Stuck on what to serve with your main course or low carb dinners? These keto friendly side dishes are your answer! Over 30 EASY and delicious keto side dish recipes that are simple to make, including the BEST side dish ever.
All good dinners MUST have a delicious side dish to accompany it.
This should be consistent with any diet out there, including a ketogenic one. There is a false assumption that side dishes are too carb heavy for a low carb diet, but that is far from the truth.
Some of the most delicious keto recipes are sides, as it is a way to showcase creativity with low carb vegetables and grains!
What sides can you eat on keto?
Where there are a plethora of side dishes to pair with your evening meal, the best ones are so good, you could eat them on their own. Our favorite is this creamy and cheesy baked Brussels sprouts with bacon, which even my non-keto friends adore. Here is how you make it.
- Butter– Unsalted butter, as there are plenty of other ingredients that will add plenty of salt.
- Onions – Red or white onions.
- Brussels sprouts– Halved and roughly trimmed.
- Salt and pepper– To taste.
- Heavy cream– Also known as double cream or thickened cream.
- Cheddar cheese– Freshly grated, not the pre-shredded kind.
- Bacon– Finely chopped.
Start by adding the butter into a non-stick skillet and placing it over medium heat. Once melted, add the onions/shallots and Brussels sprouts and cook for 10-12 minutes, until the Brussels sprouts are tender.
Next, remove the skillet off the heat and stir through the heavy cream until the vegetables are coated in it. Sprinkle over the shredded cheeses and chopped bacon.
Now, place the skillet in a preheated oven and bake for 15 minutes, until the cheese is bubbling and the bacon is crispy. Remove the skillet from the oven and serve immediately with your favorite main course or dinner.
Storing, freezing, and reheating instructions
- To store: Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator, covered, for up to five days.
- To freeze: Place the cooled side dish in an airtight container and store it in the freezer for up to two months.
- Reheating: Either microwave in 30-second spurts until warm or in a preheated oven.
What are low carb side dishes?
These are the BEST keto side dishes and recipe ideas to balance out your evening meal. Every single one of these side dishes pair perfectly with any kind of keto dinner or chicken recipe you have on hand. You’ve find veggie sides, salads, cheesy side sides, and even low carb alternatives to buns and rolls. Having plenty of variety will keep things interesting, and we have over 30 delicious options to try. Side dishes can sometimes be boring, but these all prove otherwise- They’ve been made thousands of times and have five star reviews!
Keto side dish recipes
Frequently Asked Questions
Carrots and potatoes are vegetables that are higher in carbs, and should be eaten in moderation. I prefer to skip carrots for side dishes and instead, use them for a keto carrot cake instead. As for potatoes, try keto potato salad or mashed potatoes– They taste just like the real deal!
Traditional white or brown rice is not keto friendly, but instead, try cauliflower rice.
30+ Easy Keto Side Dish Recipes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 small onions sliceds
- 2 lbs Brussels sprouts halved
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 5 slices bacon chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375F/190C.
- Add the butter into a non-stick skillet and place it over medium heat. Once hot, add the butter, onions, and Brussels sprouts and cook for 9-10 minutes, until tender. Season with salt and pepper.
- Take the skillet off the heat. Stir through the heavy cream then sprinkle the cheese and diced bacon over the top. Place it in the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbling and beginning to go golden brown.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and serve immediately with your favorite main course or dinner.