This keto quiche recipe is a simple yet elegant egg-based dish that is perfect for a low carb breakfast or brunch! Less than 3 net carbs per serving, you can enjoy it with a crust or crustless!
The Best Keto Quiche Recipe
If there’s one dish that’s easy to make and yet makes you feel fancy, it has to be a quiche.
While I have a few favorites, including cream cheese pancakes and breakfast cookies, If I could only choose one, it would be my keto quiche.
You only need five ingredients for the filling, and it’s easy to customize. It uses a homemade low carb pie crust which is perfectly buttery and crisp.
It’s perfect to enjoy hot or cold, so you can eat it directly out of the fridge.
Each serving has just 3 grams of net carbs, so you can enjoy a slice or three without making a dent in your daily carb allowance!
You also have the option to make it without the crust, which will then make this recipe under 1 gram of net carbs!
Ingredients you’ll need
The beauty of this recipe is just how simple the ingredients are. You’ve probably got everything in your pantry right now and if you don’t, you can find them at any basic grocery store. Here is what you need to make this recipe:
- Low carb pie crust– What makes this quiche stand out is the homemade crust used- It’s perfectly buttery and firm, and holds the filling perfectly.
- Eggs– room temperature eggs.
- Heavy cream– Room temperature cream. You can use double cream or thickened cream.
- Ham and bacon– I like to swap out half the bacon with chopped ham to cut down on the fat content and also reduce the oiliness. You are welcome to use all bacon or all ham if you wish!
- Cheddar cheese– Freshly grated is always superior to the pre-shredded kind.
- Green onions– Finely sliced.
How to make a keto quiche?
Making this low carb quiche is quick and easy, and takes less than 25 minutes INCLUDING making the crust.
Of course, if you omit the crust, then it barely takes any time at all. Here’s the simple 3-step process in making the quiche:
Step 1- Blind bake the crust
Start by preparing the pie crust and blind baking it so it will be sturdy enough to hold the fillings. Let the crust cool completely before preparing the filling.
Step 2- Make the filling
To make the filling, crisp the bacon in a pan, then set it aside on a paper towel to soak up excess oil. In a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, heavy cream, ham, crispy bacon, cheddar cheese, and green onions, until completely combined.
Step 3- Bake the quiche
Now, transfer the mixture into the pie crust and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until the middle of the quiche has set. Remove the quiche from the oven and let it cool for ten minutes, before slicing and serving.
How to make a crustless keto quiche
To make a keto crustless quiche, simply omit the crust and bake the quiche in a generously greased ceramic or glass pie or tart pan.
Reduce the cooking time to 25 minutes and let the quiche sit for 20 minutes before serving.
Tips for success
- Cover the pie crust with tin foil when baking the quiche will the filling. This will ensure it doesn’t burn or over-brown.
- For a creamier quiche filling, remove from the oven when the tops ‘just’ look done, and let the quiche rest for 20 minutes. The filling with firm up slightly, but still be creamy, almost like a custard.
- If you love an extra cheesy quiche, sprinkle some shredded cheese over the top halfway through the baking time.
The beauty of any quiche is how easy it is to customize. This keto version is no different, and here are some of our favorite ways to change it up:
- Quiche Lorraine- Add bacon and replace the heavy cream with Creme Fraiche.
- Impossible quiche-Add ham and chopped onion, and use strictly cheddar cheese for the cheese portion (not mozzarella).
- Bacon and leek quiche- Fold through chopped bacon and leeks, and omit the spinach.
- Spinach and ricotta quiche- Replace half the heavy cream with smooth ricotta cheese.
- Ham and tomato- Add ham and chopped tomato, and omit the baby spinach, if desired.
Wondering what is the best way to store leftovers? Here are best practices for quiche storage:
- To store: Leftovers should always be stored in the refrigerator, completely covered. It will keep for up to 1 week.
- To freeze: Place slices of the cooked and cooled quiche in an airtight container and store it in the freezer for up to six months.
- Reheating: While the quiche can be enjoyed cold or at room temperature, you can also enjoy it warmed up. Reheat in a preheated oven for 5-6 minutes.
FAQS about this low carb quiche
Can I make this quiche ahead of time?
If you’d like to prepare this quiche in advance to enjoy at a later time, I recommend you bake it first. If you have an uncooked crust and raw egg mixture, it will soften the keto pie crust, which will seep the egg mixture out.
Make the quiche up to three days in advance.
Does crustless quiche have carbs?
If you make this recipe without a crust, there will be less than 1 gram net carbs.
Is quiche good for losing weight?
Quiches are high in protein and lower in carbs, and can be good for a weight loss diet. However, they often use heavy cream and/or cream in the filling, which is very high in calories.
Can I use coconut flour in the crust?
This keto quiche crust is made with almond flour and cannot be substituted with coconut flour.
More keto brunch recipes to try
Best Keto Quiche Recipe | With or Without a crust!
- 1 recipe keto pie crust
- 5 large eggs room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 3/4 cup bacon chopped
- 1/2 cup ham chopped
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/3 cup green onions sliced
- Prepare the crust as instructed and blind bake it. Add dried beans or pie stones to it before baking so it doesn’t rise and also add tin foil around the edges so it doesn’t burn. Let the crust cool completely.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Add the bacon to a pan and cook until crispy. Set aside on paper towel.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs. Add the heavy cream, ham, bacon, cheese, and green onions. Stir until mixed.
- Transfer into the pie crust and add tin foil around the edges to prevent the crust from burning. Bake for 40-50 minutes, or until just set in the middle.
- Remove from the oven and let rest for a few minutes, before slicing and serving.