An easy keto and low carb chocolate mug cake recipe made with almond flour! Made without coconut and without eggs, this light and gooey almond flour mug cake takes a minute in the microwave! Bonus? It comes with a tested oven option too! Paleo, Vegan, Gluten-Free.
Low Carb Almond Flour Mug Cake
We love our mug cake and mug muffin recipes on here. We’ve had a blueberry muffin mug cake, lemon mug cake, and a keto cinnamon roll mug cake.
After finding some leftover almond flour on hand, I wanted to make a classic chocolate mug cake using almond flour!
Unlike other keto mug cake recipes, this is a little different. It is made with no coconut and no eggs, so it is vegan, paleo and gluten-free!
Tender on the outside, super moist on the inside, it’s the ultimate single-serving keto dessert!
Almond Flour Mug Cake Ingredients
- Almond Flour
- Cocoa Powder
- Baking powder
- Granulated sweetener of choice
- Almond Butter
- Coconut milk
- Chocolate Chips
In terms of ingredient substitutions, here are tested alternatives.
For the almond butter, you can replace this with cashew butter or peanut butter (not strictly paleo). Sunflower seed butter and tahini can also be substituted.
For the granulated sweetener of choice, I used granulated monk fruit. You can replace this with coconut palm sugar if you don’t follow a strict ketogenic diet.
How to make a chocolate mug cake with almond flour
- Grease a microwave-safe ramekin or cereal bowl with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine your dry ingredients and mix well. Add your almond butter and coconut milk and mix until a thick batter remains. Fold in your chocolate chips (and any other add-ins of choice).
- Transfer your mug cake batter to the greased ramekin/cereal bowl. Place in the microwave and microwave for 1-2 minutes, or until just set.
- Remove from the microwave and let sit for 1 minute, before enjoying.
How to make chocolate almond flour mug cake without a microwave
Easily make this almond flour chocolate cake in the oven, if you don’t have a microwave or choose not to use one.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F and grease an oven-safe ramekin or dish with cooking spray.
- Follow the instructions as you would if you make it in the microwave.
- Transfer the batter to the oven-safe dish. Bake the mug cake for 10-12 minutes, or until warm and set on the top.
- Remove from the oven and allow to sit at room temperature for 1 minute, before enjoying.
Can you prepare the mug cake batter in advance?
I would not recommend preparing the mug cake batter in advance and baking at a later time, as the ingredients will absorb the coconut milk (or milk of choice) and it will become dry and brittle.
Mug cakes are best to be made immediately and it only takes a minute!
Tips and Tricks for a PERFECT almond flour chocolate mug cake
Use only smooth and drippy nut or seed butter. If you use a crunchy or homemade blend, it will not bake as well.
If your cake batter is a little too thick, add an extra tablespoon or two of milk.
For a more gooey and soft chocolate mug cake, you can cut the baking time. The batter has no eggs, so is safe to eat!
Feel free to add some other ingredients into the batter, like raspberries, berries or nuts!
The chocolate cake batter won’t rise, so feel free to top it with the fun add-in ingredients, or extra chocolate chips.
Keto Almond Flour Chocolate Mug Cake (Paleo, Vegan)
- 2 tablespoon blanched almond flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sweetener of choice
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- 2-3 tablespoon milk of choice * See notes
- 1 tablespoon keto chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon add-ins of choice berries, nuts, seeds etc
- Grease a microwave-safe bowl or ramekin and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add your dry ingredients and mix well. Add your almond butter and milk and mix until a smooth batter remains. If it is too thick, add a little extra milk. Fold in your chocolate chips.
- Transfer your mug cake batter into the greased bowl/ramekin. Top with extra chocolate chips/mix-ins of choice. Microwave for 1-2 minutes, or until cooked.
- Allow the mug cake to sit for one minute, before enjoying!
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.
i want the recipes for the other mug cakes u mentioned, besides the choc. Thanks!
Click the links provided in the post 🙂
I just tried this, and will definitely make it again! It was delicious! The batter was more crumbly than cakey, but it was still good. I put an “enlightened” ice cream bar in the mug and topped it all with some sugarfree whipped cream. Thanks for sharing!
That sounds fabulous!
Quite good and soooo quick and easy to make,
Great to hear, Emme!
I like using powdered stevia – how much would I use? If I wanted to bake a larger cake in the oven, could I simply do, say, 4 x the ingredients?
I’ve only tried it as written and with these ingredients, feel free to experiment and see 🙂
Dunno what I did wrong, but it took about half hour in the oven. Tastes great though, nice and chocolatey and gooey. I’d definitely make again. Thanks for the recipe!
So good! I didnt have chocolate so used some cinnamon instead and its awesome. Thank you
Wondering if a 6oz or an 8oz bowl would work better. Thanks
Hi! I often recommend using slightly bigger, just to avoid potential overflow 🙂
Pretty good 🙂 I’m not keto, I was just looking for something with almond flour, so I used plain old sugar. It wasn’t very firm and kinda creamy almost but it tasted good!
That’s good to hear ! 🙂
This recipe is incredible! I used coconut milk and cashew butter instead of almond and didn’t use any sweetener, rather used vanilla paste which is already sweetened and it came out brilliantly. Served with blueberries and blackberries. A quick and easy treat/ breakfast. Thank you☺️
Simple, healthy, and delicious!!! My only negative comment is that mine looks nothing like the pictures, but who cares when it tastes amazing!😂
Thanks for the recipe:)
Yummy! Mine came out fudgey, super delish! I used honey bc I didn’t have sugar on hand
Your keto mug cakes have been helping me a lot in my candidia diet! Could i bake this in the oven?