A super fluffy and moist vanilla mug cake which packs a protein punch and is low carb- It’s also ready in under a minute! This healthy 1 Minute Low Carb Vanilla Mug Cake is also naturally gluten free, vegan, paleo and sugar free!
When it comes to flavor options, I feel like vanilla gets some unfair flack.
Ice cream? Every flavor under the sun….and then vanilla.
Yogurt? Blueberry, raspberry, peach….and then vanilla.
Cupcake? Chocolate, strawberry, peanut butter…and then vanilla.
Pretty much, vanilla was like the ugly duckling of flavors.
Actually, I take that back.
Licorice is the ugly duckling of flavors.
In all seriousness, if presented with a plethora of flavor options, unless you are a die-hard vanilla fan, it’s often not the first choice. The older I’ve gotten, the more I’ve come to appreciate vanilla. It’s like a base we can jazz up or keep as it is. In fact, I’ve come to prefer vanilla over some of the more elaborate flavors I once indulged in daily.
Oh geebuz, that was a fun experiment.
The other week, I went to get ice cream with my sister and she got a strawberry shortcake and creme brulee hybrid.
It cost $6.50.
I got plain vanilla.
It cost me $7.
No, the vanilla wasn’t personally plucked from Madagascar.
….I got a waffle cone.
A classic vanilla cake is something which works as a delicious base on itself or can be jazzed up. We’re keeping things simple and basic here with this super fluffy, light and protein packed goodness. Even if your not on a low carb or higher protein diet, it doesn’t discriminate.
Eat it in a sandwich.
Okay, recipe time!
This simple vanilla mug cake is low carb, packed with protein and ready in under a minute! For such a light and fluffy cake, you’d be surprised that it doesn’t contain any flour, butter, oil, sugar or dairy! For those who don’t use or have access to a microwave, this can totally be made in the oven. To do that, you’ll prep it the exact same way as the microwave method. Then, you’d bake in the oven (350 degrees!) for 12-15 minutes, until a toothpick or skewer comes out ‘just’ clean. Based on the ingredients used, this low carb vanilla mug cake is naturally gluten free, vegan, paleo, sugar free and grain free!
Because the protein powder is an important ingredient in this recipe, the type you use makes a big difference. I always stick to a casein protein powder, a vegan protein powder, and a paleo friendly protein powder. If dietary restrictions aren’t an issue, I’d recommend the casein protein powder or vegan protein powder as the ones which lend the best texture. I didn’t try this recipe with a whey based protein powder, as I tend to find it makes BAKED recipes super tough. Similarly, it makes non-baked recipes super sticky.
Not a fan of protein powder? Try out this vanilla mug cake– It’s still lower in carbs and relatively high protein too! It’s also ready in a minute too!
HACK! For a super moist vanilla mug cake, opt for the vegan version, irrespective of your dietary choices. By omitting the egg white (or whole egg), and increasing the milk of choice, you can remove it from the microwave (or oven) when half cooked- You guys will LOVE the texture!
Make this healthy 1 Minute Low Carb Vanilla Mug Cake and let’s do like the late Amy Winehouse’s album.
Back to basics.
Check out the video below- 1 minute!
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (32-34 grams)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 T coconut flour
- 1 T granulated sweetener of choice*
- 1 large egg OR 1/4 cup liquid egg whites (see notes for Vegan option)
- 1/4 cup milk of choice (I used unsweetened almond)
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Chocolate chips to top (optional)
- Grease a microwave safe bowl with cooking spray and add the protein powder, baking powder, coconut flour, sweetener of choice and mix well.
- Add the egg/whites and mix into the dry mixture. Add the milk of choice and vanilla extract- If batter is too crumbly, continue adding milk of choice until a very thick batter is formed. Top with chocolate chips and microwave for 60 seconds, or until just cooked in the centre.
- Follow as above, but bake in the oven for 8-15 minutes, depending on consistency desired- Mug cake is cooked once a toothpick comes out 'just' clean from the center.
- * Adjust according to taste- If protein powder is sweetened, feel free to omit completely.
- For the vegan option, you won't need any flax eggs/egg substitute- Simply omit and slowly add milk of choice until a thick batter is formed. Microwave/bake until 'just' cooked in the center.
More delicious single serve cakes? Gotcha covered!
Are you team chocolate or team vanilla?
All time favorite ice cream flavor? I need to take you ALL to Gelato Messina
Click here for all blog policies, disclaimers and affiliates.