This keto chocolate milk is a low carb and sugar free twist on the classic chocolate flavored milk! Made with just 3 ingredients, it takes less than a minute to make and is perfect chilled or warm! 2 grams net carbs per serving.
Keto Chocolate Milk
Growing up, my mom made it a point for me to always have a glass of milk with breakfast. Every morning, I’d come to the dining table ready for breakfast and have that elusive glass of liquid glaring at me. There’s no nice way to put it- I HATED drinking plain milk. Even to this day, the thought of drinking milk on its own actually repulses me. I think that is why the transition to a dairy free diet was VERY easy for me.
Now, I was never allowed to leave the table until the milk had been drunk, and let me just say some mornings (especially before I started primary school), breakfast would be a two-hour affair. I think after the second week of hour long breakfasts, my mom changed her rule and started letting me put some chocolate powder into it. Let’s just say that I soon actually started looking forward to my morning meal purely for that.
Now that I am much older (and less fussy), I realize that the chocolate powder was not really the healthiest of additions. While it did make my milk taste incredible, it added a ton of sugar. Luckily, I’ve been able to satisfy my chocolate milk with my own homemade and healthy version.
I’ve been meaning to share a keto chocolate milk recipe for quite some time. It reminds me so much of my favorite childhood (and even now) beverage, and is so easy to make, using just 3 ingredients. No dairy and no sugar is needed, but you’d never tell. The texture is smooth, silky, and creamy. It’s sweet and full of chocolate flavor, and can easily be customized to have an even more intense chocolate flavor.
What I love about this chocolate milk is that it is a fabulous way to get some extra nutrients in, minus the sugar and carbs. It’s also great to give to the little ones without feeling even remotely guilty!
How do you make low carb chocolate milk?
- Unsweetened almond or coconut milk– I’ve tried this milk with both almond and coconut milk and enjoy them both. Use your favorite milk of choice.
- Cocoa powder– Unsweetened cocoa powder. Be sure to sift it first, to ensure there are no clumps in it.
- Powdered sweetener– Mixes into the milk much easier than a granulated sweetener. I used keto powdered sugar.
In a high speed blender, add your milk of choice with cocoa powder and blend until combined. Next, add the powdered sweetener and blend once more, until combined.
Now, pour into a tall glass filled with ice, or cover and refrigerate, to enjoy later.
Tips to make the best sugar free chocolate milk
- Adjust the cocoa amount, depending on how intense of a chocolate flavor you like.
- For a protein chocolate milk, add 1 scoop of your favorite chocolate protein powder.
- Instead of using standard almond or coconut milk in your chocolate cake, chocolate muffins, or chocolate cupcakes, replace it with this chocolate milk.
Storing and freezing chocolate milk
- To store: Chocolate milk should be stored in the refrigerator, in a glass jar or bottle. It will keep well for up to 2 weeks.
- To freeze: Place the milk in shallow containers and store it in the freezer for up to 6 months. Thaw the milk until it is a liquid form, before drinking.
More keto drink recipes to try
Keto Chocolate Milk
- In a high speed blender, add your milk and cocoa and blend until combined. Add the powdered sweetener and blend once more.
- Pour into glasses filled with ice, or refrigerate until cold.