This bulletproof coffee is the combination of coffee, grass fed butter, and MCT oil all blended together for the perfect keto coffee! No dairy or sugar needed, it takes seconds to make!
When it comes to keto coffee drinks, my favorite recipes to make are iced coffee, frappucinos, and this keto bulletproof coffee.
Over the past few months, I’ve been experimenting with fasted training. See, I’ve been preparing myself for a photoshoot and part of it involves me dropping a tiny bit of fat. To be honest, I’m far from overnight, and actually relatively slim. However, I have some extra fat around my stomach area that I wouldn’t mind getting rid of.
Instead of going on a drastic diet or increasing my exercise, my personal trainer recommended we change up my food plan. We removed a few extra snacks and pushed breakfast back a few hours., However, the big change was to start my mornings with a bulletproof coffee.
What is bulletproof coffee?
Bulletproof coffee is the combination of coffee, butter, and oil all blended together into a frothy beverage. It comes with a ton of benefits- It has been proven to aid digestion, give extra energy, and even keep you satisfied for longer. After the recommendation of a my personal trainer, I started having a bulletproof coffee before every workout in a fasted state. After just two weeks, I found myself more focused and my workouts became stronger and my snacking had reduced significantly. This new twist on my morning coffee had delivered the results I needed!
As such, I’ve been meaning to share a keto bulletproof coffee recipe for quite some time. It was a game changer for me when I experimented with intermitted fasting and since coming off it, I love starting my mornings with one for the added energy.
No sugar and no dairy are needed, but you’d never tell. The texture is smooth, slightly creamy, and extremely frothy on top. It’s rich, buttery and strong, without being overpowering.
Just to make sure this wasn’t a placebo, I made two of my coffee loving friends start their mornings with a bulletproof coffee. Two weeks later, they are amazed how much extra energy they have and their snacking has reduced considerably!
How do you make bulletproof coffee?
- Brewed coffee– Freshly brewed coffee or instant coffee can be used. Adjust the strength based on your preferences.
- Butter– Unsalted butter, at room temperature. Grass-fed butter is preferred, but standard butter can be used. To keep it dairy free, use ghee.
- MCT oil– The secret ingredient! Unlike other oils, MCT oil is much easier to digest and when paired with butter, keeps you fuller for longer.
Add all your ingredients into a high speed blender and blend until smooth and frothy. Transfer into a tall glass and enjoy immediately.
What is MCT oil and why add it to coffee?
MCT oil stands for Medium Chain Triglycerides, which is exactly what it is, a medium chain fatty acid oil. As it is easily digestible, it’s the superior oil to use in bulletproof or keto coffee.
It has been touted to promote weight loss, has it supresses the appetite. It also has seen results in a reduction of body fat and waist circumference. Through personal experience, I have noticed these benefits after having a bulletproof coffee every day for a 4 week period.
Tips to make the best keto butter coffee
- Do not use decaffeinated coffee. It will not have the same fat burning and satiety properties that the combination of caffeine, butter, and MCT oil provide.
- For an iced bulletproof coffee, serve over ice.
- If you don’t own a blender, you can use a hand mixer to combine everything together. Do not mix by hand and spoon as it will separate.
- If you don’t have MCT oil, you can use coconut oil but it will not have the same results or benefits as the MCT oil.
Storing and freezing bulletproof coffee
You can only store the keto coffee to enjoy later if you intend to enjoy it chilled.
- To store: Place the coffee in a large jug and refrigerate until chilled. The coffee can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. Be sure to vigorously mix it before serving.
- To freeze: Pour the bulletproof coffee into a shallow container or small ice cube trays and store it in the freezer for up to 6 months. When ready to enjoy, place into a blender and blend until smooth and combined.
What to serve keto coffee with
While this coffee is best enjoyed on it’s own, add one of the following to take it up a notch or add sweetness.
Keto Bulletproof Coffee
- 1 cup brewed coffee
- 1 tbsp + 1 teaspoon grass fed butter * See notes
- 1 tablespoon MCT oil
- Add all the ingredients into a high speed blender and blend for 30 seconds, until completely combined and frothy.
- Pour into a glass or coffee mug and enjoy.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.
This coffee recipe sounds good. But I’ve never heard of MCT oil. Where can this be purchased.
Hi Vivian! Online and health food stores 🙂
Definitely takes the weight off, “the hunger and gives you great energy.