This creamy avocado chicken salad recipe combines grilled chicken, avocado, corn, and bacon in one zesty main or side dish. Deliciously satisfying and full of flavor!
How do you elevate a simple chicken salad? Add avocado and transform it into a crave-worthy and satisfying meal.
I’m the kind of person who needs a little *something* in my salads to keep me satisfied and full, and that’s what this salad entails. Not only do we add creamy avocado, but there’s also tons of corn and the most zesty lime dressing.
Table of Contents
Why this recipe works
- No mayo needed. This is a mayo-free chicken salad recipe. You won’t miss it because the soft avocado gives it a rich and creamy consistency, and there is so much flavor.
- Quick and easy. This salad can be ready and on the table in under 30 minutes. But to whip it together even faster, make it with leftover or store-bought chicken and bacon instead (like we did!). The dressing can also be made days in advance, giving you more time to focus on the many ways to serve this zesty dish.
- Versatile. Like classic chicken salad, you can serve this recipe as a main dish or side dish, in a sandwich or lettuce wrap, and more! The serving options are endless.
This Mexican-inspired chicken avocado salad uses only the freshest and most flavorful ingredients. Here’s what you need:
- Chicken breasts. Freshly grilled chicken breasts seasoned with taco seasoning will infuse the salad with zesty and smoky flavors. You can also make this recipe with the leftover shredded chicken already in your fridge, store-bought rotisserie chicken, or I sometimes pan-cook some chicken tenderloins.
- Avocados. The star ingredient in this salad! Avocados add a rich creaminess to every bite and compliment the zesty lime dressing perfectly. They are a fantastic replacement for mayo.
- Corn. Use frozen, canned, or fresh corn kernels.
- Bacon. Pieces of crispy bacon in the salad give it a delicious salty punch. I like to make some air fryer turkey bacon to cut back on the fat and also amp up the protein.
- Green onion. For a mild onion flavor in the salad. Remove the stems and chip up the green parts only. If you’d like to use actual onions, red onions are a good option.
- Dill. Use fresh dill if possible because it has a fresher and lighter flavor than dried dill.
- Lime juice. The main source of flavor and acidity in the chicken salad dressing. You can use lemon juice, too.
- Extra virgin olive oil. For the dressing.
- Salt and pepper. To taste.
How to make a chicken avocado salad
Step 1- Combine the salad ingredients. Add the sliced chicken breasts, diced avocados, corn, bacon, and scallions to a large bowl.
Step 2- Make the dressing. Stir the lime juice, olive oil, salt, pepper, and dill in a small bowl.
Step 3- Assemble and serve. Pour the dressing over the salad, toss together, and serve.
Recipe tips and variations
- Make the dressing in advance. Mix the ingredients together in a sealed jar and keep it in the fridge for later. This way, it’s ready to use at a moment’s notice!
- Add the avocado right before serving. Avocados tend to brown very quickly. This doesn’t necessarily affect the salad’s flavor, but the presentation won’t look as tasty.
- Let it chill. I like to refrigerate the salad for about 30 minutes before serving. This gives all of the flavors time to meld, giving you tastier results.
- Use other cuts of chicken. Shredded chicken thighs are always delicious, as are chicken tenderloins too.
- Add other vegetables. Like any salad, you can change up the veggies to suit your preferences. Diced tomato, red peppers, fresh cilantro, and parsley are all fabulous additions.
- Make it creamier. I feel the avocado adds plenty of creaminess, but if you want it even creamier, add around 1/2 cup of full-fat plain Greek yogurt or sour cream.
To store: Keep the leftover salad in the bowl or transfer it to an airtight container. Press a layer of plastic wrap directly on top of the salad to prevent the avocado from browning further. Place a lid on top and store it in the fridge for 3 to 4 days.
Frequently asked questions
This salad is best served cold. Make sure to let the chicken and bacon cool to at least room temperature before assembly.
Absolutely! For a super flavorful salad, swap out the avocado for equal parts guacamole.
More delicious salad recipes to try
Avocado Chicken Salad
- In a salad bowl, combine sliced chicken breasts, diced avocados, corn, bacon, and scallions.
- In a small bowl, combine lime juice, olive oil, salt, pepper, and fresh dill.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and mix everything together.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.