This vanilla mug cake is the fastest way to make a delicious single-serving dessert. Rich in protein, this mug cake is also good for days when you are craving a cake for breakfast.
I enjoy baking cakes when I have friends and family over. But when I am by myself, I like to keep things easy and quick. This is when mug cakes come into play. These 1-minute single-serving cakes are just as good as regular cakes and can be customized to fit any diet.
This vanilla mug cake recipe features a classic cake flavor. It’s the perfect dessert when you want something sweet with minimal cooking time!
Table of Contents
Why you’ll love this vanilla cake in a mug
- It’s high in protein. Like a protein mug cake, the protein powder, coconut flour, and egg enrich this mug cake with enough protein to keep you full for a good few hours.
- It takes a couple of minutes to make. Made in the microwave, this is the quickest vanilla cake you could ever make.
- It’s gluten-free and dairy-free. Similar to our chocolate mug cake, no wheat flour is used in this mug cake recipe. All ingredients are healthy and carefully chosen.
- The best texture. It’s moist, fluffy, and so delicious!
- Vanilla protein powder. A scoop of vanilla protein powder makes this mug cake nutritious and filling and gives it a hint of vanilla flavor.
- Coconut flour. This is a high-protein flour with high absorbency. It provides the perfect cakelike texture for the mug cake. It also adds a mild coconut flavor to this vanilla cake.
- Almond milk. I prefer using unsweetened almond milk for this recipe. You can swap it for soy milk.
- Baking powder. Gives the mug cake a rise.
- Egg. Adding an egg to the batter provides moisture and helps the mug cake rise.
Make it vegan
If you want to make this recipe vegan (or dairy-free), leave out the egg and add more milk instead. Add the milk tablespoon by tablespoon until you achieve the needed batter consistency.
- Maple syrup. To sweeten this mug cake.
- Vanilla extract. A dash of vanilla extract helps further enhance the vanilla flavor of the mug cake.
For a more intense vanilla flavor, add some vanilla bean paste.
- Chocolate chips. They add extra flavor and texture to the mug cake. You can use any chocolate chips you like.
How to make a vanilla mug cake
1. Make the batter. Add all wet ingredients to a small bowl and stir until fully combined. Add the dry ingredients and mix until the protein powder and the coconut flour are fully incorporated.
2. Make the mug cake. Fill up a microwave-safe mug about halfway and microwave for 90 seconds. Allow the mug cake to rest for 30 to 60 seconds before eating it.
Tips to make the best recipe
- Choose your protein powder wisely. If you are grabbing your sibling’s protein powder just to make this mug cake, make sure it fits your diet. Protein powders may contain dairy and added sugar.
- Don’t overmix. Mix the ingredients just enough to get them fully combined. Overmixing the batter will result in a rubbery mug cake.
- Start at 70 seconds. While the recipe tells you to microwave the mug cake for 90 seconds, we recommend you start with 70 considering the differences the microwaves have. If the mug cake is undercooked, add 10-second increments as needed.
- Serve with whipped cream or ice cream. When having this mug cake for dessert, it is a good idea to top it with some whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- Add sprinkles or frosting. If you need a quick celebration cake, add some colorful sprinkles to this mug cake batter.
While this mug cake is meant to be eaten immediately, you can store the leftover cake in the fridge for up to a day. Keep it covered with food wrap and reheat it in the microwave for 10 to 15 seconds before eating.
Recommended tools to make this recipe
- Mixing bowl. To make the batter.
- Spatula. For mixing everything together.
- Microwave safe mug. This is my preferred mug as it microwaves well and cooks the mug cake evenly.
More mug cake recipes to try
Frequently asked questions
Yes, you can make this mug cake without protein powder. As protein powder has thickening properties, you may need to add a tad bit more coconut flour to achieve the needed batter consistency.
In addition to overmixing the batter, overcooking the mug cake or adding too much baking powder are two other reasons that result in a rubbery mug cake.
Yes! For a baked vanilla mug cake, simply prep it as instructed and bake at 180C/350F for 6-7 minutes. You can also use the air fryer.
Mug cakes should be served warm for the best texture and flavor. Once you remove the mug cake from the oven, let it rest for a minute to finish cooking and dive right in.
Vanilla Mug Cake
- Grease a microwave safe mug with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a small bowl, add the protein powder, baking powder, and coconut flour and mix well. Add the remaining ingredients and mix until combined. .
- Top with chocolate chips and microwave for 60 seconds, or until just cooked in the centre.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.