A delicious healthy flourless breakfast cake that has the taste of a cinnamon bun and loaded with delicious cinnamon flavor! Fluffy and filling on the inside and tender on the outside with a secretly healthy frosting, this cinnamon bun breakfast cake is vegan, gluten free, dairy free, sugar free and comes with a tested paleo and keto option!
Made with no flour, no eggs, and no grains, it’s made in one bowl and perfect for quick breakfast meal prep recipes.
Now, don’t let the word ‘cake’ put you off. This recipe is secretly healthy! It’s made with wholesome and healthy ingredients, and even has a guilt-free and protein-packed frosting on top!
Tender on the outside, moist and fluffy on the inside, the flavor reminds you of a cross between a warm cinnamon roll and a cinnamon muffin! For such a decadent tasting breakfast cake, you’ll be surprised that it is secretly low carb and sugar free!
Is it okay to eat cake for breakfast?
That is the life long debate, and I think it comes down to what ingredients you are using. My breakfast cake recipe fits the bill. It’s made with healthy, wholesome and heart-healthy ingredients, and also packs a protein punch.
It uses healthy fats, low carb flour blends and is 100% naturally sweetened!
Besides, even the scientists claim that eating dessert first thing in the morning is healthier for the body and the mind!
How to make a flourless cinnamon bun breakfast cake from scratch
The first step of this recipe is to combine all the dry ingredients and mix well. In a separate smaller bowl, you’ll want to whisk together the milk, flax eggs (or eggs!), before adding it into the dry mixture. Add the drippy and smooth almond butter (and syrup and applesauce for the paleo/keto option) and mix well. Then, you will bake the breakfast cake for either 25-30 minutes (vegan and eggless option) or 45-50 minutes (paleo, keto and gluten-free option) until it is golden brown on top and a skewer comes out clean from the center.
You’ll want to allow the cake to cool in the pan completely, before adding the optional frosting.
Leftover Cinnamon Bun Frosting? Top this Cinnamon Roll Mug Cake with it.
Tips for the BEST Cinnamon Breakfast Cake
- Do not overbake the cake, otherwise, it will dry out. Remember, the cake continues to cook as it cools down.
- Be wary of the different baking times. For the vegan/eggless option, it should take no longer than 30 minutes. For the paleo/keto/low carb option, no longer than 50 minutes.
- The cake MUST be cooled before frosting, or it will be too much like liquid/drippy.
- Do not substitute any of the ingredients in the low carb option- it will not turn out.
- This breakfast cake makes a FABULOUS grab-and-go meal prep breakfast idea. Bake up 2-3 batches at a time and freeze the slices up- Check out the tips below on freezing them!
Can this breakfast cake be made as cinnamon roll breakfast muffins?
If you don’t have a loaf or baking pan and want these as muffins, that can easily be done! Simply prepare the batter as directed and divide them amongst 12 muffin tins. The baking time will need to be adjusted.
- Vegan, Flourless and Gluten-Free option– Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Paleo, Keto, and Low carb option– Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
Storing Cinnamon Bun Breakfast Cake
The cinnamon bun breakfast cake MUST be stored in the fridge, otherwise, it will become rancid and spoil easily. Place the sliced and frosted cake in a sealed container. It will keep fresh for 5 days.
The breakfast cake is freezer friendly and can also be stored in the freezer. To freeze, wrap individual slices in parchment paper and place them in ziplock bags. Label them with the date 6 months in advance of the date it is baked.
To enjoy breakfast cake from the freezer, allow thawing at room temperature or in the fridge overnight.
Also try this 90 Second English Muffin recipe!
More healthy breakfasts that taste like dessert
- Blueberry Breakfast Cake
- Lemon Poppy Seed Breakfast Cake
- Pumpkin Breakfast Muffins
- Flourless Breakfast Cookies
- No Bake Breakfast Cookies
CINNAMON BUN BREAKFAST CAKE VIDEO (Flourless Version)
Healthy Cinnamon Bun Breakfast Cake
For the breakfast cake
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup sticky sweetener of choice can substitute for maple syrup or agave nectar
- 1/4 cup almond butter can substitute for coconut oil or cashew buttert
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs whisked lightly
- 1/4 cup hazelnuts/chopped nuts of choice optional
For the cinnamon bun protein frosting
For the cinnamon coconut butter frosting
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Grease a loaf pan or small baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients and mix well.
- In a small bowl, whisk the milk, vanilla extract, and egg/flax egg. Pour into the dry mixture. Add the almond butter (and syrup and applesauce for paleo option) and mix very well until a batter is formed.
- Transfer the batter to the loaf pan or baking dish. Bake for 25-30 minutes (PALEO Option- 45-50 minutes) or until golden brown on top and a toothpick comes on clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before serving or frosting, if desired.
To make the frostings (Except for the cream cheese one)
- Combine all the ingredients and using a tablespoon, add dairy free milk until a thick, firm batter is formed. For the cream cheese one, allow to sit at room temperature until it softens. Mix with granulated sweetener and cinnamon.