Keto naan is a low carb and grain free take on the classic Indian naan bread. Thick, fluffy, and topped with a simple garlic butter, it’s perfectly paired with cauliflower rice or veggie burgers. No rest time, no heavy kneading, and no fancy kitchen mixers needed.
Ever since sharing my 2 ingredient dough naan recipe, I’d been meaning to make a keto naan bread. Fluffy and delicious naan is something I’d missed since going keto, so I was SO keen to recreate one of my favorite foods ever.
Inspired by my keto chips, I played around with the base ingredients to create this delicious low carb naan!
Unlike traditional naan, this keto version is made without flour and without yeast, but you’d never tell. It’s thick, fluffy and doughy, and takes less than 20 minutes to make!
Now, don’t be deterred by the use of mozzarella cheese- It doesn’t give any cheesy flavor but adds the most buttery texture. We love serving this easy keto naan with homemade keto korma and curries, or even on its own- It makes a fabulous keto naan pizza or can be flavored in many ways.
How do you make keto naan
- Mozzarella cheese– Avoid using reduced-fat or fat-free mozzarella, otherwise, the dough will have an elastic texture, and dry out when baked.
- Milk of choice- Added to the mozzarella cheese to make it smooth and easy to mix with the other ingredients. You can also use sour cream, Greek yogurt, or heavy cream.
- Almond flour– Blanched almond flour must be used, for a light texture. Do not use almond meal.
- Eggs– Helps bind the naan together. Room temperature eggs are best, so they don’t cool the dough down quickly.
- Baking powder– Leavens out the naan.
- Butter– melted, to brush over the naan. Dairy free butter can also be used.
- Minced garlic– To mix into the butter to give the naan a lovely garlic flavor.
Start by microwaving the mozzarella cheese with milk, until it has melted. Transfer it to a large mixing bowl to let it cool slightly, before adding in the eggs, almond flour, and baking powder. Mix very well, until a ball od dough remains. Let the dough sit for 5 minutes. Once it has cooled slightly, form 8 balls of dough and flatten them out to a rough, circular shape. Place the naan on a baking dish and bake them for 18-20 minutes, or until just done. Remove from the oven and let sit for 10 minutes, before brushing with butter and minced garlic.
Can I make this stovetop?
If you’d prefer to make this keto naan stovetop, you’ll need to let your dough sit until cooled. Once cool, preheat a non-stick pan on medium heat and generously grease it (to avoid the cheese melting onto it). Reduce the heat to low and cook the naan for 2-3 minutes, before carefully flipping and cooking the other side. Continue until all the naan has been cooked.
Tips for the perfect naan
- When mixing in the eggs and almond flour, you want the dough to be cooled, not hot. If it is hot, it will begin to cook the cook and you’ll find the naan doesn’t expand and puff out.
- For fluffy naan, form balls of dough instead of flattening it out. It will continue to bake the same way, but have a fluffier texture inside.
- The garlic butter topping is optional. I enjoy leaving it as it is.
- Make larger naan and use them as keto pizza crusts.
Storing and Freezing naan bread
- To store: Leftover naan can be stored in the refrigerator to enjoy later. Be sure it is covered completely. It will keep well for up to 1 week.
- To freeze: Freeze leftover naan by placing them in ziplock bags, or a shallow container. They will freeze well for up to 2 months.
- To thaw: Thaw at room temperature or in the refrigerator overnight.
More Keto Bread Recipes
Keto Naan Bread (No yeast!)
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Line a large baking tray with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl or in a small saucepan, heat up your mozzarella cheese and milk until melted. Whisk together to combine.
- Transfer the cheese mixture into a large mixing bowl. Let sit for 2 minutes to cool slightly. Add your almond flour, eggs, and baking powder. Mix very well, until combined and a ball of dough remains.
- Using your hands, form the dough into a ball. Divide the dough into 8 pieces. Roughly flatten out into off shaped circles. Place on the lined tray.
- Bake the keto naan for 18-20 minutes, until puffed up and golden brown. Remove from the oven and let sit for 10 minutes, before brushing with garlic butter, if desired.