This sugar free ketchup is sweet, tangy, and tastes so good, you won’t miss the sugar! Keto friendly, low in carbs, and using just 3 ingredients.
Ketchup is truly the MVP of all condiments.
Growing up, I was that kind of kid that wouldn’t eat his dinner unless there was ketchup on the dining table.
To my narrow mind, if dinner wasn’t slathered in tomato ketchup, I wouldn’t find it palatable. Whether it be a quiche, some stuffed peppers, or even a lasagna (I know), it MUST be covered with ketchup.
Since cutting out sugar from my diet, I’ve skipped the high sugar condiment for a homemade sugar free ketchup!
Is ketchup low carb?
Traditional ketchup is not suitable for a keto diet, as it contains tons of sugar and high fructose corn syrup. Per one tablespoon serving, there are over 9 grams of sugar.
Luckily, this homemade sugar free ketchup recipe is a game changer. It looks and tastes like the real deal, and needs just 4 ingredients.
It’s low calorie and keto friendly, and per serving, there are ZERO grams of sugar.
Ingredients you’ll need
- Tomato paste. Not tomato sauce or passata! Tomato paste is super concentrated and gives plenty of tomato flavor, with no tomatoes needed.
- White vinegar. I used a combination of apple cider and white vinegar, so the apple flavor would not be overpowering.
- Sweetener of choice. Either keto brown sugar or a powdered sugar substitute. I prefer the former, as it gives the ketchup a more authentic flavor.
- Onion and garlic powder. A little of both for added flavor. Do not use onion salt and garlic salt, or the ketchup will be too salty!
- Water. To thin out the mixture and the ketchup.
How to make sugar free ketchup
Making keto ketchup is simple: just remember to keep a firm eye on the saucepan to ensure it doesn’t reach a boiling stage. Here’s the basic idea of making ketchup (or see the recipe below for specifics):
- Simmer: Start by mixing all your ingredients in a small saucepan. On medium heat, heat the mixture until it simmers. Once it has simmered, reduce to very low heat and stir regularly, for 10 minutes.
- Chill: Remove from the heat and let cool completely, to thicken.
Tips to make the best keto ketchup
- Be sure to taste test the ketchup while you are stirring it up. If it is too thick, you can add more water to thin it out. Also, if you prefer sweeter ketchup, add extra sweetener.
- Do not use stevia or stevia blends of sugar. They are renown for having a bitter flavor.
- Add other spices or herbs like oregano, cayenne pepper, or even red pepper flakes.
Wondering what’s the best way to store low carb ketchup? Here are best practices for condiment storage:
- Refrigerator: Leftovers must always be stored in the refrigerator, as it contains to added preservatives to keep it safe at room temperature. It will keep well for up to 1 month.
- Freezer: Place the ketchup in a freezer friendly container and store in the freezer for up to 2 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and give it a mix before enjoying it.
What to serve with ketchup
More sugar free condiments to try
Frequently Asked Questions
Homemade ketchup has nothing artificial in them. However, store bought sugarless ketchup does. They contain aspartame and sucralose.
There is less than a gram of carbs per serving.
Sugar Free Ketchup Recipe (Keto)
- In a small saucepan, add all your ingredients and mix until combined.
- On medium heat, warm up the saucepan and its contents. Once it begins to simmer, reduce the heat to low and stir constantly for 5 minutes. Taste the sauce and add either more sweetener or more salt, depending on taste.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and let cool completely.