This sugar free chocolate syrup is so rich and smooth, you won’t believe it is low carb! Made with just 3 ingredients, it’s perfect to amp up all your favorite keto desserts!
Sugar Free Chocolate Syrup
Growing up, one of my favorite desserts was ice cream sundaes. There was something special about the combination of ice cream, chocolate syrup, and sometimes some crushed nuts. Granted, it wasn’t really the ice cream itself that stood out, but the rich and smooth chocolate sauce poured all over it.
In my household, my mom would make her own chocolate syrup. We never had any of the bottled stuff and because of that, it tasted so much better. As it wasn’t the healthiest of treats, it wasn’t something we enjoyed regularly but when we did, it would essentially be a chocolate syrup with a side of ice cream.
Is chocolate syrup keto?
Since going keto, I’ve been using a few kinds of syrups, include Hershey’s and Torani syrups. Unfortunately, these two brands tend to be a little too expensive, and not necessarily keto friendly. Luckily, making your own homemade chocolate syrup is actually very easy to do, and even easier to make low carb!
I’ve been meaning to share a sugar free chocolate syrup recipe for quite some time. It needs just 3 main ingredients to make, and is perfect to add to all your favorite keto desserts!
No sugar and no dairy are needed, but you’d never tell. The texture is thick, smooth, and perfectly pourable. It’s sweet and full of chocolate, with no artificial aftertaste whatsoever!
The beauty of this syrup is just how versatile it is- Add it to smoothies, top your pancakes with them or even use them as a dipping sauce for strawberries!
How do you make a keto chocolate syrup?
- Granulated sweetener of choice– Allulose is preferred, as it doesn’t crystalize and won’t leave the sauce gritty. If you don’t have allulose, you can use keto powdered sugar.
- Cocoa powder– Unsweetened cocoa powder. Be sure to sift it well prior, to ensure there are no clumps throughout.
- Salt– A pinch to balance out all the sweetness.
- Water– Tap water or chilled water. Do not use boiling or hot water.
- Vanilla extract– A must, to give a lovely and light vanilla note.
Start by adding your sweetener, cocoa powder, and salt into a mixing bowl and whisk together until combined. Next, add them to a small saucepan, add the water, and place it over medium heat. Once it begins to boil, reduce the heat to low. Let it simmer for 1-2 minutes, stirring regularly.
Now, remove the saucepan from the heat. Let it cool to room temperature, then whisk in the vanilla extract. Transfer the chocolate syrup into a shallow container or jar and refrigerate for at least an hour, to thicken.
Tips to make the best sugar free chocolate sauce
- Don’t fret if the syrup seems very thin- it continues to thicken as it cools down.
- For a richer chocolate flavor, you can use dark or black cocoa powder. Again, make sure it is of the unsweetened kind.
- If you use a glass jar or bottle, be sure to sterilize them carefully prior to adding the syrup to them.
Storing and freezing keto chocolate sauce
- To store: Chocolate sauce can be stored in the refrigerator, in a sealed jar or container. It will keep well for up to 2 weeks. Remove the sauce from the refrigerator 15 minutes before using it.
- To freeze: Place leftover chocolate sauce in a shallow container and store it in the freezer for up to 6 months.
What to serve chocolate syrup with
Sugar Free Keto Chocolate Syrup
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cocoa powder, sweetener, and salt. Add it to a small saucepan and add the water and whisk once more.
- Place the saucepan over medium heat. Once it begins to boil, reduce to low heat. Let the sauce simmer for 1-2 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and whisk in the vanilla extract. Let the syrup cool completely, before transferring it to a shallow container or jar and refrigerating it for at least an hour, to thicken.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.