This keto lemon meringue pie is a gooey and creamy lemon filling covered with a delicious meringue! No sugar and no grains needed, it’s a simple dessert made with just 4 ingredients! 3 grams net carbs per serving.
Keto Lemon Meringue Pie
Growing up, mom would make a plethora of lemon desserts. A big reason for this was the glorious lemon tree we had in our backyard. Every weekend, my mom would put her kitchen creativity to the test and whip up plenty of delicious desserts all based on the humble lemon.
Out of all my lemon desserts, my favorite would have to be the lemon meringue pie. This was my mom’s specialty, and I LIVED for the weekends when she would whip one up. When I first moved out of home, I begged her for the recipe. I recently shared a vegan version of it but was determined to finally share a foolproof keto lemon pie!
I’ve been meaning to share a keto lemon meringue pie recipe for quite some time. It’s what I like to call my cheats lemon pie, as it only needs 4 ingredients…if you’ve prepared the crust and lemon curd in advance. Now, this pie may look incredibly fancy but I promise you, it is so easy to put together!
No sugar and no grains are needed, but you’d never tell. The texture is a gooey and creamy lemon filling, topped with a fluffy and firm meringue topping! It’s sweet and with a lovely lemon flavor, without being overpowering!
My friends love giving me all their leftover lemons because they know I’ll whip one of these pies up- No one believes me when I tell them it is low carb!
How do you make a keto lemon pie?
- Pie crust– Any 9-inch pre-made pie crust can be used, or a homemade almond flour one. I made this using a graham cracker crust, to avoid the baking factor altogether.
- Lemon curd– Homemade keto lemon curd, which you can prepare in advance.
- Egg whites– Room temperature egg whites, without any of the yolk intact. Do not use carton egg whites, as the whites will not form stiff peaks.
- Cream of tartar– Optional, but helps the meringue hold its shape.
- Keto powdered sugar– Save yourself spending tons of money and make your own.
Start by preparing your pie crust and lemon curd as instructed. Once the pie crust has set, spread a thick and generous amount of lemon curd in it, filling the crust approximately 2/3 of the way through. Place the pie in the refrigerator while you prepare the meringue topping.
In a large mixing bowl, add your egg whites and beat until stiff peaks form. Slowly add the powdered sweetener and cream of tartar (if using it), until thick and glossy.
Now, transfer the meringue topping over the top of the pie. Place in a preheated oven and bake at 180C/350F for 5-7 minutes, until golden on top.
Tips to make the best sugar free lemon meringue pie
- Do not overfill the pie crust with too much lemon curd, to ensure that there is plenty of room for the meringue topping.
- If you’d like a thicker and more dense crust, you can pre-bake it for 15 minutes, before letting it cool completely, then add the rest of the toppings.
- For a lemon pie, omit the meringue topping and replace it with keto whipped cream.
Storing and freezing lemon meringue pie
- To store: Lemon meringue pie should always be stored in the refrigerator, covered. The pie will keep well for up to 2 weeks.
- To freeze: Place slices of the pie in a shallow container and store them in the freezer for up to 6 months.
More keto dessert recipes to try
Keto Lemon Meringue Pie
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Prepare your pie crust and lemon curd as directed.
- Spread your lemon curd into the pie crust until 2/3 full. In a large mixing bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Slowly add the powdered sweetener and cream or tartar, until thick and fluffy.
- Gently transfer the meringue topping over the pie and place in the oven for 5-7 minutes, until golden brown on top.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.