This keto chocolate mousse is smooth, rich, and creamy, and blended to perfection. A delicious no bake dessert that is perfect for any occasion- No one will know it is sugar free and low carb! 1 gram net carb per serving.
Chocolate mousse is a classic and timeless dessert that is perfect for any time of the year! Growing up, I used to buy the mini portion controlled ones, that would come in a pack of 4. As my tastebuds have matured, I’ve come to appreciate a good homemade version.
I’ve always been intimidated by making my own mousse, but it is so easy and simple to make. The best part was that it happened to naturally be low carb, but you’d never be able to tell. It’s just 3 simple ingredients, and you can make it as dark or sweet as you want!
How do you make chocolate mousse
- Heavy cream– Also known as double cream or thickened cream. For the best results, let your cream sit at room temperature.
- Chocolate– Any sugar free chocolate can work. I prefer sugar free chocolate chips, as I like my mousse to be sweet. However, if you prefer an ultra rich and dark mousse, use a keto chocolate bar that has at least 78% cocoa content (like Lindt chocolate).
- Vanilla Extract– A must for any good keto mousse!
Start by heating up half your cream in a small saucepan, on low heat. Once it begins to simmer, remove from the heat. Place your chocolate into a large mixing bowl. Pour your warm cream over the top, and add the vanilla extract. Let it sit for 1-2 minutes, before gently whisking it all together, until smooth and combined. Add the remaining half of the cream and fold through. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for 2-3 hours. Remove from the refrigerator and using a stick mixer, whip the mousse until stiff peaks form. Distribute the mousse amongst 4 large bowls or 8 small ones, and serve.
Can I make this vegan?
Yes, this chocolate mousse can easily be made vegan and dairy free, with a few simple swaps.
Instead of the heavy cream, use a plant based double cream. For the chocolate chips, use dairy free chocolate chips or chunks. I prefer the Enjoy Life brand of them.
Tips for the perfect mousse
- You can prepare the mousse for up to 3 days in advance. You can keep in the mixing bowl for
- Allow your cream to reach room temperature, before heating up in the saucepan. This avoids the sides of the pan burning, due to the cold cream.
- When beating the chilled mousse, stop as soon as stiff peaks form. Any more and the mousse will be too fluffy and will sink once transferred to bowls.
- Spread the chocolate mousse over some brownies, for a decadent dessert idea.
- Espresso Chocolate Mousse– Add 1/2 teaspoon espresso powder to the mousse.
- Peppermint Chocolate Mousse– Fold through 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract.
- Orange Chocolate Mousse- Add orange zest and orange extract to the mousse, and serve with candied citrus peel.
- Coconut Mousse– Serve the mousse with coconut whipped cream, toasted coconut flakes and shredded coconut.
Storing and Freezing Tips
- To store: Mousse should always be stored in the refrigerator, completely covered, to ensure no moisture seeps in. The mousse will keep well for up to 2 weeks.
- To freeze: You can freeze the chocolate mousse, by placing it in a freezer friendly container, for up to 6 months. Thaw the mousse overnight in the refrigerator.
More delicious keto dessert recipes to try
- Chocolate Mousse Pie
- Peanut Butter Cheesecake
- Creme Brulee
- Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Cookies and Cream Cheesecake
Keto Chocolate Mousse
- 2 cups heavy cream room temperature
- 1 cup chocolate * See notes
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- In a small saucepan, add half the heavy cream. On low heat, heat up until it begins to simmer. Once it is warm, remove from the heat.
- Place the chopped chocolate into a heatproof bowl. Pour the warm cream over it over the chocolate and add the vanilla. Leave to melt for a minute, then stir with a whisk until all of the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth and well combined.
- Whisk in the remaining cream. Adding this cold cream helps to cool the mixture down faster. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. After it is chilled, remove from the refrigerator.
- Whip the chocolate cream with an electric hand mixer until stiff peaks form- do not overmix. Distribute the mousse between 4 bowls or 8 small ones.