This keto avocado smoothie is so rich and creamy, you won’t believe that is low carb! Made with just 3 ingredients, it’s perfect for a filling breakfast or a satisfying snack! 2 grams net carbs per serving.
Keto Avocado Smoothie
Growing up, I was never the kid who skipped breakfast. My mom made it a point to ALWAYS send me to school with something in my stomach, even if it meant having to wake me up earlier than expected. I’m pretty sure this soon became a habit for me, because to this day, I cannot function without breakfast. Regardless of how early of a morning start I have or even if I’m on holiday or traveling for work, breakfast always happens one way or another.
With that said, I never spend more than 5 minutes preparing my meal. More often than not, I often do a simple meal prep on the weekends to have my bases covered. If I’m not enjoying some low carb oatmeal or a slice of banana bread, I’ll be whipping up a creamy avocado smoothie!
I’ve been meaning to share an avocado smoothie recipe for quite some time. It’s been my go-to breakfast recently, and also makes a fabulous afternoon snack! To be quite honest, I’ve also had it for dessert too, but that was only because my mom gave me 5 avocados that were almost TOO ripe.
Now, don’t be squeamish at the thought of adding avocado to a smoothie. I promise you, it won’t taste like avocado at all. The texture is smooth, thick, and creamy. It’s pleasantly sweet and satisfying, and can easily be customized with your favorite fruit or flavors (like chocolate!). Adding homemade condensed milk gives it an even better texture!
I made this for my friend the other day after our workout and they did NOT believe me when I said there was avocado in it- If it wasn’t for the color, they would have assumed something else!
How do you make a low carb avocado smoothie?
- Milk of choice– Any milk can be used. I used unsweetened almond milk.
- Keto condensed milk– My secret ingredient for the sweetness AND extra creaminess. To keep it low carb, I used sugar free condensed milk.
- Ice– Crushed ice, for added thickness.
- Avocado– Avoid using overripe avocado, otherwise it will yield a darker and thinner smoothie.
In a high speed blender or food processor, combine your milk, condensed milk, and ice, and blend well, until combined. Next, add your chopped avocado and blend until creamy and smooth. Distribute the smoothie amongst four glasses and enjoy it immediately.
Tips to make the best avocado smoothie
- Many supermarkets now stock frozen avocado cubes. Feel free to use that instead of a fresh avocado.
- For an even thicker and creamy smoothie, freeze your avocado chunks prior to adding them to the smoothie.
- If you don’t want to use condensed milk, you can substitute that for 1-2 tablespoons of your favorite granulated sweetener. I love adding erythritol or monk fruit sweetener.
- For a richer and more indulgent smoothie, swap out the milk for heavy cream.
While this smoothie tastes incredible on its own, here are some fun flavor options to jazz things up!
- Blueberry– Add 1/2- 1 cup frozen blueberries.
- Banana– Add in 1 large frozen banana and reduce half the condensed milk.
- Strawberry– Replace half the avocado with 2 cups of frozen strawberries.
- Coconut– Use coconut milk and swap out half the avocado with frozen coconut chunks.
- Chocolate– Add 2-3 tablespoons cocoa powder before adding the avocado.
- Spinach– An extra boost of nutrients! Add 1-2 cups of baby or English spinach to it.
Storing and freezing the smoothie
- To store: This smoothie is best enjoyed fresh, as it can separate the longer it sits. However, if you intend to drink it within 24 hours, you can store it in the refrigerator, covered. Before drinking, give it a stir using a spoon.
- To freeze: Freezing smoothies is actually possible! Freeze this smoothie in a shallow container or in an ice cube tray. The smoothie can be stored like this for up to 6 months. When ready to enjoy your smoothie, simply remove it from the freezer and place it back into your blender and blend until it is smooth and creamy.
More keto drink recipes to try
Keto Avocado Smoothie
- In a high speed blender, add your milk, condensed milk, and crushed ice, and blend until combined. Add your avocado and continue to blend until creamy and smooth.
- Pour the smoothie into four glasses and enjoy immediately.