An easy recipe for the BEST baked tofu ever, which can be made grilled or in the oven! This simple baked tofu recipe includes an easy marinade and is the perfect vegan protein addition to any meal! Gluten Feee, low carb and sugar free.
Easy Baked Tofu Recipe
As someone who grew up with a half Asian background, eating tofu was a regular part of my diet for much of my life.
Sauteed in fried rice, roasted in spices and even tossed through a salad, adding tofu to my meals has been easy and delicious. Unfortunately, tofu tends to get a bad wrap. Some say it’s tasteless, others say it is difficult to make and some are just not a fan of its texture.
Be prepared to be proven wrong.
This recipe for baked tofu is a GAME CHANGER. It is hands down, the BEST way to eat tofu and it is so easy to do. It comes down to using the right kind of tofu and the right kind of marinade.
Types of tofu
Tofu can come in several varieties including soft tofu, firm tofu, and extra firm tofu.
For the best, crispy baked tofu, use either the firm tofu or the super firm tofu. These two varieties will ensure that the texture of your baked tofu is crispy and crunchy on the outside while being soft and fluffy on the inside.
How to bake tofu in the oven
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Line a large baking tray with parchment paper and set aside.
Step 2: Remove excess marinade from your tofu. Place your tofu on the lined pan in a single layer.
Step 3: Bake for 25-30 minutes, flipping the tofu halfway through, to ensure it is cooked both sides. Baked tofu is ready once golden brown and crispy on the outside.
Step 4: Serve immediately or allow to cool to enjoy later.
How long to cook baked tofu
Depending on how crispy you want your tofu to be, I recommend baking it for at least 25 minutes. Cook for an extra 5-10 minutes for extra crispy tofu.
Please note, oven models vary, and these cooking times are used as a reference.
How to bake crispy tofu on the stovetop
Step 1: Preheat a large non-stick pan on medium heat.
Step 2: Once hot, add the marinated tofu in a single layer and cook for 4-5 minutes, before flipping over and cooking the other side until golden brown and crispy.
Step 3: Serve immediately.
How long does baked tofu last
Baked tofu is versatile, and can easily keep for 2 weeks.
Storing baked tofu is best in the refrigerator, in a sealed container. It can be enjoyed cold (over salads or in sandwiches) or can easily be reheated in the microwave or stovetop.
Can you freeze tofu?
Freezing fresh uncooked tofu is not recommended. It will yield a plastic texture once thawed.
You can freeze cooked tofu, and this will keep for up to 1 month. Before eating, thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
The best simple tofu marinade
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- In a small bowl, add your dry ingredients and mix well.
- Add your sesame oil, tamari and gluten-free soy sauce and whisk very well, until fully combined.
- Cover over tofu immediately or refrigerate to use later.
How to marinate tofu
In a shallow container, add your chopped tofu. Cover your tofu in the homemade marinade and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or overnight.
More easy tofu recipes
Easy Baked Tofu Recipe (Vegan, Low Carb)
- Prepare your marinade. In a small mixing bowl, add your dry ingredients and mix well. Add your sesame oil, tamari and soy sauce and whisk very well. Refrigerate.
- Chop your tofu into bite-sized pieces. Place in a shallow container. Cover with your marinade and refrigerate for at least an hour, or overnight.
- Preheat your oven to 180C/350F.
- Line a large pan with parchment paper. Place tofu on it in an even layer and bake for 35-40 minutes, flipping once halfway through. Tofu is ready when crispy and golden on the outside.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately, or allow to cool completely, before refrigerating.