This keto oatmeal is a low carb breakfast made with just 4 ingredients! Thick, creamy, and easy to customize, it is perfect to enjoy hot or cold.
Is oatmeal ketogenic?
Traditional oatmeal is NOT a low carb food. It’s full of slow releasing carbohydrates and while it has some protein and fiber, the overall net carbs will kick you out of ketosis.
However, with a few tweaks, you can make a keto friendly oatmeal that is a fabulous low carb breakfast idea. It looks and tastes like oatmeal, and is so easy to make.
Why this keto oatmeal recipe will be a breakfast favorite-
- 4 Ingredients. No oats, grains, or wheat needed, but you’d never tell.
- Perfect hot or cold. Enjoy it warm or overnight oats style, directly from the refrigerator.
- Easy to meal prep. Make up to a week’s worth of breakfasts in advance!
How to make keto oatmeal
- Ground flaxseed– Also known as golden flaxmeal. If you only have whole flaxseeds, you can grind them yourself using a coffee grinder or high speed blender.
- Chia seeds– Thickens the ‘oatmeal’.
- Hemp hearts– the shelled part of the hemp seeds. Find these at health food stores, online, and specialty grocery stores.
- Milk of choice– I used unsweetened coconut milk but any keto milk works.
- Sweetener– Optional, but I like to add a few tablespoons of keto brown sugar or a powdered sugar substitute.
- Mix-ins– Low carb berries, nuts, almond butter, coconut flakes, etc.
Start by adding everything into a mixing bowl and refrigerating it for four hours to thicken and become creamy. After that, microwave the oatmeal for 30-40 seconds until warm, add your mix-ins, and enjoy.
Keto overnight oats
For keto overnight oats, once the mixture has set, simply serve in bowls and add your toppings.
- Strawberries and cream– Add 1/4 cup sliced strawberries, a teaspoon of sugar free white chocolate and stir through 1-2 tablespoons of heavy cream.
- Chocolate peanut butter– Add 2 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder and 2 tablespoons of peanut butter.
- Almond joy– Fold through 1 tablespoon of sugar free chocolate chips and sprinkle coconut flakes, almonds, and chocolate chips on top.
- Mixed berry– Add your favorite low carb berries, like strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries.
- Double chocolate– Add cocoa powder and chocolate chips and drizzle sugar free chocolate sauce on top.
- Cinnamon roll– Add cinnamon and drizzle with coffee creamer and chopped pecans.
Storing, freezing, and meal-prep instructions
- To store: Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator, covered, for up to one week.
- To freeze: Place single portions of the oatmeal in an airtight container and store them in the freezer for up to six month.
- Meal prep: Prep up to seven servings in one go. Simply quadruple the ingredients and let it sit overnight in the refrigerator. Once set, distribute into seven jars or bowls and cover. When ready to enjoy, simply microwave then add the toppings.
More keto breakfast recipes to try
Frequently Asked Questions
Traditional oatmeal is made with whole grains and is considered a carb.
There are just 2 grams of net carbs in each serving of keto oats.
You can swap out some of the ground flaxseed with almond flour, especially if you’d prefer a thinner hot cereal.
No kinds of oatmeal is suitable for a keto diet.
Keto Oatmeal (10 flavors!)
- Add everything in a large mixing bowl and refrigerate for 4 hours to thicken, until it reaches an overnight oats consistency (thick and creamy).
- If the mixture is too thick, add more milk.
- Microwave for 30-40 seconds, or until warm. Alternatively, enjoy overnight oats style.
- Add toppings and enjoy immediately.