This keto French toast is an EASY low carb breakfast made with just 6 ingredients! Ready in just 10 minutes, it is soft and creamy in the middle with a crunchy exterior! 4 grams net carbs per serving.
Keto French Toast
We take weekend breakfasts seriously in our household. We have a few keto favorites up our sleeve, including cinnamon rolls and classic bagels. When we want to go all out though, we love to prepare some keto French toast.
Let’s be real here. There are some foods that truly cannot be given a keto friendly makeover. For the longest time, I thought French toast fell into that category. After taste testing every low carb bread on the market and seeing how well they absorbed eggs, I can confidently say that you CAN enjoy French toast on a low carb diet.
Why you’ll love this keto French toast recipe-
- Simple ingredients. Just 6 simple ingredients are needed. No fancy sweeteners, flours, or grains.
- Made with real keto bread. You can’t have French toast without sliced bread, and this recipe uses just that. Either homemade or store bought keto bread works! I like Orweat bread as it reminds me of Texas toast, which is a staple!
- Ready in 10 minutes. From prep to plate, the entire recipe takes just 10 minutes to make. By the time you finish cleaning the mixing bowl, the keto toast will be ready.
- Freezer friendly! Okay, so this brings me back to my childhood, but you can freeze portions of the French toast for quick, grab-and-go breakfasts. I like to toast them in the mornings, cut them up like French toast sticks, then slather on the peanut butter!
What I love about this low carb French toast is that it tastes EXACTLY like your classic diner style or homemade French toast. The texture is like bread pudding- soft and creamy on the inside and slightly crunchy and crisp on the outside. Pair it with an iced coffee or cold brew for the ultimate breakfast of champions!
How do you make a keto French toast?
- Keto bread– Either homemade bread or you can use a thick, store-bought kind, like Aldi keto bread or Oroweat keto bread.
- Eggs– A must for any good French toast!
- Milk– I used unsweetened coconut milk, but any low carb milk works.
- Sugar free sweetener– I enjoy using keto brown sugar, but erythritol or monk fruit sweetener also work.
- Cinnamon– Just a pinch to add some flavor.
- Vanilla extract– Gives the keto toast the ultimate dessert for breakfast vibes!
- Butter- To fry everything together.
Start by whisking together the eggs, milk, sweetener, cinnamon, and vanilla extract until smooth and custard-like. Next, add the butter to a non-stick pan or skillet and place it over medium heat. Once hot, soak the bread in the egg mixture.
Now, cook the keto toast on the pan for 3-4 minutes, flipping halfway through. Cook the remaining bread, then serve immediately.
Carbs in French toast
Traditional French toast is very high in carbs, as their key ingredients are bread, sugar, and milk. A typical two toast serving contains around 95 grams of carbs, which would be almost three times the daily carb limit of anyone on a keto diet.
This keto French toast recipe has just 4 grams of net carbs. We calculated this using Oroweat keto bread and using keto maple syrup and keto powdered sugar as the toppings. If you use other kinds of bread or add more toppings, the carbs will be different.
Tips to make the best recipe
- Allow the bread to soak in the egg mixture for at least 15 seconds, so it has enough time to absorb it.
- For French toast sticks, slice the toast BEFORE dipping it in the egg custard and cooking them. This allows for maximum creaminess in the middle.
- For a richer and more decadent flavor, swap out the milk for equal parts heavy cream.
I prefer keeping my French toast simple with a drizzle of lemon juice and a powdered sugar substitute, but here are some other fun keto toppings to try.
- Low carb fruit– strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, and blackberries are all keto friendly fruit.
- Syrups and sauces– Maple syrup, chocolate syrup, caramel syrup, or even a simple syrup.
- Chocolate and candy– Chocolate chips, white chocolate, and candy.
- Classics– Powdered sugar, whipped cream or keto honey.
Storing, freezing, and reheating instructions
- To store: Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator, covered, for up to 5 days.
- To freeze: Place the cooled French toast in a ziplock bag and store them in the freezer for up to 2 months.
- Reheating: Either microwave the toast for 20-30 seconds or reheat on a heated non-stick pan.
More keto breakfast recipes to try
Frequently Asked Questions
Also known as a baguette. Unless you make your own low carb French bread at home, it is not suitable for a keto diet. A 4-inch slice has 36 grams of carbs.
Aldi keto bread, Oroweat keto bread, and Thin Slim foods are popular keto friendly breads that are easily available in grocery stores. Other kinds of breads that are suitable for a keto diet include buns, rolls, bagels, and hot dog buns.
Traditional French toast is VERY high in carbs (over 90 grams per serving) but this homemade version has just 4 grams net carbs.
Keto French Toast
- Separate the eight slices of bread and set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, sugar substitute, cinnamon, and vanilla extract until smooth and custard-like.
- Add butter to a non-stick pan and place it over medium heat. Dip the bread in the custard on both sides and let it soak for 15 seconds. Place it in the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes, flipping once.
- Serve immediately with your favorite toppings.