This almond milk smoothie is so thick and creamy, you won’t believe it is made without dairy or sugar! Perfect for breakfast, it needs just 3 ingredients and takes less than a minute to make!
Almond Milk Smoothie
As someone who claimed to be a guru at time management, I’ve found myself struggling over the last few weeks. I think it stems from the holiday period, where events are plenty and my friends and family have more free time. I’ve been saying yes to more coffees out and lunch dates, my work has been piling up. Luckily, I know how my body works, and ensuring I don’t skip meals has always been a priority.
Whenever my schedule gets a little fuller than I’d like, my breakfast choices change with it. That doesn’t mean that I resort to something packaged or unhealthy- quite the contrary. Instead of some oatmeal pancakes or waffles, I enjoy making myself a quick and delicious almond milk smoothie.
I’ve been meaning to share some of my almond milk smoothie recipes for quite some time. It’s been my go-to smoothie since I was in high school, and was my breakfast of choice 5 mornings a week! It’s quick and easy to make and needs just a blender. There is also so much variety when it comes to almond milk, and it is very widely available.
No dairy and no refined sugar is needed, but you’d never tell. The texture is smooth and creamy, and you can make it as thick as you like. It’s pleasantly sweet and with a slightly nutty flavor, without being overpowering.
While I aim to manage my time as it once was, I don’t see this smoothie going anywhere anytime soon- It is so healthy and delicious, I’ve even gotten my mom hooked on it!
How to make a smoothie with almond milk
- Banana– Frozen bananas are best, as they give the smoothies an even thicker and creamier texture. Be sure to roughly chop them, to make them easier to blend.
- Almond milk– I used unsweetened vanilla almond milk, but you can use plain unsweetened.
- Almonds– Gives the smoothies some added thickness and staying power, with a lovely nutty flavor. You can use any nuts or seeds of choice.
- Cinnamon– Optional, but gives a subtle cinnamon flavor that works so well with banana.
- Ice– Crushed ice that gives the smoothie extra thickness.
Start by adding your banana, almond milk, and almonds into a high speed blender. Blend until smooth. Next, add the cinnamon (if using it) and ice and continue to blend until thick and creamy.
Pour into glasses and enjoy.
Tips to make the best almond milk smoothie
- If you prefer thick smoothies, do not over blend the ice.
- For a low carb smoothie, swap out the banana for frozen pumpkin or avocado chunks. You will need to add 1-2 tablespoons of your favorite sweetener to compensate (erythritol works great).
- Feel free to add 1 scoop of your favorite protein powder to add a protein boost. Unless you want to change up the flavor, I’d stick to an unflavored protein powder.
- If you’d like a sweeter smoothie, you can add some honey, maple syrup, or agave nectar.
While this smoothie tastes delicious on its own, feel free to change up the flavors for some variety!
- Strawberry banana– Add 1/2 cup frozen strawberries before blending.
- Chocolate– Use unsweetened chocolate almond milk and add 1-2 tablespoons of cocoa powder.
- Blueberry– Add 1/2 cup frozen blueberries before blending.
- Mango– Chop frozen mango pieces and add them in at the end of the blending process.
- Peanut butter– Add 1-2 tablespoons of peanut butter before blending.
Storing and freezing the smoothie
- To store: Smoothies are best enjoyed within 1-2 hours of making them. However, you can store it in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Be sure to mix it very well before enjoying it.
- To freeze: Pour the smoothie into an ice cube tray or ziplock bags, and store in the freezer for up to 6 months. When ready to enjoy, simply reblend until smooth and creamy.
More smoothie recipes you’ll enjoy
Almond Milk Smoothie
- In a high speed blender or food processor, add your almond milk, frozen banana, and almonds. Blend very well, until thick and smooth. Add the cinnamon and ice and continue to blend, until your desired thickness is achieved.
- Pour the smoothie into glasses and enjoy.