This single-serving coffee mug cake recipe is a healthy way to satisfy your sweet tooth in just one minute! Fluffy on the inside and topped with an easy streusel, it’s low carb, keto friendly, and easily made in the oven! 2 grams net carbs per serving.
Keto Coffee Cake
After sampling the delicious classic coffee cake from Starbucks, I wanted to recreate it and give it a single serving treatment.
The coffee cake was fluffy on the inside, tender on the outside, and topped with a delicious streusel topping. It had hints of cinnamon and vanilla, and was instantly one of my favorites!
I gave it a single serving and healthy makeover! My almond flour coffee cake is made with simple and low carb ingredients and is a fantastic keto dessert or sweet treat to have with a mug of coffee or tea!
Saying this coffee mug cake is easy is an understatement. It literally takes 1-2 minutes in the microwave, and comes with instructions to make in the oven!
Ingredients to make this recipe
for the mug cake
- Almond flour– Blanched almond flour is best, not almond meal. The blanched variety yields a fluffier and lighter cake.
- Coconut flour– Gives the mug cake the cakey texture, and with no coconut flavor.
- Baking powder– Gives the mug cake some rise and fluffiness.
- Granulated sweetener of choice– Any keto sweetener can be used, like monk fruit sweetener or erythritol.
- Cinnamon– A must for the traditional coffee cake flavor!
- Egg– Room temperature eggs.
- Milk of choice– Any milk can be used. I used unsweetened almond milk.
For the Streusel topping
- Almond flour– Again, try to use blanched almond flour.
- Sweetener of choice– Monk fruit sweetener or erythritol.
- Almond butter– Gives a buttery crumble topping, minus the butter or oil.
- Cinnamon– Adds cinnamon flavor.
- Milk– To mix everything together to make the crumble.
- Powdered sugar– Drizzle some keto powdered sugar over the top.
How do you make a coffee mug cake?
- Lightly grease a small, microwave-safe bowl or ramekin.
- In a small bowl, add your streusel ingredients and mix well, until combined
- Add your dry ingredients and mix well. Add your egg and milk of choice, and mix until a smooth batter remains. If the batter is too thick, add extra milk.
- Top the mug cake with the streusel topping and microwave for 1-2 minutes, or until cooked.
- Allow cooling for 1-2 minutes, before enjoying!
Can I make this in the oven?
The quickest option is to make the coffee cake in the microwave. However, not everyone has a microwave so this mug cake can be made in the oven.
Simply replace the microwave-safe bowl with an oven-safe ramekin or similar. Bake at 180C/350F for 10-12 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
Tips and Tricks for the Perfect 1-minute coffee mug cake
- Microwaves differ based on make and model. Start with microwaving it at one minute, and if it is not cooked, continue microwaving it in 20-second spurts until it is done.
- Use a microwave-safe cereal bowl or shallow container instead of a mug. This will ensure the cake is fully cooked through.
- Do not omit the coconut flour or try to substitute it. It is key to include it to ensure the mug cake is fluffy and tender on the outside.
- As all coconut flour brands differ, you may need more than half a cup of milk (the suggested amount). Continue adding more milk to the batter, until it is smooth and thick.
- To reduce the fat and calories, you can use an egg white instead of a whole egg.
More mug cake recipes
- Keto Chocolate Mug Cake
- Lemon Poppy Seed Mug Cake
- 1 Minute Carrot Cake
- Keto Cinnamon Roll Mug Cake
- Chocolate Raspberry Mug Cake
Coffee Mug Cake
For the mug cake
- In a small bowl, combine the dry ingredients and mix well.
- In a separate small bowl, combine the almond extract, milk, and the egg and whisk lightly. Add the mixture to the dry mixture and mix until just combined.
- Prepare the streusel topping. In a small bowl, combine the almond flour with the cinnamon and palm sugar and mix well. Add the almond butter and mix well until a thick, crumbly mixture is produced. Add a dash of dairy free milk if desired.
- Grease a microwave-safe bowl or ramekin and pour the batter in it. Top with streusel and microwave for 1-2 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Grease a large ramekin and set aside.
- Follow directions as above and once ready, bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.