This hot chocolate mug cake is a single serving dessert that tastes like your favorite hot beverage! No eggs or dairy needed, and ready in just one minute!
Hot Cocoa Mug Cake
Whenever I don’t have a spare cookie or brownie in my refrigerator, I always end up making a mug cake or mug brownie for dessert. They are quick, easy, and take less than 5 minutes. There is also no leftovers because they are designed for ONE person, and one person only.
Before we had restrictions in place, I used to have a weekly dinner date with one of my close friends. After dinner, we’d always make mug cakes, and every single time we’d try and change up the flavors. Recently, my friend brought over some hot chocolate mix and added some to her chocolate mug cake. Not only did it taste incredible, but it tasted like hot chocolate in cake form!
Now, you don’t need to add any hot cocoa mix at all, and STILL achieve the hot cocoa flavor. This mug cake has a moist and fluffy texture, and with plenty of chocolate throughout.
No eggs or dairy is needed, but you’d never be able to tell! It tastes even better with some marshmallows on top and some dairy free whipped cream.
I’ve been making it every night this week, and has made me even more excited for the holiday season!
How do you make a hot chocolate mug cake?
- All purpose flour– Either plain flour or gluten free flour. If you use the latter, be sure that it has xanthan gum added to it.
- Cocoa powder– Use a good quality cocoa powder, to really bring out the chocolate flavor. For a richer flavor, use dark cocoa powder.
- Granulated sweetener of choice– Either white or brown sugar can be used. See my tips below to make it healthier and sugar free.
- Salt– Brings out the sweetness of the other ingredients, and balances the cocoa powder.
- Baking soda– Gives the mug cake some rise and fluffiness.
- Oil OR butter– Either oil or butter can be used. If you use unsalted butter, omit the salt.
- Vinegar– White vinegar or apple cider vinegar. This works with the baking soda to replace the need for any eggs.
- Vanilla extract- A must for any good cake or mug cake.
- Water OR milk– I found this mug cake perfectly fine with water, but if you’d like a smoother and richer cake, use your favorite plant based or standard milk.
- Mini marshmallows and whipped cream– What is hot chocolate without marshmallows or whipped cream? Add these two at the end, once the mug cake is warm.
In a small mixing bowl, whisk together all the ingredients, except for the mini marshmallows and cream, until combined. Transfer into a large, greased mug. Microwave for 60 seconds, before removing from the microwave, before topping with mini marshmallows and whipped cream.
Tips to make the best hot chocolate mug brownie
- If you’d like to make this in the oven, grease a 6-inch ramekin and transfer the batter into it. Bake at 180C/350F in a preheated oven for 10-12 minutes.
- Microwave makes and models differ. If your mug cake is still underdone, continue microwaving in 10-second spurts until done.
- For a richer chocolate flavor, add some chocolate chips in the batter.
- If you’d like a keto hot chocolate mug cake, make this mug cake and top with coconut whipped cream.
More delicious mug cakes to try
- Gingerbread mug cake
- Pumpkin mug cake
- 100 calorie chocolate cake
- Peanut Butter mug cake
- Black Forest mug cake
Share this recipe on Pinterest
Love this Hot Chocolate Mug Cake recipe?
Share it with the world on Pinterest.
Hot Chocolate Mug Cake
- 2 tablespoon flour all purpose or gluten free
- 2 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoon sugar * See notes
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/16 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon oil can use butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vinegar white or apple cider
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon water can use milk
- 1 tablespoon mini marshmallows vegan or traditional
- 1 tablespoon whipped cream dairy free or standard
For the microwave option
- In a mixing bowl, add all your ingredients, except for the marshmallows and whipped cream. Transfer the batter into a greased mug.
- Microwave for one minute. Once cooked, top with marshmallows and whipped cream and enjoy.
For the oven option
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
- In an oven-safe ramekin, follow instructions as above. Once prepared, bake for 10-12 minutes, or until 'just' cooked.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.