These almond flour cupcakes are so moist, fluffy, and tender, you won’t believe that they are low carb! Made in just one bowl, these cupcakes are a showstopping keto dessert! 2 grams net carbs per serving.
Almond Flour Cupcakes
Whenever a friend or family member of mine has a birthday, I ALWAYS make it a point to bake them something. I’ve become well versed into what kinds of desserts they prefer, and I tend to alternate between either a chocolate cake or a batch of brownies. Recently though, I’ve been fulfilling a particular friend’s request and making her some chocolate cupcakes!
Don’t ever start the cupcake VS muffin debate with me, because I’ll always argue the case for the cupcakes. They are far more superior to a humble muffin, purely because it is a non-negotiable for there to be frosting on top. I’ve been meaning to share an almond flour cupcake recipe for quite some time now, especially since I have been using almond flour like it is going out of style!
No grains, no butter, and no oil are needed for these cupcakes, but you’d never tell. They are moist, fluffy, and with a gorgeous tender crumb. They are sweet and full of chocolate flavor, only taken up a notch by the creamy chocolate frosting!
Now, none of my friends or family members follow a particularly low carb or keto diet, but NO ONE believed me when I said these were made with almond flour- they swore it tasted like a classic cupcake made with wheat flour!
How do you make keto chocolate cupcakes?
- Almond flour– Blanched almond flour or superfine almond flour. Avoid using almond meal as it tends to yield a more dense cupcake.
- Cocoa powder– Unsweetened cocoa powder or dark cocoa powder. I prefer using the latter as it gives a richer flavor and beautiful almost black color.
- Granulated sweetener of choice– Either monk fruit sweetener or erythritol can be used.
- Baking soda- Gives the cupcakes some rise and fluffiness.
- Salt– Brings out the sweetness of all the ingredients
- Eggs– Room temperature eggs. Avoid subbing this out with a substitute, as it has not been tested.
- Sour cream OR yogurt– I prefer using sour cream, but Greek or plain yogurt can also be used.
- Vanilla extract– A must for any good muffin or cake recipe!
- Chocolate frosting– Every good cupcake needs a good keto chocolate frosting to top it with!
Start by mixing together your dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Next, add the rest of the ingredients and whisk together until just combined and mostly smooth.
Now, transfer the cupcake batter into a greased, 12-count muffin tin. Bake for around 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out mostly clean. Let the cupcakes cool completely before pipping your chocolate frosting on each one.
Tips to make the best low carb chocolate cupcakes
- Avoid overmixing the batter as overmixing can result in the center of the cupcakes sinking after it has been baked.
- Do not overbake the cupcakes, as they continue to cook in the muffin tin as they are cooling down.
- Don’t worry if the tops of the cupcakes are a little bit rough looking. They will be completely covered up with frosting.
Storing and freezing almond meal cupcakes
- To store: Leftover cupcakes can keep at room temperature for up to 48 hours. Any longer, you will need to store them in the refrigerator. Keep them covered and they can be kept for up to 1 week.
- To freeze: Place leftover cupcakes in a ziplock bag or shallow container and store in the freezer for up to 2 months.
More almond flour recipes to try
Almond Flour Cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Lightly grease and line a 12-count muffin tin with muffin liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, add your dry ingredients and mix well, until combined. Add in your wet ingredients and mix well, until just combined and mostly smooth.
- Distribute your cupcake batter evenly amongst the muffin tin. Bake for around 20 minutes, or until a skewer comes out mostly clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool completely. Once cool, pipe the chocolate frosting on top.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.