This 3 ingredient mug cake is the ultimate quick and easy chocolate fix. No flour needed, it’s super moist and fluffy.
Mug cakes are a life-saver for when you are craving something sweet right after dinner or on days when you are not at all in the baking mood.
Add this chocolate version to your favorites. It is the easiest chocolate treat you can make in less than 5 minutes including the preparation time.
Table of Contents
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Only 3 ingredients. This chocolate mug cake is made with three simple ingredients. And yet, it ends up rich and chocolatey with the perfect cakey texture.
- No flour and sugar. This mug cake is made without flour which makes it gluten-free. It doesn’t contain granulated sugar either, instead, relying on the chocolate chips for sweetness.
- No oven. While you can bake this mug cake in the oven too, this recipe features microwave instructions. Cooking this chocolate cake in the microwave is ten times quicker than baking it in the oven and the result is equally as good.
Make this 3-ingredient chocolate mug cake next time you are craving a dessert but don’t have time to make anything complicated and time-consuming.
Making a full-on chocolate dessert with just three ingredients feels exceptionally good. Here’s everything you’ll need to make it.
- Egg. The egg provides the fluffy texture of the cake and gives it structure. Use a room-temperature egg.
- Chocolate. Use dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips for this recipe for a rich chocolatey flavor.
- Butter. Unsalted.
- Confectioners sugar (optional). Sifting powdered sugar over this chocolate mug cake right after it’s done cooking makes it look good and adds a touch more sweetness.
How to make a 3 ingredient mug cake
The fact that this mug cake is made in the microwave makes this recipe so easy. Here’s how to make a chocolate cake in less than 10 minutes.
Step 1 – Melt the chocolate. Add the chocolate chips and butter to a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at 15-second intervals until the chocolate is fully melted. Don’t forget to mix the chocolate in between the microwaving sessions.
Step 2 – Beat the eggs. Use a hand mixer or a whisk to beat the egg until it’s frothy.
Step 3 – Combine and cook in the microwave. Gently fold the melted chocolate into the foamy eggs. Mix just enough to get both mixtures fully combined. Transfer the cake mixture to a microwave-safe bowl and microwave on medium for 30 seconds. Microwave on high for an additional 45 seconds to up to a minute to get the cake fully set.
Dust the cake with powdered sugar and enjoy.
Tips to make the best recipe
- Beat the eggs until foamy. Many mug cake recipes tell you to just whisk the eggs with the melted chocolate. However, beating the eggs until foamy is always a better idea as it results in an airy and fluffy cake.
- Eat immediately. Unlike oven-baked cakes that need to be cooled before they are eaten, a mug cake like this one should be enjoyed immediately for the best texture and flavor.
- Consider the mug size. The cooking time of mug cakes may vary depending on the type of mug you are using. The cake will cook faster in shallow and wide mugs.
- Use milk chocolate. If you don’t have to keep this recipe dairy-free, feel free to use milk chocolate chips for a sweeter flavor.
- Sprinkle with chopped nuts. Unlike oven-baked cakes, adding chopped nuts to this mug cake is not the best idea as the microwave steams them and makes them softer. So, just sprinkle them on top once the cake is cooked.
- Add cinnamon. If you enjoy the combination of cinnamon and chocolate, add ¼ teaspoon of ground cinnamon to the melted chocolate mixture.
- Serve with a pinch of salt. Adding a pinch of flaky salt on the chocolate cake will enhance its flavor and take it to the next level.
We highly recommend you eat this mug cake right after removing it from the microwave. This is when the chocolate mug cake has the most perfect texture and rich flavor.
But if for some reason you didn’t eat it immediately, allow the mug cake to cool, then cover it with cling wrap and refrigerate it for up to a day.
Reheat the mug cake in the microwave for 20 to 25 seconds before eating it.
More mug cake recipes to try
Frequently asked questions
Yes, you can bake this mug cake in the oven. Preheat the oven to 350F degrees and bake the cake until it’s fully set and a toothpick comes out clean. Make sure the mug you are using is oven-safe.
There are many ways to make this mug cake sweeter. You can use a sweeter chocolate variety, add some powdered sugar to the eggs while beating them, or top the mug cake with whipped cream and chocolate syrup.
Yes! I’ve tried this with a pre-formulated egg substitute (just egg) and also flax eggs and it has come out very well.
3 Ingredient Mug Cake
- 1/4 cup chocolate chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large egg
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, add the chocolate and butter and melt in 15-second increments until melted.
- Add the egg to a bowl and whisk until frothy. Fold in the melted chocolate mixture.
- Microwave the cake batter for 60 seconds. Let it sit for one minute before enjoying.
- Pour batter in an oven safe dish and bake for 10-12 minutes on 180 degrees celsius for 10-12 minutes, until desired consistency.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.