This keto egg salad is so creamy and flavorful, you’ll be adding it to everything and anything! Super low carb and full of curried flavor, it’s great to use as a sandwich filling, for potlucks, and even for meal prep!
Let’s face it. When it comes to classic sandwich fillings, nothing comes close to an egg salad. Whenever I went to a sandwich shop or a diner, I’d always get egg salad on sourdough. After perfecting my keto sandwich bread recipe, I knew the first thing I wanted to use it for was a creamy egg salad.
Traditional egg salads are full of mayonnaise and often have added sugar. I get that it contributes to the creaminess, but sometimes it can be overpowering. Instead, I’ve swapped out half the mayonnaise with Greek yogurt, and let me tell you- You’ll become a fan.
Not only does this egg salad become healthier and pack more protein in it, but it also reduces the fat content significantly. We already get plenty of healthy fats from the egg, so subbing out most of the mayo with it was a no brainer. You won’t even miss it, I promise you!
How do you make a keto egg salad?
- Boiled eggs– Shells removed and chopped finely. I recommend chilling the boiled eggs first, but room temperature is fine. Do not prepare this salad while the eggs are warm.
- Mayonnaise– Any good quality mayonnaise with no added sugar or salt. Whole egg or olive oil based mayonnaises are fine.
- Greek Yogurt– The secret ingredient for the ultra creamy texture. Using all mayonnaise would be too heavy and calorie dense, but balancing it out with yogurt gives it the extra creaminess.
- Curry powder– Optional, but there is something special about a curried egg salad. Use as much or as little as you like.
- Salt and pepper– To taste! I often use less salt and there is already some added in the curry powder I use.
In a large mixing bowl, add your chopped eggs, mayonnaise, and yogurt, and mix until combined. Add your curry powder, salt, and pepper, and mix until fully incorporated. Enjoy immediately or store until later.
Tips to make the best keto egg salad
- If possible, refrigerate your boiled eggs or submerge them in iced water before putting the salad together. This will ensure the yolks don’t crumble when mixed with the other ingredients.
- For a lighter egg salad, use an extra 3-4 egg whites only.
- Feel free to add any of your favorite spices or herbs. Cayenne pepper, smoked paprika, and oregano are all fantastic additions.
- For some added crunch, add chopped celery or cucumber.
How do you store egg salad
Store leftover egg salad in the refrigerator in a sealed container. The salad will keep well for up to 3 days.
Do not freeze the egg salad.
Ways to serve keto egg salad
- Keto egg salad sandwich– Slice keto bagels and spread egg salad in between and some cheese, and enjoy for breakfast.
- Keto Breakfast Sandwich– Load the egg salad between two slices of fresh keto bread.
- Breakfast burritos– Fill a keto tortilla with egg salad, smoked salmon, and a touch of lemon juice. Wrap up and enjoy it.
- Lunch plate– Make a lunch plate with some egg salad, stuffed bell peppers, and baked buffalo cauliflower.
- Avocado Lettuce wraps– Fill lettuce leaves with some avocado egg salad. Season with tabasco or hot sauce, and enjoy.
More delicious keto main dishes to try
Keto Egg Salad
For the standard version
- 8 large eggs boiled and chilled
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp Curry powder optional
- 1/2 tsp salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper to taste
- In a large mixing bowl, add your chopped eggs, mayonnaise, and Greek yogurt, and mix well.
- Add the curry powder salt, and pepper, and mix. Serve immediately or refrigerate until later.