This keto avocado toast is a low carb and grain free twist on the classic breakfast and brunch staple! Easily customizable and keeps you satisfied all morning! 3 grams net carbs per serving.
Keto Avocado Toast
Breakfast and brunch will always be my favorite meals of the day. I’m the kind of person who will always make time for breakfast, even if it means prepping things in advance or purposely putting time aside for it. To be honest, I’m not one of those people who can skip breakfast and be okay- I wouldn’t be able to function!
With that said, I also like quick and easy meals that take minimal prep. Over the past few months, I’ve been making an effort to switch up my morning meal to add some variety. While I usually stick to a smoothie or some keto oats, I’ve recently loved making the classic avocado toast.
I’ve been meaning to share a keto avocado toast recipe for quite some time. It’s the easiest and most simple breakfast that looks and tastes incredibly fancy. All you need is avocado, a few spices, and some delicious low carb bread, and you are set!
No grains or dairy are needed, but you’d never tell. The smooth and creamy avocado paired with the crispy toast is like a match made in heaven. What I love about this breakfast is just how easy it is to customize- From adding herbs, proteins, spreads, or even some eggs.
I had some friends come over for brunch and I served them this toast with a bunch of add-ins and NO ONE believed me when I told them it was low carb- They thought it tasted like the traditional version!
How do you make keto avocado toast?
- Avocado– Fresh and slightly overripe avocados are best, as they yield a smoother and creamier texture.
- Lemon juice– Stops the avocado from browning, and also gives a subtle citrus kick.
- Salt and pepper– To taste. I like to add a little into the mixture and sprinkle extra on top.
- Red pepper flakes– optional, but gives a spicy kick.
- Low carb bread- Use your favorite low carb bread (Aldi zero carb is fantastic) or a slice of a homemade version.
Start by mashing your avocado until it is mostly smooth with minimal clumps. Next, add the lemon juice and spices and mix very well, until combined. Toast your bread, before spreading a generous portion of the avocado mixture on top. Squeeze with extra lemon juice and serve immediately.
Tips to make the best low carb avocado toast
- Your avocado must be ripe, otherwise, it will lack a creamy texture and be too stringy.
- Feel free to use guacamole instead of the avocado mixture.
- Do not store the avocado toast to enjoy later or freeze in advance- It needs to be made fresh!
What goes well on avocado toast?
- Fresh herbs– Dukkah, fresh basil, and cilantro.
- Antipasto– Chopped sun dried tomatoes, olives, or even marinated artichoke hearts.
- Soft cheeses– Feta cheese, ricotta cheese, or grated cheddar cheese.
- Protein– Bacon, smoked salmon, or grilled chicken.
- Eggs– Poached, fried, or scrambled eggs.
Bread options to use instead of toast
While toast is the OG of vehicles for the mashed avocado, here are some other keto bread options that would work just as well!
Keto Avocado Toast
- 2 large avocados
- 1/2 large lemon squeezed
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 4 slices keto bread
- In a mixing bowl, add your avocado and mash very well, until mostly smooth. Add in the lemon juice and spices and mix until combined.
- Toast your slices of keto bread. Distribute the avocado mixture amongst the toast and serve immediately.
- Fresh herbs- Dukkah, fresh basil, and cilantro.
- Antipasto- Chopped sun dried tomatoes, olives, or even marinated artichoke hearts.
- Soft cheeses- Feta cheese, ricotta cheese, or grated cheddar cheese.
- Protein- Bacon, smoked salmon, or grilled chicken.
- Eggs- Poached, fried, or scrambled eggs.