An easy keto and low carb chocolate mug cake recipe made with almond flour! Made without coconut and without eggs, this light and gooey almond flour mug cake takes a minute in the microwave! Bonus? It comes with a tested oven option too! Paleo, Vegan, Gluten-Free.
Low Carb Almond Flour Mug Cake
After finding some leftover almond flour on hand, I wanted to make a classic chocolate mug cake using almond flour!
Unlike other keto mug cake recipes, this is a little different. It is made with no coconut and no eggs, so it is vegan, paleo and gluten-free!
Tender on the outside, super moist on the inside, it’s the ultimate single-serving keto dessert!
Almond Flour Mug Cake Ingredients
- Almond Flour
- Cocoa Powder
- Baking powder
- Granulated sweetener of choice
- Almond Butter
- Coconut milk
- Chocolate Chips
In terms of ingredient substitutions, here are tested alternatives.
How to make a chocolate mug cake with almond flour
- Grease a microwave-safe ramekin or cereal bowl with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine your dry ingredients and mix well. Add your almond butter and coconut milk and mix until a thick batter remains. Fold in your chocolate chips (and any other add-ins of choice).
- Transfer your mug cake batter to the greased ramekin/cereal bowl. Place in the microwave and microwave for 1-2 minutes, or until just set.
- Remove from the microwave and let sit for 1 minute, before enjoying.
How to make chocolate almond flour mug cake without a microwave
Easily make this almond flour chocolate cake in the oven, if you don’t have a microwave or choose not to use one.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F and grease an oven-safe ramekin or dish with cooking spray.
- Follow the instructions as you would if you make it in the microwave.
- Transfer the batter to the oven-safe dish. Bake the mug cake for 10-12 minutes, or until warm and set on the top.
- Remove from the oven and allow to sit at room temperature for 1 minute, before enjoying.
Can you prepare the mug cake batter in advance?
I would not recommend preparing the mug cake batter in advance and baking at a later time, as the ingredients will absorb the coconut milk (or milk of choice) and it will become dry and brittle.
Mug cakes are best to be made immediately and it only takes a minute!
Tips and Tricks for a PERFECT almond flour chocolate mug cake
Use only smooth and drippy nut or seed butter. If you use a crunchy or homemade blend, it will not bake as well.
If your cake batter is a little too thick, add an extra tablespoon or two of milk.
For a more gooey and soft chocolate mug cake, you can cut the baking time. The batter has no eggs, so is safe to eat!
Feel free to add some other ingredients into the batter, like raspberries, berries or nuts!
The chocolate cake batter won’t rise, so feel free to top it with the fun add-in ingredients, or extra chocolate chips.
Share this recipe on Pinterest
Love this Keto Almond Flour Chocolate Mug Cake (Paleo, Vegan) recipe?
Share it with the world on Pinterest.
Keto Almond Flour Chocolate Mug Cake (Paleo, Vegan)
- Grease a microwave-safe bowl or ramekin and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add your dry ingredients and mix well. Add your almond butter and milk and mix until a smooth batter remains. If it is too thick, add a little extra milk. Fold in your chocolate chips.
- Transfer your mug cake batter into the greased bowl/ramekin. Top with extra chocolate chips/mix-ins of choice. Microwave for 1-2 minutes, or until cooked.
- Allow the mug cake to sit for one minute, before enjoying!
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.