Instant Keto English muffins ready in 90 seconds will satisfy ALL your bread cravings on any low carb diet!
Whether you follow a keto or grain-free diet or not, you’ll never buy bread again. These microwave English mug muffins take less than 2 minutes to make and are PERFECT with your favorite toppings.
Seriously, it’s so easy to make, they taste just like a traditional English muffin, especially when sliced in half and toasted.
I’ve completely stopped buying bread and muffins, and been making these microwave muffins when the cravings strike! I love prepping a bunch for breakfast meal prep and have a bunch in the freezer to thaw for a quick grab-and-go snack!
This entire recipe takes less than a minute to prep and just under two minutes to make in the microwave! Don’t have a microwave? Check out the oven instructions later in the post! No bread maker needed, it’s made in a mug or ramekin!
90 Second Keto English Muffin Ingredients
To make these instant English muffins, you’ll need just a handful of ingredients. Most are essential keto and paleo ingredients, and can easily be found in supermarkets or online.
The combination of blanched almond flour and coconut flour ensures that the texture is bread-like, without being dense or heavy. Do not substitute either of them or else the muffins will fall apart.
To make the English muffin light and fluffy, use an egg white instead of a whole egg. You can use either, but the whole egg will be denser.
How to make keto English muffins
- To start with, you will grease a 4-inch ramekin or 6-inch ramekin, ones that can be used in the microwave.
- Then, combine the dry ingredients into a small mixing bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix very well, until a batter remains.
- You’ll then transfer the batter into the greased ramekin. I recommend the 6-inch ramekin to avoid any potential overflow and even cooking throughout. Too small and it will under-bake, too large and it will dry out.
- Microwave the English muffin for 90 seconds- 2 minutes (depending on the brand of microwave you have).
- Allow cool for 30 seconds, before using a rubber spatula to loosen from the ramekin and remove.
How to make keto English muffins in the oven
If you don’t use a microwave or don’t own one, you can easily make it in the oven.
- You’ll prepare the ingredients as directed in the microwave instructions, but transfer the batter to an oven-safe ramekin (most are suitable for both the microwave and oven).
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Bake the keto muffin for at 10-12 minutes, until a skewer comes out just clean!
- Let cool slightly, before slicing in half.
How do you toast English Muffins?
These keto English muffins NEED to be toasted for the full classic English muffin taste and texture.
You can either toast them in the toaster oven or a toaster.
- Toaster– Place the sliced English muffins in a toaster and toast on medium heat (3).
- Toaster oven- Place muffin halves in a pre-heated toaster oven and toast for 6-7 minutes, until the edges go golden brown.
Can you freeze microwave English Muffins?
Keto English muffins can be prepped in advance for meal prep breakfasts or as a filling snack in between meals. They are freezer friendly and can be stored in the freezer.
To freeze, wrap pre-made and sliced English muffins (NOT toasted) in parchment paper. Once wrapped, place them in individual ziplock bags. They can be stored in the freezer for at least 2 months.
To thaw, allow frozen muffins to sit at room temperature or in the fridge overnight. Once thawed, they can be toasted.
What to eat with Keto English Muffins
- Copycat McMuffins- Make your homemade sausage patties and place one between one of these muffins.
- Almond Butter English Muffins– Spread a generous serving of homemade almond butter over each half.
- Veggie Burgers– Make cauliflower zucchini patties and top with desired toppings, before placing them between an English muffin for homemade vegan veggie burgers!
Can I make this eggless and vegan?
YES! You will LOVE this vegan version here. For another paleo version, you can try this recipe. Otherwise, I enjoy making this pumpkin version (also gluten-free and paleo!).
Watch the step-by-step video for the vegan option below!
90 Second Keto English Muffin Recipe
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 4 tablespoon blanched almond flour
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut oil can substitute for butter
- 1 egg white See post for vegan option
- 2 tablespoon Unsweetened almond milk can use any milk of choice
- Grease a 4-inch or 6-inch microwave-safe ramekin or bowl and set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine your dry ingredients and mix well. Add the rest of your ingredients and whisk together, until a batter remains.
- Transfer your mug muffin batter into the greased ramekin. Microwave for 90 seconds- 2 minutes (depending on your microwave). Remove from the microwave and use a rubber spatula to remove the muffin from the ramekin.
- Slice the English muffin in half and toast before enjoying it.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Grease a 4-inch or 6-inch oven-safe ramekin.
- Mix all the ingredients in a small mixing bowl. Transfer to an oven-safe dish.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean from the center.
- Use a rubber spatula to remove from the ramekin before slicing in half and toasting.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.
Can I put in large cupcake molds instead since I don’t have ramekins to bake it?
I don’t see why not- Although they tend to be more difficult to hold shape 🙂
are you sure you mean a 6 INCH ramekin ? ( that’s a mighty big english muffin !!) I am betting you mean 6 ounce….
YES! My mistake, that would be one MASSIVE muffin hahahah! Although how good would that be… 😉
my mother used to make English Muffins and she grilled them on the stove top…wonder if this method will work for this recipe ? I think I will double it and give it a try….
Oh yes! I’ve tried it this way before- Slice in half then use grilling tongs to turn. It’s also great to make breakfast sandwiches toasted on top too 🙂
Thank you i dont see the post for vegan option. 😬
The link is just above the recipe card.
These look so yummy 😋 any chance you have a Keto recipe for the jam??
Working on it- Should be soon!
L🧡VE L🧡VE L🧡VE your site!!! I just stumbled onto it and i’m having a ball🤗…also looking forward to trying these and the many many other recipes you’ve created! Keep shining 🌟
😀 thanks, Lori xx
Do these have the same texture as an English muffin? I want to make eggs Benedict & miss the chew of the muffin.
Mmmm sort of!
Would it work to use only coconut flour for a nut free option?
Would it work to use only coconut flour for a nut free option?
Not that I’ve tried
First time we tried it they were great… second time we did them in the oven… Personal advice, DON’T USE THE OVEN, they come out crumbling. Microwave, let cool, then toast 👍
So happy I stumbled upon this recipe!
After changing my diet, I missed having an english muffin in the morning.
These were delicious and so easy.
I put almond butter on one half and smashed avocado with Trader Joe’s Everything But The Bagel seasoning on the other half.
So good and easy and quick to make!! Love as a blt or with butter and peanut butter or butter and cream cheese. Soooo delish!!
Am I correct in assuming that the butter or coconut oil should be melted before adding to the recipe?
Wow, these worked so perfectly with eggs Benedict! Knocked my socks off. I am gonna double or triple the recipe next time so I can have more on hand.
Finally! Great keto english muffins!