This homemade peppermint mocha is a keto and sugar free twist on the classic Starbucks holiday beverage! Just 5 ingredients and ready in minutes!
Skinny Peppermint Mocha
I never quite understood all the hate for peppermint added to desserts. Growing up, it was my all-time favorite combination. In a mixed box of chocolates, I’d always choose the peppermint creams. At the ice cream parlor, I’d always get the mint chocolate chip ice cream. The odd time my parents would allow me to choose a candy at the grocery store, you guessed it…I’d pick a peppermint pattie or a mint aero bar.
Now, if candy or sweets aren’t the kinds of things to sway someone to the minty side, there is one thing that is sure to do so- the classic Peppermint mocha. It’s the seasonal beverage that Starbucks and many other coffee shops releases, come the festive season. Although I’m typically a black coffee drinker, come the release of these peppermint beverages, that goes out the window in favor of one of these.
Traditional peppermint mochas are not exactly the healthiest of choices. They are packed with so much sugar (both in the coffee and in the syrup) and dairy, you may as well eat an ice cream sundae (peppermint, of course). Even the skinny and nonfat versions pack a sugar punch. Luckily, you can easily make your own homemade HEALTHY version.
No dairy and no sugar needed, but you’d never tell. It’s full of coffee and peppermint flavor, with a pleasantly sweet aftertaste. If you poured it into one of the famous red cups, you’d think you were drinking the actual Starbucks drink!
For anyone wanting a keto Starbucks drink, THIS is your answer- Less than 2 grams net carbs total!
Ingredients to make a sugar free mocha with peppermint
- Milk of choice– Use your favorite milk for this recipe. I prefer using unsweetened almond milk and unsweetened coconut milk.
- Espresso– You can either use instant coffee or if you own a coffee machine, a single shot of espresso. If you are intolerant of caffeine, you can use decaffeinated coffee.
- Cocoa powder– To give a dash of chocolate flavor to the mocha.
- Granulated sweetener of choice- I used erythritol, but monk fruit sweetener can also be used.
- Peppermint extract– A must for any peppermint recipe! Do not use mint extract, as the flavor isn’t anywhere near as strong.
- Whipped cream– Optional, but what is a fancy Starbucks drink without some?
How do you make a Peppermint Mocha Recipe
In a small saucepan, on medium heat, heat up all your ingredients, except for the peppermint extract. Once it begins to simmer, reduce to very low and whisk in the peppermint extract. Allow it to simmer for a further 1-2 minutes while stirring regularly.
Remove from the heat and let sit for a minute, before pouring into two mugs. Top with whipped cream, if desired.
Tips to make the best peppermint mocha
- For an iced peppermint mocha, let the mocha cool for 5 minutes, before pouring into a glass filled with ice. Alternatively, let it cool completely, before refrigerating for up to 3 days.
- For a peppermint mocha frappucino, chill the mocha and then blend 1 cup with 1 cup of ice. Add extra sweetener if needed.
- Do not go overboard with the peppermint extract. A little goes a long way, and any more than that, it will be very overpowering and bitter.
- If you own an Espresso or other similar coffee machine, use a full capsule of coffee with the espresso or ristretto settings.
More festive recipes to make
- Keto Hot Chocolate
- Gingerbread Latte
- Sticky Toffee Pudding
- Chocolate Almond Bark
- Gingerbread Cookies
Peppermint Mocha (Starbucks Copycat!)
- In a small saucepan, combine all your ingredients, except for the whipped cream. On medium heat, bring to a boil. Once it begins to boil, reduce to very low. Let it simmer for 2-3 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Remove from the heat and let cool for a minute, before pouring into two mugs. Top with whipped cream and enjoy.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.