This peanut butter mug cake is made with just 3 ingredients and is completely keto and flourless! Ready in under a minute and full of peanut butter flavor, it’s a delicious low carb and sugar free dessert.
3 Ingredient Keto Mug Cake
Ever since starting a keto diet, peanut butter soon became one of my most used ingredients. Whether it be using it in recipes, snacking on it between meals, or slathering a piece of keto bread with it, it’s safe to say I eat it every single day.
FACT– I eat peanut butter balls every single day.
Recently, I’ve been ending my day with various single-serving desserts. Mug cakes have always been my go-to. Recently, I’ve been obsessed with this peanut butter version.
Unlike most mug cakes out there, this one only needs 3 ingredients! No grains, no flour, and no sugar needed, it’s a low carb way to satisfy my sweet tooth! This mug cake takes less than a minute to make, and is also naturally gluten free!
Ingredients for this recipe
- Peanut butter– Make sure the peanut butter you use has a smooth and drippy texture. As this is a keto mug cake, you want to be using sugar free peanut butter.
- Granulated sweetener– Either monk fruit sweetener or erythritol can be used. I prefer erythritol as for microwave desserts, as it has a better flavor.
- Egg– Room temperature egg.
- Baking powder– Optional, but gives the mug cake that extra fluffiness.
How do you make a peanut butter mug cake?
Start by whisking together all your ingredients in a small mixing bowl, until a batter remains. Transfer your batter into a microwave safe bowl, ramekin, or mug. Microwave for 45 seconds, to a minute. Remove from the microwave and let sit for a minute, before enjoying it.
Tips to make the best mug cake
- If you’d like to make this mug cake in the oven, simply bake it at 180C/350F for 8-10 minutes. Be sure the ramekin you use for it is oven safe.
- Oven makes and models are different. Your mug cake may take longer than 45 seconds to make.
- Do not overbake the mug cake. This is a flourless dessert, so the cooking time is greatly reduced.
- You can either use 1 or 2 tablespoons of sweetener. I stick to one tablespoon, as I find it plenty sweet as it is.
- If you have a microwave safe cereal bowl, you can use that instead of a ramekin. This is a better option if you are worried that there may be overflow.
Flavor and dietary Variations
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip– As pictured. Add 1-2 teaspoons of keto chocolate chips to the batter and on top of the mug cake.
- Chocolate Peanut Butter– Add 1-2 tablespoons of cocoa powder to the batter.
- Peanut butter and jelly– Swirl through 1-2 teaspoons of your favorite jelly or jam into it.
- Vegan peanut butter mug cake– Replace the egg with 1/4 cup all purpose flour and 1/4 cup plant based milk.
- Paleo peanut butter mug cake– Replace the peanut butter with either almond butter or cashew butter.
More delicious mug cakes to try
Peanut Butter Mug Cake (3 Ingredients!)
- In a small mixing bowl, add all your ingredients and whisk together, until combined.
- Transfer your mug cake batter into a greased microwave-safe ramekin or cereal bowl. Microwave for 45 seconds-1 minute. Remove from the microwave and let sit for a minute, before eating.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Grease an oven-safe ramekin (6-8 inches) with oil. Make the batter before transferring to the ramekin. Bake for 8-10 minutes.