This almond milk latte is so smooth and creamy, you won’t believe it is homemade! No fancy coffee machines needed and better than any coffee shop version!
Almond Milk Latte
I generally tend to be quite smart with my money, but I do have one vice- coffee shop coffees. Ever since my university days, I’ve acquired an expensive and daily coffee habit. No matter where I go or what I have on the agenda, I would always stop somewhere to buy a coffee. There’s something special about the way baristas make coffee versus making it myself.
While I do have a handful of coffee shops I go to on a regular basis, my favorite would always be Starbucks. For the last two years, I’d visit my local Starbucks and order my favorite almond milk latte. After having a chat with the barista, I quickly learned that my favorite coffee beverage was simply made with espresso and a special kind of almond milk. I soon began to experiment myself and have started making my own keto version!
I’ve been meaning to share an almond milk latte recipe for quite some time. It’s been such a game changer for me, as I’ve saved so much money from buying expensive cafe shop lattes. It’s so easy to do, and you can either use a coffee machine or the microwave.
No dairy and no sugar is needed, but you’d never tell. The texture is creamy and smooth and topped with the lovely froth on top. It’s slightly sweet and full of coffee flavor, without being overpowering.
It’s been over 6 months now since I’ve bought an expensive cafe latte. I can’t believe how easy it is to make and how much money I’ve been able to save…or until I spend it on something else.
Ingredients to make a homemade almond milk latte
- Unsweetened almond milk– Either vanilla or plain almond milk. Many grocery stores now stock a specific barista blend of almond milk, which works the best for this recipe- Use that if you can find it!
- Espresso OR instant coffee– Either one full shot of espresso or 2 teaspoons of instant coffee mixed with 2 tablespoons of boiling water.
- Sweetener of choice– Optional, but add only if you prefer a sweeter latte.
How do you make an almond milk latte?
There are two ways to make this recipe. I recommend using a coffee machine with a steamer attached, or even a milk frother. However, you can also make it without any coffee machine too!
With a coffee machine
Start by adding your almond milk to a metallic bowl or milk frothing jug. Next, steam your milk by using the steamer attachment of the coffee machine. Once it has around an inch of froth on top, remove it from the heat.
Now, gently pour the warm milk over the espresso until it is 3/4 filled, before spooning the foam over the top.
Without a coffee machine
Start by adding your espresso into a coffee mug or glass. Next, add your almond milk to a microwaveable glass jar and cover it. Shake the jar vigorously, until it doubles in size. Remove the lid and microwave the milk for 30-6o seconds, until the foam has risen to the top.
Now, use a spoon to hold back the foam in the warm milk, and pour the milk portion into the espresso. Finally, spoon the foam over the top and enjoy.
Tips to make the best latte
- Try to use a barista blend of almond milk if possible. Standard almond milk has the tendency to separate, especially if you make the version without a coffee machine.
- Use a thermometer to ensure the milk doesn’t scorch when using the steamer. 60C/140F is the ideal temperature. Any hotter and you pose the risk of a slightly burnt flavor.
- For a hint of chocolate, you can use unsweetened chocolate almond milk.
Almond milk coffee variations
While this almond milk beverage is delicious on its own, here are ways you can adapt it for other coffee shop favorites.
- Cappucino– Increase the foamed milk portion to at least 1/3 of the glass or mug.
- Flat white– Add extra warm milk and just a half tablespoon of foam.
- Cafe au lait– Omit the foam and add extra milk.
- Macchiato– Steam the milk until foamy. Spoon out 1-2 tablespoons of the foam on top of it (there should be no actual milk).
- Affogato– Hold the milk entirely and serve with a scoop of almond milk ice cream.
I personally love a plain almond milk latte but here are some other flavors to add some variety (and recreate the popular Starbucks ones!)
- Matcha– Replace the espresso with 1 1/2 teaspoons matcha powder and 1 teaspoon sweetener of choice.
- Vanilla– Add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and 1 tablespoon of sweetener. You can also add some vanilla coffee syrup.
- Pumpkin spice– Add 1 teaspoon pumpkin spice mix and 1 teaspoon of your favorite sweetener.
- Chai Tea– Replace the espresso with 2 teaspoons of chai tea mix and add the warm milk and froth as normal.
- Caramel– Whisk in 1 tablespoon caramel sauce into the espresso, before adding the milk and froth.
Storing and serving the almond milk latte
- To store: Do not prepare the latte in advance, unless you want to enjoy it chilled or over ice. If so, it can be stored in the refrigerator, covered, for up to 1 month.
- To serve chilled: Chill your latte, before pouring it into a glass filled with ice. If desired, add some whipped cream on top.
More dairy free drink recipes to try
Almond Milk Latte
- 2 shots espresso or instant coffee * See notes
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk barista blend ** See notes
- Prepare two shots of espresso into two coffee mugs or glasses.
- Add your almond milk into a metallic coffee jug. Steam your milk by using the steamer attachment of the coffee machine. Once it has around an inch of froth on top, remove it from the heat.
- Use a spoon to sieve the milk evenly amongst the two cups. Pour the foam over the top and serve.
- Add the milk into a glass jar and add the lid on top. Vigorously shake the jar until the milk becomes frothy and doubles in size. Remove the lid and microwave for 30-60 seconds, until froth appears on top and the milk is warm.
- Using a spoon, hold back the froth from the jar and pour the milk into the two cups. Spoon out the foam on top of both of them.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.