These keto cheese sauce is so rich, smooth, and creamy, you won’t believe it needs just 4 ingredients! Ready in minutes, it’s perfect for nachos, mac and cheese, or even a warm dip. 2 grams net carbs per serving.
Keto Cheese Sauce
If there is one food that I could eat for the rest of my life, it would be cheese. Growing up, it was a staple in my household and I’m pretty sure I ate some form of it every single day. Whether it was in an omelet for breakfast, in a sandwich for lunch, or mixed through pasta for dinner, it had a very strong presence.
Since going keto, I’ve thanked my lucky stars that cheese is keto friendly. I’m also beyond thankful that I tolerate dairy very well, otherwise I’d be in for quite a lifestyle change. While my cheese consumption has definitely increased, I’ve tried to branch out in the ways i enjoy it. While I do it in staples like lasagnas and pizzas, my favorite way to use it is in a cheese sauce.
I’ve been meaning to share a keto cheese sauce recipe for quite some time. It’s perfect on its own, drizzled over pasta, for a keto mac and cheese, or even my favorite nachos! I love how it needs just 4 ingredients and is never gritty.
No eggs and no flour are needed, but you’d never tell. The texture is thick, rich, smooth, and extra creamy. It’s cheesy and slightly buttery, and easily customizable to flavor it in a plethora of ways.
I had some friends over for a Mexican night and served this cheese sauce over some nachos and they could NOT believe it was low carb- They thought it had to have some flour or grains mixed in!
How do you make a keto cheese sauce?
- Cream cheese– Full fat cream cheese that comes from a block, NOT from a spread. The latter often has stabilizers and water added to it to make it spreadable, which isn’t necessary for this recipe.
- Butter– Unsalted butter or dairy free butter.
- Heavy cream– Also known as thickened cream or double cream.
- Shredded cheese– I used cheddar cheese, but you can also use a more flavorful one, like Monterey Jack or American.
- Salt and pepper– To taste. If you use salted butter, omit the salt completely.
- Spices of choice– Nutmeg, cayenne pepper, or even smoked paprika are all fantastic flavor additions.
Start by chopping your cream cheese and butter into smaller pieces, so that they can melt easier. Next, add it to a saucepan, along with the heavy cream, and place it over low heat. Let the cream cheese and butter melt, before gently whisking it until smooth. Add the shredded cheese and spices and continue to whisk until all the cheese has melted. Remove the saucepan from the heat.
Now, transfer the cheese sauce into a mixing bowl and either use immediately or allow it to reach room temperature, before storing away.
Tips to make the best low carb cheese sauce
- Keep the heat on low and stir regularly. This ensures each element melts completely, and you won’t be left with any clumps or chunks throughout.
- When left unstirred, the sauce will achieve a slightly thin layer of film on top. Simply mix it several times and it should be back to smooth!
- For a nachos cheese sauce, use American cheese and add 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper to it, for some added kick.
Storing and freezing cheese sauce
- To store: Cheese sauce can be stored in the refrigerator, completely covered, for up to 1 week.
- To freeze: Place leftovers in a sealable container and store it in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- Reheating: Either microwave the sauce for 30-45 seconds or reheat in another small saucepan.
What to serve cheese sauce with
Keto Cheese Sauce
- 1 cup cream cheese chopped
- 1/4 cup butter chopped
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup shredded cheese cheddar or similar * See notes
- 1 teaspoon salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon pepper to taste
- Add the chopped cream cheese, butter, and heavy cream into a small saucepan and place over low heat. Once the cream cheese and butter begin to melt, gently whisk it until smooth. Add the shredded cheese, salt, and pepper, and gently whisk until the cheese has melted.
- Remove from the heat and transfer into a bowl and serve immediately, or allow it to reach room temperature.