This keto cloud bread is fluffy, light, and easily customizable, you won’t believe it is low carb! Made with just 3 ingredients, it’s the perfect vehicle for your favorite toppings or fillings! 0 net carbs per serving.
Keto Cloud Bread
Before going keto, my biggest fear was that I’d have intense bread cravings. Growing up, bread was the staple food in my household. We’d have bread with our breakfast and it would always be served on the side of whatever meal was had for dinner. When I first moved out of home, I’m pretty sure 99% of my meals were toast.
Since doing keto, I’ve found plenty of bread alternatives and regularly enjoy it. However, I’ve recently tried experimenting with other variations. When I’m not making flatbread or tortillas, I’ve recently loved making cloud bread.
What is cloud bread?
Cloud bread is a combination of egg whites, yolks, and cream cheese, all whipped together and baked until golden. It’s basically zero carbs, making it the perfect keto alternative to bread. Also known as oopsie bread, it has recently gained popularity on Tiktok, with sweet and colorful variations created.
I’ve been meaning to share a keto cloud bread recipe for quite some time. Even before it took off on Tiktok, it has been an essential part of my keto meal prep! I’ve been using it as a toast substitute, and recently been making them into sandwiches! They need just 3 ingredients and minutes to prepare.
No flour, no yeast, and no grains are needed, but you’d never tell. The texture is light, airy, and fluffy in the middle. It’s very neutral flavored, making it the perfect vehicle for your favorite toppings or fillings.
Two of my friends who’ve just started a keto diet have been asking me for a bread alternative and now are HOOKED on this cloud bread- They can’t believe how easy it is to make!
How do you make keto cloud bread?
- Eggs– Room temperature eggs that have been separated.
- Cream cheese OR creme fraiche– Softened and full fat. Dairy free cream cheese can also be used.
- Cream of tartar– Optional, but gives the bread more stability and structure.
Start by adding the egg whites and cream of tartar into a large mixing bowl. Using a hand mixer, beat for 3-4 minutes, or until stiff peaks form. Next, add the cream cheese and egg yolks into a separate bowl and beat together until they are combined. Gently fold through the yolks/cream cheese mixture into the whites.
Now, divide the mixture into 8 portions. Place the portions of the mixture on two lined baking sheets, and bake for around 27-30 minutes, or until golden.
Can I make a keto version of the Tiktok cloud bread?
To make the viral Tiktok cloud bread, make the following substitutions-
- Omit the egg yolks and cream cheese.
- Add 2 1/2 tablespoons of allulose OR erythritol.
- Replace the cream of tartar with 1 tablespoon of cornstarch OR 1 teaspoon of xanthan gum. Even though cornstarch is not keto friendly, the amount used yields very little net carbs.
You can also add 1-2 drops of food coloring for some fun colors!
Tips to make the best 3 ingredient cloud bread
- Be sure there are no yolks or water in the egg whites, otherwise, they will not form stiff peaks.
- Do not overbeat the egg whites, or the cloud bread will not be fluffy once it has been baked.
- Oven makes and models differ, so keep an eye on the bread from the 25-minute mark. Once it is golden brown, it will be cooked.
- Use cloud bread as a toast substitute by spreading it with healthy Nutella or almond butter. You can also use it as sandwich bread, and load it with your favorite fillings.
While this oopsie bread tastes delicious on its own, here are some fun flavors for added variety.
- Cheese– Sprinkle 2-3 tablespoons of mozzarella or cheddar cheese on top of the cooked cloud bread. Place back in the oven for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Sesame– Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of sesame seeds over the mixture before baking.
- Italian– Add dried Italian mixed herbs and garlic powder.
- Everything– Fold through 1 tablespoon of everything but the bagel seasoning and 1/2 tablespoon on top of each portion of the cloud bread.
- Chocolate– Fold through 1/4 cup of cocoa powder and 2 tablespoons of keto powdered sugar into the cream cheese/egg yolk mixture.
Storing and freezing cloud bread
- To store: Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator, completely covered, for up to 5 days.
- To freeze: Place the cloud bread in a ziplock bag and store it in the freezer for up to 2 months.
- Reheating: If you have a thin toaster, you can toast it up or even heat it quickly in the air fryer.
More keto bread recipes to try
Keto Cloud Bread (Oopsie Bread)
- 6 large eggs separated and divides
- 1/2 cup cream cheese softened * See notes
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Preheat the oven to 140C/300F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside. In one mixing bowl, add the egg whites. In a separate bowl, add the egg yolks.
- Add the cream of tartar into the egg whites. Using a stick mixer, beat together until stiff peaks form and set that aside. Add the cream cheese into the egg yolks and beat that together until combined and smooth. Fold it through the egg white mixture.
- Form 8 portions of the cloud bread mixture. Place four portions onto each baking sheet and bake for 27-30 minutes, or until golden.
- Remove from the oven and let cool slightly, before serving.