These keto meringue cookies are a sugar free twist on the classic meringue! Made with just 3 ingredients, they are a fabulous low carb way to satisfy the sweet tooth! 1 gram net carbs per cookie.
Keto Meringue Cookies
When it comes to simple keto cookies, my favorites to make are peanut butter cookies, almond butter cookies, and these 3 ingredient meringue cookies.
I’m someone that always feels the need to keep cookies in the house. I tend to get the cookie craving at the most random of times. Seeing as I’m the self-proclaimed keto dessert king, I obviously NEVER buy store bought cookies. While I typically stick to classics like chocolate chip or double chocolate, I’ve recently been digging all things meringue.
I’ve always loved meringue cookies, ever since I was a kid. As someone who loves textures, meringue cookies ticked the boxes. You put one in your mouth and it melts instantly, rewarding you with a sweet flavor! Obviously, making a sugar free version was on my radar!
Now, these meringue cookies may look fancy, but they are one of the most foolproof cookies you will EVER make. You only need 3 simple ingredients and a large mixing bowl to make!
No sugar, no dairy, and no butter needed, but you’d never tell. The texture is crisp and tender on the outside, but soft and almost gooey in the middle. They are sweet and if using the vanilla extract, give a lovely vanilla flavor.
I’ve loved making a big batch of them and having a few with my mid-morning coffee or when the evening sweet tooth strikes! As someone who grew up eating meringue, you won’t believe these are low carb- They taste just like the original and MELT in your mouth!
How do you make sugar free meringue cookies?
- Egg whites– Room temperature egg whites, and NOT from a carton. I found carton egg whites somehow lose their stability, and the final cookies came out deflated.
- Sugar free powdered sugar– Also known as keto powdered sugar, it gives the meringue cookies a lighter texture, instead of a grainy one.
- Cream of tartar– Helps the egg whites form stiff peaks and maintain their shape.
- Vanilla extract- Optional, but gives a fabulous vanilla flavor.
In a large mixing bowl, beat together your egg whites until foamy. Add the cream of tartar and beat together, until soft peaks form. Add the powdered sweetener, one tablespoon at a time, until stiff peaks form. Transfer the mixture into a piping bag.
Pipe the meringue onto a lined baking sheet, around an inch apart. If desired, use a fine point tip to create a pattern finish. Bake for around 40 minutes, before turning off the oven and keeping the meringue cookies in the oven for a further hour.
Remove from the oven and let the meringue cookies sit at room temperature for 10 minutes, before enjoying it.
Tips to make the best meringue cookies
- Use a star point tip or patterned tip, for decorative meringue cookies.
- Ensure there is no moisture in your mixing bowl. Even a drop of liquid can affect the overall texture of the meringue.
- Oven makes and models differ, so your meringues may take a little longer to bake.
- Be careful when separating your yolks from the whites. Even a tiny bit of yolk can cause the mixture to deflate.
While these meringue cookies taste delicious on their own, you can flavor them in a plethora of ways.
- Lemon– Add 1/4 teaspoon lemon extract and 2 tablespoons lemon rind to the meringue.
- Lavender– Add 1/4 teaspoon dried lavender.
- Peppermint– Fold through 1-2 drops peppermint extract.
- Strawberry– Add 1/2 teaspoon strawberry extract.
- Chocolate- Add 1/2 teaspoon chocolate extract or 2 tablespoons cocoa powder.
How to store keto meringue cookies
- To store: Meringue can be stored at room temperature, in a sealed container, for up to 4 weeks.
- To freeze: Place the meringue cookies in a ziplock bag and store it in the freezer for up to 6 months. Be sure that the bag is sealed completely, as even a drop of ice or liquid on the cookies will cause them to soften quickly.
More keto cookie recipes to try
- Peanut butter cookies
- Almond butter cookies
- White chocolate macadamia nut cookies
- Gingerbread Cookies
- Sugar Cookies
Keto Meringue Cookies
- 2 large egg whites room temperature eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup sugar free powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract optional
- Preheat the oven to 110C/220F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add the egg whites and beat together until frothy. Add the cream of tartar and beat until soft peaks form. Add the powdered sugar in, one tablespoon at a time, until stiff peaks form. Transfer the mixture into a piping bag with a star point tip attached.
- Pipe out tablespoon portions of meringue onto on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 45 minutes.
- Turn the oven off and slightly open the oven door. Let the meringue cookies cool in there for an hour. After an hour, remove from the oven and let sit at room temperature until cooled.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.
Fun, easy, gratifying!
These are amazing! And with a hand mixer, so easy!
I didn’t have powdered sweetener so I used monk fruit, they tuned out great; I’ve made them four times!
These are my favourite cookies, highly recommend.
These are the holy grail for a keto lifestle. Just one is absolutely satisfying and my teenage daughter who loves meringue cookies, told me they actually taste better than ones made with real sugar!
I added a pinch of Redmonds Real Salt to cut the sweetness a smidgen.
Thank you for this recipe. Our household is thrilled!!!