The easiest low carb and paleo-friendly cauliflower fried rice recipe ever! Ready in under 10 minutes, it’s quick, easy and the perfect rice substitute!
When doing the whole30 challenge, giving up rice is easily one of the hardest things. Coming from a half Asian heritage, rice has always been an integral part of my diet.
Luckily, this delicious whole30 approved cauliflower fried rice has been a savior!
Can I eat Cauliflower on a keto diet?
Cauliflower is 100% keto-friendly, as it is super low in carbs, high in fiber and overall, has a low net carb count.
Cauliflower can be used in multiple ways to replace carbs- Mashed to replace cauliflower and blended together to resemble rice.
Which means.. when people ask ‘Can I eat fried rice on Keto?’ you can say YES!
How many carbs are in riced cauliflower?
Cauliflower rice contains up to 85% fewer carbs than what 1 cup of white rice contains. It also has significantly more fiber and protein! Per 1 cup of rice, these are how many carbs each kind yields-
- Riced cauliflower: 5 grams carbs.
- White rice: 47 grams carbs,
- Brown rice: 45 grams of carbs.
So 5 grams of carbs in cauliflower rice compared to a whopping 47 grams in white rice!
How to make the BEST easy cauliflower fried rice
The beauty of cauliflower fried rice is that you can make it as ingredient heavy or ingredient light as you like. You can easily add a protein source, like tofu, or leave it as is. I opted to make mine keto and vegan-friendly, so no meat is needed whatsoever!
To start, add some sesame oil on a large non-stick pan. Heat on medium, until it is hot. Add some chopped onions and gently fry for 1-2 minutes, before adding your shallots, garlic, and ginger. Cook for another minute, before adding the rest of your vegetables (I used carrots and spring onion) and continue to fry, for around 3 minutes. Finally, add your cauliflower rice and mix very well, until it has mixed through all the ingredients. You’ll then add the liquid aminos (or soy sauce) and continue to fry for 2 minutes until cauliflower rice is tender. While the rice is still hot, scoop into bowls, top with extra spring onions, sesame seeds and a drizzle of hot sauce, and dig in!
Making your own sauce? Use this almond butter as a base- It’s whole30 approved too!
What to serve with cauliflower fried rice
Cauliflower fried rice is delicious enjoyed on its own, or pair it with your favorite protein or veggie sides.
- Curried Tuna Patties (Whole30 approved): A delicious pescatarian main dish that is cheap to make and easy to whip up.
- Curried Salmon Patties: Like the tuna patties, all you need is canned salmon
- Chicken Patties: Not Whole30 approved but a delicious way to get a cheesy twist with the cauliflower rice.
How to make cauliflower fried rice with frozen cauliflower
While I prefer using fresh cauliflower rice, you can easily make this with frozen, packed cauliflower rice.
The key to making this fried rice using frozen cauliflower is to allow it to thaw completely. Once it has been thawed, you need to squeeze out any remaining liquid that is a result of the ice. Then, it will be ready to cook.
My secret trick to perfect frozen cauliflower rice is to thaw it until room temperature in the microwave- it is so much easier!
Can cauliflower fried rice be frozen?
I love making cauliflower fried rice as part of my keto and whole30 meal prep. As such, I always make a double batch so I can freeze individual portions.
To freeze cauliflower fried rice, place in single-serving containers and write on it the date, 1 month out from when it was made. Then, you’ll store in the freezer and simply thaw out at room temperature the day before you plan on eating it.
Whether you follow a keto diet, vegan diet or even properly adhering to the whole30 plan or not- You will LOVE this easy 10-minute cauliflower fried rice.
Easy Cauliflower Fried Rice (10 minutes)
- In a large wok or frying pan, add your sesame oil and heat on medium until hot.
- Add your onions and garlic and fry for 1-2 minutes, before adding your carrots and scallions and mix well. Fry for an extra minute.
- Add your riced cauliflower and mix well, until all the ingredients are fully combined. Continue frying for 3-4 minutes, until the cauliflower has become tender. Add your liquid aminos and cayenne pepper and mix very well. Continue to fry for an extra minute, before removing from the heat.
- Distribute cauliflower rice amongst 4 bowls and top with extra scallions, sesame seeds, and optional hot sauce.