Making homemade keto mayonnaise could not be any easier than this! Just 4 ingredients and 2 minutes to make this creamy condiment that tastes BETTER than anything store bought!
It’s a proven fact that condiments and sauces made from scratch ALWAYS taste better than anything from the grocery store.
Sure, it’s convenient to buy them pre-made, but when something is already so simple and easy to make, you have no excuses.
For a long time, I used to always buy jars of mayonnaise but since started a keto diet, like many of my other favorite sauces, I make it from scratch.
Is mayo keto?
It’s easy to assume mayo to be naturally keto friendly, as it uses common low carb ingredients like egg yolks and oil. One of the most famous brands, Hellman’s, is keto friendly. However, many other commercial brands use tons of sugar and thickeners in them, which drive up the overall carb count.
While there are some keto friendly brands out there, making it yourself at home is so easy and so much more delicious. I used avocado oil, but any neutral oil works!
Why you’ll love this keto mayo recipe
- No sugar and no dairy needed. Traditional mayonnaise has both, but not this keto version!
- 4 Ingredients only. All you need are egg yolks, mustard, avocado oil, and lemon juice.
- Ready in 2 minutes. You could literally make a chicken or egg salad THEN make the mayonnaise from scratch, and lunch will be ready in no time.
- Easy to customize. Add extra spices or some hot sauce for a fiery hit!
What I love about this homemade mayo is just how versatile it is! Use it as a salad dressing, as a dip of chips, or spread it on some keto bread to make a sandwich. It is so thick and creamy, you’ll be eating it with a spoon.
- Egg yolks- Room temperature eggs are a must. Save the whites to make some meringue cookies!
- Dijon mustard- Use a good quality mustard, like the Maille brand.
- Avocado oil- A neutral flavored oil that works perfectly in a mayo recipe. You can also use safflower oil or olive oil.
- Lemon juice- Balances out the other ingredients and gives the mayo a subtle tang. You can also use white vinegar.
- Salt and pepper- To taste.
How to make keto mayonnaise
Start by adding the egg yolks and mustard into a mixing bowl and whisking together until combined and smooth. Next, slowly add the avocado oil, then the vinegar. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Now, transfer the homemade mayo into a sterilized jar or container and place it in the refrigerator for an hour to thicken.
Expert tips for success
- Add the avocado oil slowly, around one teaspoon at a time. This ensures that the yolks and oil do not separate, and form a uniform condiment.
- Your eggs and oil must be at room temperature, not pre-refrigerated.
- For a sweeter mayonnaise, you can add some keto powdered sugar to it. Only add it AFTER you’ve mixed all the other ingredients.
Storing and freezing instructions
- To store: Homemade mayo can be stored in the refrigerator, covered, for up to 5 days.
- To freeze: Place leftovers in a shallow container and store it in the freezer for up to 6 months.
How to use and serve this mayo
Some of our favorite keto salads that use this mayo include a broccoli salad, cauliflower potato salad, potato salad, coleslaw, and a kani salad.
You can also use it as a dipping sauce for chicken wings, keto French fries or the crusts from a keto pizza.
More keto condiments and sauces to try
Frequently Asked Questions
Mayo is fantastic for a low carb diet, as it is virtually carb free and works in tons of dishes.
Homemade mayo is always is the best option, as you know exactly what is in it. However, store-bought brands using whole eggs and oil with no added sugar are great alternatives.
Hellman’s mayo is keto friendly, as each tablespoon serving has no carbs.
Share this recipe on Pinterest
Love this Keto Mayonnaise recipe?
Share it with the world on Pinterest.
Homemade Keto Mayonnaise (4 ingredients!)
- 2 egg yolks room temperature
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 cup avocado oil * See notes
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the yolks and Dijon mustard until combined and smooth.
- Slowly add the oil in, one teaspoon at a time, while continuing to whisk the mixture. Once all the oil has been added in and the mixture is unform, whisk in the lemon juice. Add the salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer the mixture into a sealable container or sterilized jar. Refrigerate for an hour, to thicken.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.
Awesome recipes thank u Arman n thanks fr sharing
So welcome 🙂
Loving all your great recipes! I am concerned about using raw eggs in
the Mayo.. are there any substitutes
like plain low-fat yogurt and mustard
yellow coloring? Thanks
I haven’t tried but feel free to experiment and see.
This looks great! Question: how much is a single serving?
A heaped tablespoon (20 mls)
Can I use an emulsion blender? I don’t have a whisk.
You can just use a fork, a blender would make it a little too thin.