These easy keto cinnamon rolls are perfectly fluffy in the middle and require NO yeast to make! Ready in just 20 minutes, they make a fabulous low carb breakfast.
The Best Keto Cinnamon Rolls
Breakfasts that start off on a sweet note are always the best. Even those who follow a keto diet can partake, and our favorites include keto French toast and keto pancakes. Recently, we’ve added cinnamon rolls to the mix.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- No yeast. Traditional cinnamon rolls are made with yeast but not these ones. For those of you wary of using yeast, you have nothing to worry about!
- 2 grams of carbs. No fear of being kicked out of ketosis with these.
- Made with almond flour. My favorite keto flour to bake with, using almond flour guarantees fluffy and tender cinnamon rolls every single time.
- Perfect hot or room temperature. Enjoy these rolls fresh out of the oven or let the frosting firm up over them and enjoy at room temperature.
- Ready in 20 minutes. No resting time and no kneading is required- Simply prepare, roll, slice and bake!
What I love about this recipe is just how much they look and taste like real cinnamon rolls. Even those who don’t watch their carbs are obsessed with them!
Ingredients to make low carb cinnamon rolls
For the dough
- Almond flour– Blanched almond flour is a must, not almond meal. The blanched variety yields a lighter crumb and fluffier dough.
- Baking powder– The leavening agent used to give the rolls some rise and fluffiness.
- Sugar substitute– I used allulose, but erythritol works.
- Mozzarella cheese– Always use low moisture mozzarella cheese. This will make a more durable dough.
- Cream cheese– Full fat cream cheese from a block, not a spread. Be sure to use one that has also been softened to room temperature.
- Eggs– Room temperature eggs.
For the filling
- Butter– Salted and melted butter.
- Brown sugar substitute– A keto alternative to brown sugar.
- Cinnamon– The key ingredient to give these rolls the lovely cinnamon flavor.
- Cream cheese– Softened to room temperature.
- Powdered sugar substitute– Homemade keto powdered sugar.
- Butter– Salted butter that has been softened to room temperature.
- Milk– Optional, but only needed to thin out the frosting.
How to make keto cinnamon rolls
Step 1- Prep the ingredients
Start by whisking together the almond flour, baking powder, and sweetener in a small bowl and set aside. In a microwave-safe bowl, add the shredded mozzarella cheese and cream cheese and microwave in 20-second spurts until mostly melted, then whisk them both together until smooth.
Step 2- Make the dough
Next, transfer the melted cheeses into a food processor, add the eggs and the dry ingredients, and mix until the dough is smooth. Transfer the dough onto a flat kitchen surface and roll it out into a large, rectangular shape. Brush with the melted butter, then sprinkle with the brown sugar substitute and cinnamon. Roll the dough into a large log and, using a sharp knife, slice it into 12 pieces.
Step 3- Bake the cinnamon rolls
Now, transfer the rolls into a greased 8 x 13-inch baking dish. Bake the cinnamon rolls for around 20 minutes, or until the dough is cooked and the tops are lightly golden.
Step 4- Frost and serve
Finally, prepare the frosting by whisking everything together until the desired thickness is achieved. Spread over the tops of the still-warm cinnamon rolls, then serve immediately.
Can I make this overnight?
To make overnight cinnamon rolls, prepare the dough as instructed. After you have them prepped, cover the dish and place it in the refrigerator.
When ready to bake, let the dish sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
Tips to make the best recipe
- Do not over-bake the cinnamon rolls as they should be fluffy in the middle. If they feel soft in the middle, remove them from the oven!
- Using part skim low moisture mozzarella cheese in the dough helps keep it soft, instead of gummy or elastic.
- If you find the dough to be quite sticky, lightly oil your hands to make it easier to shape and roll it up.
Storing, freezing, and reheating instructions
Wondering what’s the best way to store leftover cinnamon rolls? Here are best practices:
- To store: Store leftovers in a sealable container, in the refrigerator. They will keep well for up to 5 days. Any longer and the glaze will seep into the rolls.
- To freeze: Place cooled cinnamon rolls in a ziplock bag and store them in the freezer for up to 2 months. If possible, keep them unfrosted.
- Reheating: For an instant hit, microwave the cinnamon rolls in 20-second spurts until warm.
More keto breakfast recipes to try
Frequently Asked Questions
A single Pillsbury cinnamon roll contains 24 grams of carbs and over 9 grams of sugar.
Cinnamon does not have any keto-approved or keto-friendly products. All of their cinnamon rolls and variations are extremely high in carbs, with most averaging around 75 grams of carbs per serving.
Keto Cinnamon Rolls in 1 Minute | No Yeast or Sugar
For the dough
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Line a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the almond flour, baking powder, and sugar. In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the mozzarella cheese and cream cheese and microwave in 20-second spurts until warm. Whisk together until combined and smooth.
- Transfer the melted cheese into a food processor, add the eggs and dry ingredients, and blend until the dough is smooth.
- Roll out the dough into a large rectangle. Brush the top with melted butter, then sprinkle with the brown sugar substitute and cinnamon. Roll the dough into a log. Using a sharp knife, slice off the uneven ends of the roll. Slice the log into 12 rolls. Place the rolls into the baking dish.
- Bake the cinnamon rolls for 20-25 minutes, or until golden and the dough is cooked.
- Remove the cinnamon rolls from the oven and frost them.
- To make the frosting, whisk together the cream cheese, butter, and powdered sugar. Add the milk, as needed, until thick and creamy.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.