These keto ice cream bars are the ultimate frozen dessert that you won’t believe to be low carb! Made with simple ingredients, they are easily customizable and take minutes to prepare! 3 grams net carbs per serving.
Keto Ice Cream Bars
It’s no secret that I have an insatiable sweet tooth. Name any dessert and I’ll most likely claim it to be my favorite. If you ever come to my house, you’ll find a plethora of sweets in my freezer, refrigerator, and countertop. While some may think my absolute favorites are a chocolate cake or a peanut butter mousse, I will NEVER ever turn down some ice cream.
In my personal opinion, ice cream should be its own food group. No matter where in the world I am or what time of the day it is, I will always find room for ice cream. Since going keto, I’ve found some great grocery store options, and one of my favorite ones is from Costco. It’s a keto sea salt caramel ice cream bar and honestly, I could eat 10 of them in one go. The only downside is that they are SO expensive, and my closest Costco is over an hour away. Luckily, I’ve been able to make my own even version at home!
I’ve been meaning to share a keto ice cream bar recipe for quite some time. I was inspired to make my own after seeing a food show on TV where the chefs made ice cream sandwiches using brownies! Now, these may look incredibly fancy but I promise you they are SO easy to make and no fancy kitchen gadgets are required.
No sugar and no grains are needed, but you’d never tell. The texture of the ice cream is smooth and creamy, and the brownie exterior is super chewy. These bars have hints of chocolate flavor from the brownies, but the ice cream filling can be easily customized!
I had some friends over for a BBQ and for dessert, I served them these straight from the freezer, and NO ONE believed me when I said they were low carb- They thought I had bought a package of grocery store ice cream bars!
How do you make keto ice cream bars?
- Almond flour– Blanched almond flour is preferred, but you can also use almond meal. I typically don’t recommend the latter for any of my recipes, but as these brownies are just for the exterior, it won’t matter too much.
- Cocoa powder– Unsweetened cocoa powder. For a richer flavor, use dark cocoa powder.
- Sweetener of choice– I prefer using erythritol, but monk fruit sweetener can also be used.
- Baking powder– Gives some rise to the brownies.
- Butter– Salted butter, as we don’t include any salt in the recipe.
- Chocolate– Any chocolate bar above 70% cocoa content is generally keto friendly. I love using Lindt 85%.
- Eggs– Room temperature eggs.
- Vanilla extract– A must for any good baked good!
- Keto ice cream– Any good quality keto ice cream can be used. I’ve tried Halotop white chocolate and So Delicious No Added Sugar Vanilla coconut milk ice cream.
Start by whisking together your dry ingredients and mix until combined. Next, in a microwave safe bowl, add the butter and chocolate and microwave until mostly melted. Whisk together until smooth, before adding the eggs and vanilla extract. Gently fold through the dry ingredients, until just combined.
Now, distribute the batter between two 9 x 9-inch pans and use a rubber spatula to spread it out evenly. Place a piece of parchment paper on top of each and press down. Bake the brownies for 12-14 minutes. Remove from the oven and remove the layers of parchment paper on top. After 10 minutes, carefully remove one of the brownies from the pan and place it on a cooling rack.
Finally, remove your keto ice cream from the freezer and let it sit for 10 minutes, to soften. Scoop out the ice cream onto the brownie that is still in the pan, and spread it out all over it. Place the brownie that has cooled on the cooling rack on top of it, and place the filled pan into the freezer for at least an hour, to freeze. Once frozen, remove from the freezer and remove any excess ice cream from the sides. Using a sharp knife, cut into 9 bars.
Tips to make the best low carb ice cream bars
- It is okay if your brownies aren’t completely cooled, as it will help soften the ice cream.
- If you’d like to use homemade ice cream, you can make a keto vanilla ice cream, but quadruple the amount.
- If you’d like to make bars like the ones Costco sells, omit the brownie part completely. Instead, soften your favorite keto ice cream and spread it in a square pan lined with parchment paper. Place another piece of parchment paper on top and freeze until firm. Once firm, cut into bars. Moving quickly, dip them completely in melted chocolate chips until covered. Place on a lined plate or tray and freeze until the chocolate has firmed up.
Storing keto ice cream sandwiches
Ice cream bars should always be stored in the freezer. You can freeze them individually in ziplock bags, ensuring there are no air pockets. They will keep for at least 6 months.
More keto dessert recipes you’ll enjoy
Keto Ice Cream Bars
- Line two 9-inch square pans with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add your dry ingredients and mix well. In a microwave safe bowl, add your butter and chocolate and microwave until mostly melted. Mix together until combined, before whisking in the eggs and vanilla extract.
- Moving quickly, add the dry ingredients into the wet and mix until just combined. Distribute the brownie batter amongst the two lined pans and spread out into a thin layer. Add another piece of parchment paper on both of the pans. Using your hands, press down lightly on each one to touch the brownie batter.
- Bake the brownies for 12-14 minutes, before removing them from the oven. Remove the top layer of parchment paper before letting the brownies cool in the pans for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, remove one of the brownies from the pan and allow it to cool on a cooling rack.
- Remove your ice cream from the freezer and let it soften for 10 minutes. Scoop out portions of the ice cream onto the brownie that has remained in the pan. Spread out the ice cream before adding the other brownie layer on top. Gently press down on it before transferring it to the freezer until frozen.
- Once frozen, use a sharp knife to slice into 9 bars.