These keto bagels are chewy and dense in the middle and have a tender crust, they taste like the real thing! Made with just 5 ingredients, these have no yeast in them!
The Best Keto Bagels
If you are after the best tasting low carb bagels ever, you’ve come to the right place.
There are so many keto bagel recipes out there, but none of them come close to achieving the texture of a traditional wheat based bagel.
This one, however, is the real deal. It takes less than 15 minutes to bake and has the BEST texture.
Not to mention, it has the best texture- chewy in the middle and has a light yet dense crumb.
Oh, and each bagel has less than 2 grams of carbs!
What are keto bagels made of?
This is a very short ingredient list for this bagel recipe. If you’ve made any of my other keto recipes below, these are pretty standard. If you don’t have them on hand, they can all be easily found at any mainstream grocery store. Here is what you’ll need:
- Almond flour– Blanched almond flour or superfine almond flour, not almond meal. The former two will yield a light and tender crumb.
- Baking powder– Gives the bagels some rise and fluffiness.
- Mozzarella cheese– Low moisture mozzarella cheese is best, as it will yield a more chewy bagel with a golden exterior.
- Cream cheese– Full fat cream cheese, NOT reduced fat varieties.
- Eggs– Room temperature eggs. You can also add an extra egg yolk to be used as an egg wash.
- Toppings– Everything but the bagel seasoning, garlic powder, sesame seeds etc.
How do you make low carb bagels?
Simple is an understatement when it comes to this recipe.
To make these chewy keto bagels, you’ll need to just follow a simple 4-step process and set aside 10 minutes to bake them.
Let’s jump into it!
Step 1- Prepare the ingredients
Start by whisking together the almond flour and baking powder in a small bowl then set it aside. Next, add the mozzarella cheese and softened cream cheese to a microwave-safe bowl. Melt the two cheeses together in 20-second spurts, stirring each time, until they both are mostly melted. Whisk them together until combined and smooth.
Step 2- Process the dough
Next, let the cheese mixture cool slightly, before transferring them into a food processor. Add two of the eggs and dry ingredients and pulse everything together until a smooth and sticky dough remains.
Step 3- Shape into bagels
Now, sprinkle some almond flour onto a flat kitchen surface. Using lightly wet hands, transfer the dough onto it divide it into 8 portions. Roll out the dough then join them at the sides to form a bagel shape. Place them on a lined baking sheet and whisk the remaining egg. Brush the top of each bagel with the egg wash and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Step 4- Bake the bagels
Finally, bake the bagels for 12-15 minutes, until golden brown. Allow the bagels to cool before slicing, toasting, and serving.
Tips for success
- If your food processor has a dough blade attachment, use that to pulse everything together for a more uniform dough.
- Do not microwave the cheeses all at once- you must do them in 20-second spurts. This ensures they don’t burn or overcook, and be pliable enough to form the dough.
- The egg wash is optional, but it gives the bagels a golden crust and holds the toppings better.
- Asiago. Also known as cheese bagels! Fold through 1/4 cup of shredded cheese into the dough, and sprinkle the tops with parmesan cheese before baking.
- Poppy seed. sprinkle the tops of the bagels with poppy seeds.
- Cinnamon Raisin. Add 1/2 tablespoon of cinnamon into the dough, and fold through 2-3 tablespoons of raisins.
- Sesame. Simple and classic- Add toasted sesame seeds on top.
- Onion bagels. Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt and add onion powder and onion flakes to it. Top the bagels with coarse sea salt, onion flakes, and sesame seeds.
- Everything. Add everything but the bagel seasoning over the tops of the bagels.
Wondering what is the best way to store leftover bagels? Here are best practices for bread storage:
- To store: Leftover bagels are best to be stored in the refrigerator, in a sealed container. They will keep well for up to 5 days.
- To freeze: Place the bagels in a ziplock bag and store them in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- To reheat: Microwave for 30 seconds, before slicing in half and toasting in a toaster.
More keto bread recipes to make
Frequently Asked Questions
This particular keto bagel recipe contains 175 calories per bagel. Compared to a traditional bagel which yields at least 300 calories, they are not just low carb but also low calorie!
Low carb bagels have 2 grams net carbs per bagel.
Keto Bagels in 15 minutes | Just 5 Ingredients
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F. Line a large baking tray with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the almond flour and baking powder and set aside. In a microwave safe bowl, add the mozzarella cheese and cream cheese. Microwave them together in 30-second spurts, until mostly melted. Whisk them together until smooth.
- Transfer the mixture into a food processor, along with two of the eggs and dry ingredients, and pulse until smooth.
- Lightly flour a kitchen surface with some almond flour. Transfer the dough onto it and divide it into eight equal portions. Roll out each piece of dough into a thin, sausage shape. Connect the sides to form bagels.
- Place the bagels onto the lined baking sheet. Whisk the third egg in a small bowl then brush it over the tops of each bagel, then sprinkle your toppings of choice. Bake the bagels for 12-15 minutes, until firm and golden on top.
- Remove the bagels from the oven and let them cool completely, before slicing and serving.