This sugar free bbq sauce is sweet, tangy, and takes minutes to make! Using just a handful of ingredients, this keto and low carb sauce makes a fabulous condiment!
Barbecue sauce without the sugar? This sugar free barbecue sauce recipe is a winner.
Stop buying expensive store-bought sauces laden with tons of sugar and carbs and make your own from scratch!
Is bbq sauce keto friendly
Now traditional barbecue sauce is definitely not low carb. Per tablespoon, there are almost 10 grams of sugar. In fact, they contain more sugar than even ketchup does. While there are many sugar free sauces available on the market, it is so easy to make your own!
In my keto bbq sauce recipe, there are just 12 calories per serving and ZERO grams of sugar.
Sweet, tangy, and perfectly rich, you’ll be adding this to everything!
Ingredients you’ll need
A combination of sweet and tangy ingredients, this version uses a secret ingredient to give it that smoky flavor we love: liquid smoke! If you can’t find it in stores, that is okay. Here’s what you need to make this recipe:
- Tomato paste. A concentrated version of tomato sauce or passata. It is much thicker and has a more intense flavor. Only a small amount will be used and thinned out with water.
- Apple cider vinegar. Unlike my sugar free ketchup recipe, we will use strictly apple cider vinegar here. The subtle apple flavor is perfect for the barbecue flavor.
- Liquid smoke. A secret ingredient to give this sauce the more smoky bbq flavor. While relatively flavorless on its own, it intensifies once mixed with all the other ingredients.
- Brown sugar substitute. This special sugar has such a distinct flavor that is synonymous with any good bbq sauce. If you don’t have any of this, use a powdered sugar substitute.
- Garlic and onion powder. Adds extra flavor.
- Smoked paprika. Intensifies the smoky flavors of the sauce. Contrary to popular belief, smoked paprika is not spicy!
- Water. To thin everything out.
How to make sugar free bbq sauce
Add all your ingredients into a small saucepan and whisk well. On medium heat, heat it until it simmers. Reduce to very low, and mix for 4-5 minutes, until thick. Remove from the heat and let the sauce cool and thicken.
Tips to make the best keto bbq sauce
- The longer you simmer the sauce, the thicker it will be. If you’d prefer a thinner sauce, add extra water to it.
- Taste the barbecue sauce before you remove it from the heat. If it is too tangy, add a little extra sweetener. If it isn’t salty enough, add a dash more salt.
- For a spicy kick, add some cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes. Alternatively, you can even stir through some hot sauce or buffalo sauce after it has thickened up.
Recipe ideas using this sauce
Use this barbecue sauce as you would the traditional kind. Here are just a couple of ideas to get you started:
- BBQ chicken pizza. Prepare a keto pizza but omit the original sauce. Spread a generous layer of bbq sauce and top with cooked chicken breast, onions, and cheese and bake until cheese has melted.
- Breakfast wraps. Spread bbq sauce inside a keto tortilla and fill with scrambled eggs, bacon, and cheese.
- Veggie dipper. The perfect pairing with some buffalo baked cauliflower bites or even some twice cooked brussels sprouts.
- Salmon marinade. Add some of the sauce with some sweet chili salmon or pan seared salmon, for a smokey, sweet flavor.
More homemade condiments to try
Frequently Asked Questions
There are less than 1 gram of net carbs in homemade bbq sauce.
Sugar Free BBQ Sauce (Keto)
- In a small saucepan, add all your ingredients and mix well.
- On medium heat, heat up the saucepan until it begins to simmer. Once it begins to simmer, reduce to very low and stir for 4-5 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool completely, to thicken.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.