set it aside.
Step 2- saute the sausage, peppers, and onions
Next, coat a non-stick pan with oil and place it over medium heat. Once hot, add the bell peppers, onions, and ground sausage. Cook for 3-4 minutes, until the meat has browned.
Step 3- Bake the casserole
Now, add your cauliflower, bell peppers, onions, and sausage into a greased baking dish. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, cottage cheese, cheddar cheese, salt, and pepper, until combined. Pour over the vegetables and sausage mixture and bake until the middle sets.
Tips to make the best recipe
- Steaming and sauteing the vegetables prior to baking them in the casserole is unnecessary. If you prefer your vegetables more tender, you can add them in raw. However, your cauliflower must be thawed completely, and the excess liquid must be removed.
- Grease your baking dish generously, to ensure that the egg and vegetable mixture doesn’t stick to it.
- For a make-ahead casserole, it’s best to bake it completely, then refrigerate it once it has cooled to room temperature. When ready to serve, simply reheat it in the oven.
The beauty of this egg bake is how easy it is to customize! From the vegetables, to the protein, to the cheeses, here are some suggestions to try:
- Vegetables- Add sliced mushrooms, green onions, chopped broccoli, and spinach.
- Cheese- Use another full flavored cheese, like parmesan or pepper Jack.
- Protein- Replace the ground sausage with bacon, shredded chicken, or even smoked salmon.
- Breakfast casserole with hash browns- Crumble some keto hash browns into the batter.
- Breakfast casserole with sausage– Crumble some turkey sausage throughout.
Wondering what’s the best way to store a breakfast casserole? Here are best practices for egg casserole storage:
- To store: Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator, covered. It will keep well for up to 1 week,
- To freeze: Place portions of the casserole in ziplock bags and store them in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- Reheating: Either microwave the casserole for 30 seconds or in a preheated oven for 10 minutes. Alternatively, this casserole tastes delicious cold, so you can enjoy it as is!
More keto casserole recipes to try
Frequently Asked Questions
If you’d like to make this ahead of time, you are best to cook it first, let it cool, then refrigerate it. Once ready to serve, add more cheese on top and reheat in the oven.
Eggs play a vital role in this dish. You can try experimenting with one of these egg substitutes.
When made as instructed, there are just 3 grams of net carbs per serving. If you add different ingredients or different vegetables, the carb content will change.
Keto Breakfast Casserole In 5 Minutes | Under 1 gram carbs!
- 1 lb frozen cauliflower
- 1 large bell pepper chopped
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1/4 lb Italian sausage crumbled * See notes
- 6 large eggs
- 4 large egg whites or extra eggs
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Grease a 9 x 13-inch baking dish and set aside.
- Steam or microwave your cauliflower until lightly tender. In a non-stick pan, add oil and place over medium heat. Once hot, add the onions, peppers, and ground sausage. Cook for 3-4 minutes, until the sausage is browned.
- Placed the cauliflower, vegetables, and sausage into the baking dish. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, egg whites, cottage cheese, shredded cheese and salt and pepper. Pour the mixture into the baking dish.
- Bake the casserole for 35-40 minutes, or until the center is cooked.
- Remove the casserole from the oven and serve immediately, or let it cool completely.