These keto ice cream bars are the ultimate frozen dessert that you won’t believe to be low carb! A chewy brownie coating filled with sweet, creamy, ice cream.
The Best Keto Ice Cream Bar
This keto ice cream bar recipe is one of my favorite low carb dessert recipes to make during the warmer months.
Now, you may wonder what makes this frozen dessert so good. Well, the overall presentation and flavor of these ice cream bars sets them apart. They encompass everything a good ice cream bar has and more: an ideal balance of sweet, creamy, and with a fancy chocolate coating.
The secret trick is using a fabulous chocolate base for the exterior and in this case, we are using actual keto brownies. Yes, the creamy ice cream is bound by two chewy brownie pieces that taste decadent but STILL remain low carb.
I mean, there are just 3 grams of net carbs per serving!
Plus, I love just how easy they are to make: you prep the brownies, spread the ice cream and then let it set. It is that simple!
What are keto ice cream bars made of?
What I love about this recipe is the simple ingredient list. If you make any of my other keto recipes, you’ll definitely have everything on hand.
- Almond flour. Blanched almond flour is preferred, but you can also use almond meal. I rarely recommend the latter for any of my recipes, but as these brownies are just for the exterior, it won’t matter too much.
- Cocoa powder. Unsweetened cocoa powder. For a richer flavor, use dark cocoa powder.
- Allulose. My go-to sweetener of choice as it dissolves exactly like sugar.
- Baking powder. Gives some rise to the brownies.
- Butter. Salted and measured it its softened state.
- Chocolate. Any chocolate bar above 70% cocoa content is generally keto friendly. I love using Lindt 85%.
- Eggs. Room temperature.
- Vanilla extract. A must for any good baked good!
- Keto ice cream. Any good quality keto ice cream works from the grocery store works or make your own.
How to make low carb ice cream bars
All you need to get cooking is to grab your ingredients, a mixing bowl, two square pans and the easy 3-step process below:
Step 1- make the brownie batter
Start by whisking together your dry ingredients and mix until combined.
Next, in a microwave-safe bowl, add the butter and chocolate and microwave until mostly melted. Whisk together until smooth, before adding the eggs and vanilla extract. Gently fold through the dry ingredients, until just combined.
Step 2- Bake the brownies
Now, distribute the batter between two 9 x 9-inch pans and use a rubber spatula to spread it out. Place a piece of parchment paper on top of each and press down. This will ensure the brownies remain compact and firm, which will hold the ice cream so much better.
Bake the brownies for 12-14 minutes. Remove from the oven and remove the layers of parchment paper on top. After 10 minutes, carefully remove one pan of brownies and place it on a cooling rack. The other one will remain in its pan.
Step 3- Add the ice cream layer
Finally, remove your keto ice cream from the freezer and let it sit for 10 minutes, to soften. Scoop out the ice cream onto the brownie that is still in the pan, and spread it out all over it. Place the brownie that has cooled on the cooling rack on top of it, and place the filled pan into the freezer for at least an hour to freeze.
Once frozen, remove from the freezer and remove any excess ice cream from the sides. Using a sharp knife, cut into 9 bars.
Tips to make the best recipe
- It is okay if your brownies aren’t completely cooled, as it will help soften the ice cream.
- Ensure one of the two pans of brownies remains in the pan so you can spread the ice cream on top.
- If you’d like to make bars like the ones Costco sells, make keto popsicles instead.
Like any frozen dessert, these bars should always be stored in the freezer. You can freeze them individually in ziplock bags, ensuring there are no air pockets. They will keep for at least 6 months.
FAQS about keto ice cream bars
Are halo ice cream bars keto?
Halo Top Creamery has a specialty range of ice cream bars that are suitable for a keto diet. They have less than 3 grams net carbs each and come in several flavors.
How many carbs are in a keto ice cream bar?
This homemade recipe for ice cream bars has just 3 grams of carbs each.
Are Klondike bars keto-friendly?
Although they have a no sugar added option, Klondike bars are still loaded with carbs, with over 30 grams per bar.
More ice cream recipes to try
- Peanut butter ice cream
- Brownie ice cream
- Cookie dough ice cream
- Avocado ice cream
- Coconut milk ice cream
Keto Ice Cream Bars
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons allulose
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup + 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons keto chocolate chips
- 5 large eggs room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 pints keto ice cream * See notes
- Line two 9-inch square pans with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add your dry ingredients and mix well. In a microwave safe bowl, add your butter and chocolate and microwave until mostly melted. Mix together until combined, before whisking in the eggs and vanilla extract.
- Moving quickly, add the dry ingredients into the wet and mix until just combined. Distribute the brownie batter amongst the two lined pans and spread out into a thin layer. Add another piece of parchment paper on both of the pans. Using your hands, press down lightly on each one to touch the brownie batter.
- Bake the brownies for 12-14 minutes, before removing them from the oven. Remove the top layer of parchment paper before letting the brownies cool in the pans for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, remove one of the brownies from the pan and allow it to cool on a cooling rack.
- Remove your ice cream from the freezer and let it soften for 10 minutes. Scoop out portions of the ice cream onto the brownie that has remained in the pan. Spread out the ice cream before adding the other brownie layer on top. Gently press down on it before transferring it to the freezer until frozen.
- Once frozen, use a sharp knife to slice into 9 bars.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.
I LOVE YOU, ARMAN!!!
I’m going shopping for ingredients for your ice cream sandwich recipe!!!
This sounds excellent—and I love it that you look out for all the Keto sweet tooth’s in the land. I’ve made your: chocolate cake with icing. Unbelievable!!
Coconut crack candy. Stupendous!!
Chocolate toffee. The bomb.
I’m not a cook that ever really made deserts.
AND I’ve followed your recipes & tips and you are the MAN!!!
THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!!
You are so welcome, Kathleen!
You did not disappoint, the ice cream sandwiches are unbelievable!!
I did keep them separate & I’m working on making ice cream bars…But, I did taste the brownie & ice cream together….just excellent!!!
Again Thank you!
Thank you, Kathy!
Hi I didn’t see a temp setting for the oven
It is 180C/350F 🙂