This keto ice cream is so rich and creamy, you won’t believe it’s made with 3 ingredients! No ice cream maker needed, this simple recipe comes with 6 flavor options!
Keto Ice Cream
To this day, If I had to pinpoint one dessert I could eat until eternity, it would be ice cream. No matter how full I am from my evening meal or how much I had eaten during the day, I will always find room for ice cream.
Since I started a keto diet, I’ve been finding a suitable solution to satisfy my frozen dessert habit because you know I’ll never give it up.
What ice cream is keto friendly?
We are fortunate to live in a world where keto friendly ice cream is available at many grocery stores. Brands like Halotop, Rebel, and Enlightened have all introduced a range of frozen desserts that cater to those who follow a low carb diet. However, if you are familiar with these brands, you’ll notice how expensive they are- Up to $15 for a single pint! Luckily, you can EASILY make your own keto ice cream and you only need 3 main ingredients to do so!
I’ve been meaning to share a keto ice cream recipe for quite some time. I developed this recipe before I had an ice cream maker, and I was thrilled with the result. I mean, no churn keto ice cream is my new go-to dessert and I will never turn back!
Now, this ice cream may look incredibly fancy but I promise you, it is so easy to make and no fancy gadgets needed. No sugar and no eggs are needed, but you’d never tell. The texture is super smooth, rich, and creamy. The ice cream is sweet and easily customizable, with over six flavor options!
One of my friends has just started a keto diet who is also obsessed with ice cream so I served them some of this and they could NOT believe it was low carb- It was so sweet and creamy!
How do you make keto ice cream?
- Heavy cream– Also known as double cream or thickened cream. Do not use reduced fat or light versions of the cream, otherwise, the ice cream will not set as desired.
- Powdered sweetener– A powdered form of any keto granulated sweetener. I never buy the expensive packaged options and instead, make my own. Xylitol, erythritol, and monk fruit sweetener are all fantastic options.
- Xanthan gum– Thickens the ice cream and gives it that scoopable texture.
- Vanilla extract– Optional, but only add it if you are making the original vanilla flavor. This can be changed to other flavor extracts.
In a deep and wide jar, add all the ingredients and gently mix. Using an immersion or stick mixer, blend the mixture until it has thickened and soft peaks form. Cover the jar and place it in the freezer for at least 4 hours, stirring every 40 minutes, to ensure it doesn’t ice up.
Tips to make the best keto ice cream recipe
- Add 1 tablespoon of vodka to the mixture to help with the creaminess and ability to scoop the ice cream. You will not taste any alcohol in the ice cream.
- You must regularly stir the mixture, to ensure it does not ice up.
- If you own an ice cream maker, you are able to use that instead of simply freezing it. If you choose this option, double the ingredients.
- Chocolate– Add 3 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder to the mixture.
- Cookies and cream– Replace the vanilla extract with almond extract and add 1 cup of crushed keto Oreos.
- Strawberry– Add 1/2 cup of sliced strawberries and 1/2 teaspoon of strawberry extract.
- Mint chocolate chip– Replace the vanilla extract with peppermint extract and fold through 1/2 cup sugar free chocolate chips.
- Butter pecan– Add 1/2 teaspoon butter extract and 1/4 cup chopped pecans.
Serving and re-freezing low carb ice cream
- To serve: If your ice cream is too icy once removed from the freezer, you can microwave it for 15 seconds or let it sit for 15 minutes.
- Re-freezing: The ice cream will become icier if re-frozen. If you do have leftovers and need to re-freeze them, place them in a new container and store them in the freezer for up to 1 month.
More keto ice cream recipes to try
Keto Ice Cream (6 Flavors!)
- In a deep and wide jar, add all your ingredients and mix. Using an immersion or stick mixer, beat everything together until it thickens and soft peaks form.
- Cover the jar and place it in the freezer for at least 4 hours, stirring every 40 minutes, to ensure it doesn't become too icy.
- Remove from the freezer and let sit for 15 minutes, before serving.
- Chocolate- Add 3 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder to the mixture.
- Cookies and cream- Replace the vanilla extract with almond extract and add 1 cup of crushed keto Oreos.
- Strawberry- Add 1/2 cup of sliced strawberries and 1/2 teaspoon of strawberry extract.
- Mint chocolate chip- Replace the vanilla extract with peppermint extract and fold through 1/2 cup sugar free chocolate chips.
- Butter pecan- Add 1/2 teaspoon butter extract and 1/4 cup chopped pecans.