This keto hot chocolate is the ultimate cozy and comforting hot beverage made with just 4 ingredients! A secret trick guarantees a thick and creamy beverage!
We come from a family who LOVES all things hot chocolate.
Whenever the grocery stores start bringing out new flavors or desserts that taste like a hot chocolate, we’ll be first in line to try it out. At home, some of our favorite things to make are hot chocolate inspired, including hot chocolate cookies, hot chocolate cake, and even a mug cake.
When the weather cools down, it’s a no brainer: we whip up our favorite low carb hot chocolate.
Why this recipe works
- 4 Ingredients. That’s all you’ll need to make this cozy and comforting beverage.
- 100% sugar free. No sugar or artificial sweeteners are needed, yet it will be every bit as sweet as ever.
- Cheaper than Starbucks. The average Starbucks hot chocolate is close to $7 for a grande. Not only is it extremely expensive, but it isn’t even keto friendly.
- Perfect hot or cold. A bit of an oxymoron, but serve this over ice for an iced chocolate instead.
The secret trick to the perfect low carb hot chocolate is to use REAL chocolate in the mixture! We add some chocolate chips into the hot liquid, which naturally melts them and gives the drink an even richer chocolate flavor and thicker texture. Add some whipped cream on top and you’ll make it through any harrowing winter.
- Cocoa powder- Unsweetened cocoa powder. For a richer flavor, you can use dark cocoa powder.
- Granulated sweetener of choice- I used a brown sugar substitute, but granulated allulose or a powdered sugar substitute will also work.
- Milk of choice- Use your favorite low carb milk. I enjoy using unsweetened almond milk, coconut milk, or, for a more pronounced chocolate flavor, keto chocolate milk.
- Vanilla extract- Gives a lovely vanilla flavor throughout.
- Sugar free chocolate- Your favorite low carb chocolate bar or sugar free chocolate chips.
- Sugar free marshmallows- Optional, but what is hot cocoa without marshmallows!
- Whipped cream– I love adding some fresh whipped cream, especially when I’m craving Starbucks!
How do you make a keto hot chocolate?
Start by adding all your ingredients, except for the chocolate, into a small saucepan. Place it over medium heat and bring it to a boil. Once it boils, remove the saucepan off the heat. Add the chocolate chips and let the mixture sit for several minutes, before whisking together.
Now, pour the hot chocolate into mugs, add some marshmallows and/or whipped cream and enjoy immediately.
Tips to make the best recipe
- For a richer hot chocolate, you can replace half the milk with heavy cream.
- You can prepare this beverage in the microwave, but you will need to use a large bowl and microwave everything in 30-second spurts.
- Be sure to let the chocolate chips sit in the hot liquid for several minutes, as it will naturally melt them and create a creamier beverage.
- Avoid using erythritol or monk fruit sweetener, as they don’t dissolve as nicely as allulose or a brown sugar substitute. If that is all you have, you’d be better off adding a liquid sweetener, like keto maple syrup or keto simple syrup.
Like any good hot beverage, you can switch up the flavor with a few simple tweaks. Here is what we’ve tried:
- Peppermint-Add 1-2 drops of peppermint extract.
- Mocha– Add 1 tablespoon of instant coffee or decaf coffee.
- Hazelnut– Mix through 1-2 drops of hazelnut extract.
- Salted Caramel– drizzle caramel syrup into the hot chocolate.
- White chocolate– Add 1-2 tablespoons sugar free white chocolate.
- To store: Hot chocolate is best enjoyed fresh, but if you make a bigger batch, you can store leftovers in the refrigerator, covered, for up to 5 days.
- To reheat: Microwave the hot chocolate in 30-second spurts until warm or reheat in a small saucepan over the stove. Once hot, add marshmallows and/or whipped cream and enjoy.
More keto drink recipes to try
Frequently Asked Questions
Unsweetened cocoa powder and cacao powder are both keto friendly, provided they have no added sugar in them. A two tablespoon serving yields just 2 grams of net carbs.
There are a plethora of hot drinks you can enjoy on a keto diet, and some pretty fancy ones too. Some of my favorites include peanut butter coffee, pumpkin spice latte, and a peppermint mocha.
A typical medium-sized hot chocolate can easily contain up to 40 grams of carbs per serving. This keto hot chocolate recipe yields just 2 grams net carbs.
Keto Hot Chocolate (Starbucks Copycat!)
- In a small saucepan, add your cocoa powder, sweetener, milk of choice, and vanilla extract. Place it over medium heat and bring it to a boil. Once it begins to boil, remove it from the heat.
- Add the chocolate chips and let sit for several minutes, before whisking together.
- Pour into two mugs and top with marshmallows and whipped cream.