This keto simple syrup is a low carb and sugar free take on the cocktail and beverage addition! Made with just 2 ingredients, it’s perfect for both alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks! 2 grams net carbs per serving.
Keto Simple Syrup
When it comes to keto beverage condiments, my favorite recipes to make are coffee creamer, condensed milk, and this keto simple syrup.
When I first became the legal age of drinking, my go-to drink of choice was always cocktails. I never warmed up to hard liquor, beer, or wines, and needed all my drinks to be on the sweeter side.
Since going keto, I was very resistant to give up on my favorite cocktails. I did some deep diving and found that the culprit of adding carbs to them was all the syrups, added sugar, and fruit juices used to spike them. Instead of omitting cocktails altogether, I’ve decided to make my own simple syrup.
I’ve been meaning to share a keto simple syrup recipe for quite some time. As someone who prefers cocktails over beers, wine, or champagne, this simple syrup has made my drinks MUCH tastier. Now, this syrup is so simple to make, and you’ll add it to more than just cocktails- It’s great in coffee, hot drinks, and smoothies!
No sugar and no thickeners are needed, but you’d never tell. The texture is thin but very slightly thick, perfect to mix into drinks easily. The syrup is pleasantly sweet and a small bit goes a long way!
I had some friends over for dinner and drinks the other night and used this syrup in all the cocktails and mixers and NO ONE believed me when I told them they were sugar free- They thought it had to be loaded with it!
How do you make keto simple syrup?
- Granulated sweetener of choice– I highly recommend allulose, as it dissolves exactly as sugar does. However, if you don’t have any on hand, erythritol or Splenda can also be used.
- Water– Room temperature water.
- Xanthan gum– Optional, but a dash will thicken the syrup beautifully.
Start by adding the sweetener and water into a small saucepan and place it over low heat. Stir it gently, while it dissolves, and allow it to heat up until it begins to simmer. If using the xanthan gum, add it here and whisk well, until dissolved. Remove the saucepan from the heat and allow it to cool completely.
Once cool, transfer to a sealable glass or jar.
Tips to make the best sugar free simple syrup
- If you’d prefer a thicker syrup, definitely add the xanthan gum or allow the mixture to simmer for an extra 15 minutes.
- While any granulated sweetener can be used, allulose is the best keto sweetener, as, unlike others, it dissolves exactly like sugar does, without any grittiness.
- Ginger– Add 1/4 teaspoon of ginger extract.
- Rose– Whisk through 1/2 teaspoon rosewater extract once the simple syrup has cooled.
- Mint– Add 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract and add fresh mint leaves once the syrup has cooled.
- Lavender– Fold through 1/2 teaspoon lavender extract halfway through the simmering stage.
- Vanilla– Add 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract or a vanilla bean pod.
Storing and freezing low carb simple syrup
- To store: Simple syrup can be stored at room temperature, in a sealed container, for up to 2 months. If you’d like to keep it longer, store it in the refrigerator and it will keep well for up to 6 months.
- To freeze: Place the jar of syrup in the freezer and store it there for up to 6 months.
What to add simple syrup to
Keto Simple Syrup- 2 ingredients!
- In a small saucepan, add the water and granulated sweetener and place over low heat. Regularly whisk the mixture until the sweetener dissolves. Once the syrup begins to simmer, whisk through the xanthan gum, before removing from the heat.
- Allow the syrup to cool completely, before transferring to a glass jar or bottle.