Learn how to make cauliflower fried rice that skips the carbs but keeps all the flavor! Ready in 10 minutes and easy to customize!
Cauliflower is a wonder ingredient in the keto diet. It allowed me to lose weight while replicating some of my favorite recipes to make them keto-friendly.
I previously made cauliflower crust pizza, cauliflower mashed potatoes, and cauliflower tortillas. This time, I had my hands on cauliflower fried rice, and like always, it was no surprise that the recipe was as flavorful as regular fried rice but with fewer carbs.
What is cauliflower fried rice?
Cauliflower fried rice is a low-carb alternative to regular Chinese fried rice. You can enjoy the same flavor but with no guilt. It contains riced or grated cauliflower cooked with veggies with added spices to make it taste like original fried rice.
Like traditional fried rice, you’ll need just a handful of ingredients.
- Cauliflower. Grate the florets in a rice-like texture or get pre-riced cauliflower from the store.
- Olive oil. You can substitute it with any other neutral-flavored oil.
- Vegetables. We use onion, carrots, bell peppers, and frozen peas.
- Garlic and ginger. Ensure they are fresh and minced to add to fried rice.
- Salt. To taste.
- Soy sauce. You can replace it with tamari if you want a gluten-free recipe.
- Sesame oil. Optional; you can also skip it if you don’t like it.
How to make cauliflower fried rice
Cauliflower fried rice is easy to make: the only thing to remember is to defrost any frozen veggies so there is no excess moisture. Here’s the basic idea for how to make cauliflower rice (or see the recipe below for specifics):
- Rice the cauliflower: Start with grating the cauliflower florets with a shredding blade on the food processor into a rice-like texture.
- Sautee the vegetables: Add oil to a non-stick pan, then add onion, carrots, and red bell pepper. Sauté the veggies for 5-8 minutes or until soft. Mix in the garlic and ginger. Then, add riced cauliflower, soy sauce, frozen peas, and salt. Mix them well, cover, and cook for 3-5 minutes to make the veggies tender.
- Add egg: Next, make some space in the skillet by pushing the veggies to a side with the help of a spatula to scramble eggs in the middle. Add some oil to the middle of the skillet, crack the eggs and use the spatula to scramble them, and keep stirring until cooked.
- Combine the dish: Now, mix cooked cauliflower fried rice with scrambled eggs. Add seasonings, along with soy sauce.
Cauliflower rice variations
Like any good fried rice recipe, this one is easy to customize with different proteins or for different diet options:
- Chicken fried rice: Add 1/2 cup sliced chicken breast or chopped chicken thigh pieces.
- Kimchi fried rice: Drain 1/2 cup of your favorite kimchi and chop it finely.
- Shrimp fried rice: Fold through half a cup of uncooked and shelled shrimp.
- Pork fried rice: Dice one cup of ham or bacon and toss that through the rice at the end.
- Vegan fried rice: Skip the egg and crumble up a block of silken tofu.
Wondering what’s the best way to store cauliflower fried rice? Here are best practices for cauliflower rice storage:
- To store: Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator in air-tight containers for up to 3 days.
- To freeze: Place the cooked cauliflower fried rice in a container to freeze for 2-3 months.
- Reheating: Always reheat the rice in a non-stick pan until hot.
More cauliflower recipes to try
- Curried cauliflower
- Air fryer buffalo cauliflower
- Baked buffalo cauliflower
- Cauliflower potato salad
- Cauliflower mac and cheese
Frequently Asked Questions
If you leave the cauliflower rice on the pan for too long, it releases water and yield a watery fried rice.
Just like in regular fried rice, add lightly scrambled eggs into it.
There are just 4 grams of net carbs in this cauliflower fried rice recipe.
Cauliflower Fried Rice (10 minutes!)
- In a high speed blender or food processor, add your chopped cauliflower and pulse until a rice-like consistency. Set aside.
- In a large wok or frying pan, add your oil and place over medium heat. Once hot, add your onions and garlic and fry for 1-2 minutes, before adding your carrots, peppers, frozen peas, and riced cauliflower and cook for 3-4 minutes, until softened.
- Push the vegetables to one side and add the sesame oil then add the eggs and gently scramble them. Mix them through the vegetables.
- Add the soy sauce stir fry for 1-2 minutes, before removing the pan off the heat.