keThis keto lemonade is made with a combination of sugar free simple syrup and fresh lemon juice! Prepare a big batch in advance and keep it stored in the refrigerator to always have on hand! 2 grams net carbs per serving.
Growing up, my mom loved to make things from scratch. This included everything from lunch box snacks, frozen treats, and our dinner every single night. One thing she also made was homemade lemonade.
My mom would make lemonade every few weeks using the fresh lemons in our backyard. She wasn’t keen on my sister or me drinking the packaged variety as it contained far too much sugar. Her homemade would use less than half what the packaged kinds had, but would taste just as good. I stole her recipe to try and give it a low carb makeover.
Are lemons keto friendly?
Lemons are one of the friendly keto fruits, as they contain a mere 2 grams net carbs per 1/4 cup serving. While I love to use lemons for some special keto desserts, like lemon meringue pie or lemon bars, I love using them to make lemonade!
Sharing with you a keto lemonade recipe has been on the agenda for quite some time. For everyone who is blessed with a lemon tree can now use it to literally make lemonade. It’s the most refreshing drink that can be made with either water or seltzer water.
No sugar and no high fructose corn syrup are needed, but you’d never tell. It’s sweet, tangy, and perfectly served over ice. I love making a big batch and keeping it in the refrigerator to always have on hand.
With summer entertaining now in full swing, I love having friends over for evening drinks- This lemonade works well with some liquor for a refreshing low carb cocktail!
How do you make a keto lemonade
- Sugar free simple syrup– I used a homemade keto simple syrup. All you need is water and sweetener to make it and is perfectly smooth and thick.
- Lemon juice– Bottled or fresh lemon juice.
- Water OR seltzer water– Use water if you are making traditional lemonade, but seltzer works if you are serving it immediately.
Start by adding the simple syrup and lemon juice into a large jug and whisk together until completely combined. Add either water or seltzer and whisk until just combined. Serve in tall glasses filled with ice.
Sugar free lemonade syrup
If you’d like to keep this as a sugar free lemonade syrup, don’t add the water or seltzer water. Simply place the ‘lemonade syrup’ into a sterilized jar or container and store it in the refrigerator, covered. It will keep well for up to 4 weeks. When ready to enjoy, simply add in 3 tablespoons of the syrup with 1 cup of water or seltzer water.
Storing sugar free lemonade
- To store: Place the prepared lemonade (with water) into a glass jar or bottle and store it in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
- To serve: Add 2-3 ice cubes into a glass and fill with homemade lemonade.
More keto drink recipes to try
- 1/4 cup keto simple syrup
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 8 cups water * See notes
- In a glass jug, add your simple syrup and lemon juice and whisk together. Add your water and whisk until combined.
- Pour into glasses filled with ice, and refrigerate leftovers.