Sweet, rich, and creamy keto chocolate mousse made with just 3 ingredients! As far as quick and easy keto desserts go, it doesn’t get much better than this!
The Best Keto chocolate mousse recipe
You might recall that I’ve already shared a couple of incredible keto no bake dessert recipes- like ice cream and a simple chocolate pudding, but none have been as easy as this low carb chocolate mousse.
This is the kind of dessert you can make when you are entertaining and are short on time OR when you just want a simple chocolate fix.
It comes together will very little prep and you can make it ahead of time if you like.
This sugar free and gluten-free chocolate mousse recipe has less than 2 grams of carbs per serving and NO sugar!
Ingredients you’ll need
Cream, chocolate, and vanilla extract: that is it! You’ve probably got everything in your pantry/kitchen already, but let’s break each one down to make things easier for you:
- Heavy cream. Also known as double cream or thickened cream. For the best results, let your cream sit at room temperature.
- Chocolate. Any sugar free chocolate can work. I prefer sugar free chocolate chips, as I like my mousse to be sweet. However, if you prefer an ultra rich and dark mousse, use a keto chocolate bar that has at least 78% cocoa content (like Lindt chocolate).
- Vanilla Extract. A must for any good keto mousse!
How to make a low carb chocolate mousse
Making this homemade chocolate mousse is so quick and easy, and doesn’t require any fancy kitchen gadgets or equipment. I recommend prepping all your ingredients and utensils required first, then make it.
Step 1- Heat the cream
Start by heating half your cream in a small saucepan, on low heat. The other half of the cream will be added in later. I like using a non-stick saucepan because the cream never scorches and it cooks everything evenly. Once it simmers, remove from the heat.
Step 2- Melt the chocolate
Next, place your chocolate into a large mixing bowl. You want your mixing bowl to be on the larger side because this is what we will mix everything in. Pour your warm cream over the top and let it sit for 1-2 minutes. This will allow the cream to melt the chocolate chips. After a few minutes, you can gently whisk it all together until smooth and glossy.
Now, you’ll want to add the remaining cream and the vanilla extract and gently fold it through.
Step 3- Chill and blend
Finally, cover the bowl and refrigerate it for 2-3 hours. When it’s done, remove the mousse from the fridge and, using an electric hand mixer, whip the mousse until stiff peaks form.
Once the keto mousse is stable and firm, it is ready to enjoy. Distribute the mousse amongst eight 6-inch ramekins or simply scoop it out into bowls. Top it with some keto whipped cream or drizzle it with some sugar free chocolate syrup.
This recipe makes 8 heaping 1/4 cup servings.
Tips for success
- You can prepare the mousse for up to 3 days in advance. You can keep in the mixing bowl during this time.
- Allow your cream to reach room temperature, before heating in the saucepan. This avoids the sides of the pan burning because of the cold cream.
- When beating the chilled mousse, stop as soon as stiff peaks form. Any more and the mousse will be too fluffy and will sink once transferred to bowls.
- Spread the chocolate mousse over some brownies, for a decadent dessert idea.
While this mousse tastes incredible on its own, here are some fun flavor variations for you to try!
- Espresso: Add 1/2 teaspoon espresso powder to the mousse.
- Peppermint: Fold through 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract.
- Orange Chocolate: Add orange zest and orange extract to the mousse, and serve with candied citrus peel.
- Coconut: Serve the mousse with coconut whipped cream, toasted coconut flakes and shredded coconut.
- Strawberry: Fold through 1/4 cup sliced strawberries into the mousse (pre-blending) and top with sliced strawberries on top.
More keto chocolate recipes to try
Frequently Asked Questions
This low carb chocolate mousse has just 2 grams net carbs per serving! This is easily one of the lowest carb mousse recipes you’ll ever find.
If you’d like another similar low carb dessert, try the chocolate avocado mousse which also has 2 grams of carbs or a peanut butter mousse, which has 3 grams of carbs.
Double cream, heavy cream, and thickened cream are all keto friendly. They are primarily made of fat with small amounts of protein and very negligible amounts of carbs.
Low fat and reduced fat cream are higher in carbs, as they often compensate for the lack of fat with extra thickeners and sugar.
Yes, this chocolate mousse can easily be dairy free, with a few simple swaps.
Instead of the heavy cream, use a plant based double cream. For the chocolate chips, use dairy free chocolate chips or chunks. I prefer the Enjoy Life brand of them.
There are around 200 calories per serving.
Keto Chocolate Mousse in 2 Minutes | Just 3 Ingredients
- 2 cups heavy cream room temperature
- 1 cup chocolate * See notes
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small saucepan, add half the heavy cream. On low heat, heat up until it begins to simmer. Once it is warm, remove from the heat.
- Place the chopped chocolate into a heatproof bowl. Pour the warm cream over it over the chocolate and add the vanilla. Leave to melt for a minute, then stir with a whisk until all of the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth and well combined.
- Whisk in the remaining cream. Adding this cold cream helps to cool the mixture down faster. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. After it is chilled, remove from the refrigerator.
- Whip the chocolate cream with an electric hand mixer until stiff peaks form- do not overmix. Distribute the mousse between 4 bowls or 8 small ones.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.