This hot chocolate mug cake is a single serving dessert that tastes like your favorite hot beverage! No eggs or dairy needed, and ready in just one minute!
Hot Cocoa Mug Cake
When it comes to single serving desserts, I love a giant chocolate chip cookie, lava cake, and this hot chocolate mug cake.
Whenever I don’t have a spare cookie or brownie in my refrigerator, I always end up making a mug cake or mug brownie for dessert. They are quick, easy, and take less than 5 minutes. There is also no leftovers because they are designed for ONE person, and one person only.
Before we had restrictions in place, I used to have a weekly dinner date with one of my close friends. After dinner, we’d always make mug cakes, and every single time we’d try and change up the flavors. Recently, my friend brought over some hot chocolate mix and added some to her chocolate mug cake. Not only did it taste incredible, but it tasted like hot chocolate in cake form!
Now, you don’t need to add any hot cocoa mix at all, and STILL achieve the hot cocoa flavor. This mug cake has a moist and fluffy texture, and with plenty of chocolate throughout.
No eggs or dairy is needed, but you’d never be able to tell! It tastes even better with some marshmallows on top and some dairy free whipped cream.
I’ve been making it every night this week, and has made me even more excited for the holiday season!
How do you make a hot chocolate mug cake?
- All purpose flour– Either plain flour or gluten free flour. If you use the latter, be sure that it has xanthan gum added to it.
- Cocoa powder– Use a good quality cocoa powder, to really bring out the chocolate flavor. For a richer flavor, use dark cocoa powder.
- Granulated sweetener of choice– Either white or brown sugar can be used. See my tips below to make it healthier and sugar free.
- Salt– Brings out the sweetness of the other ingredients, and balances the cocoa powder.
- Baking soda– Gives the mug cake some rise and fluffiness.
- Oil OR butter– Either oil or butter can be used. If you use unsalted butter, omit the salt.
- Vinegar– White vinegar or apple cider vinegar. This works with the baking soda to replace the need for any eggs.
- Vanilla extract- A must for any good cake or mug cake.
- Water OR milk– I found this mug cake perfectly fine with water, but if you’d like a smoother and richer cake, use your favorite plant based or standard milk.
- Mini marshmallows and whipped cream– What is hot chocolate without marshmallows or whipped cream? Add these two at the end, once the mug cake is warm.
In a small mixing bowl, whisk together all the ingredients, except for the mini marshmallows and cream, until combined. Transfer into a large, greased mug. Microwave for 60 seconds, before removing from the microwave, before topping with mini marshmallows and whipped cream.
Tips to make the best hot chocolate mug brownie
- If you’d like to make this in the oven, grease a 6-inch ramekin and transfer the batter into it. Bake at 180C/350F in a preheated oven for 10-12 minutes.
- Microwave makes and models differ. If your mug cake is still underdone, continue microwaving in 10-second spurts until done.
- For a richer chocolate flavor, add some chocolate chips in the batter.
- If you’d like a keto hot chocolate mug cake, make this mug cake and top with coconut whipped cream.
More delicious mug cakes to try
- Gingerbread mug cake
- Pumpkin mug cake
- 100 calorie chocolate cake
- Peanut Butter mug cake
- Black Forest mug cake
Hot Chocolate Mug Cake
- 2 tablespoon flour all purpose or gluten free
- 2 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoon sugar * See notes
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/16 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon oil can use butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vinegar white or apple cider
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon water can use milk
- 1 tablespoon mini marshmallows vegan or traditional
- 1 tablespoon whipped cream dairy free or standard
For the microwave option
- In a mixing bowl, add all your ingredients, except for the marshmallows and whipped cream. Transfer the batter into a greased mug.
- Microwave for one minute. Once cooked, top with marshmallows and whipped cream and enjoy.
For the oven option
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
- In an oven-safe ramekin, follow instructions as above. Once prepared, bake for 10-12 minutes, or until 'just' cooked.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.
Oh, coffee, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways… Hah! I do love my morning cup o’ joe. In fact, Laura and I just picked up some ‘fancy’ local coffee beans. They made for a good cup of coffee…but get this. We actually prefer our Trader Joe’s coffee over the fancy, local stuff. Anyways. Hot chocolate. There’s another good one! But not hot chocolate out of those little powdered packs. Hot chocolate like the real deal Holyfield stuff. It’s hard to beat! Love the mug cake idea. I need to have a mug of coffee to drink alongside this mug of hot chocolate cake!
OMG. The number of times I used to circle around TJ’s just to get a shot of coffee…..
I can’t handle the deliciousness that is this mug cake. I’d like this in a shooter form so I can just KNOCK BACK a few! JK that’s too cray cray!
😀 Haha, love it!
Mmmm coffeeeee. I definitely love my coffee and maybe once a year I’ll have hot chocolate, like when it snows.
As far as your sister’s comment goes, I totally understood what she was saying. Not sure how you didn’t get it 😉 haha
Dude, this was one of the more comprehensive conversations we’ve ever had!
I don’t think I could live without my coffee. And I don’t even think I drink it for energy so much as I do just for comfort and taste. It’s like a hug. In a mug. Hot chocolate is good too, but I honestly can’t remember the last time I had some 😆
I pray for the days where coffee once again replaces red bulls!
lol I absolutely could not decipher her definition. But I do remember having one of the most indulgent hot chocolates in Sydney at some hot chocolate cafe… Max’s perhaps?
MAX BRENNER 😀 There is a newer competitor called Koko Black…SO GOOD!
These photos are great– so bright– and chocolately! I’ve noticed you’ve really been liking that spoon lately too 🙂
Hahaha, I need to upgrade my repertoire!
Sorry, not quite sure what your sister is saying… but thismug cake looks perfect! Definitely adding to must bake list!
Please do, Melissa!
That gold spoon is cracking me up almost as much as Niki’s description.
I couldn’t live without coffee these days. Seriously, it’s my everything. Better than booze even.
Urgh, I miss coffee- It doesn’t do anything for me anymore, it’s all red bull 🙁
This looks too good to be low carb! I used to be team hot chocolate until about 3 years ago. Now I’m freaking addicted to coffee. Sigh.
I’m craving coffee, but it does nothing for my productivity these days. Bring on the red bulls!
Eh, I’m going to have to say that coffee isn’t exactly a staple in my diet either! I prefer green tea 100%. However, I do LOVE the flavor of coffee in other things!