This keto Boston cream pie is a moist and fluffy cake layered with a low carb custard. Made with just 8 ingredients, it’s an elegant dessert that is sure to impress! 3 grams net carbs per serving.
Keto Boston Cream Pie
One of my favorite things to do when traveling is trying out local desserts. I love seeing what certain countries or regions favor, and do my very best to have it at least once during my trip. When I really enjoy a dessert, I often come back home and try to replicate it. During my recent trip to America, I was fortunate to try the classic Boston cream pie.
What is a Boston cream pie?
A Boston cream pie, contrary to its name, is not actually a pie. It’s a vanilla or yellow based cake, filled with custard cream and topped with chocolate frosting. It’s a popular dessert in America, and one of the very first desserts I gave a keto makeover to.
I’ve been meaning to share a keto Boston cream pie recipe for quite some time, It’s so easy to make and I love using my keto custard as the filling, as it reminds me so much of a pastry cream! Now, this pie may look incredibly fancy but I promise you, it is SO easy to make.
No sugar and no grains are needed, but you’d never tell. The texture of the cake layer is fluffy and moist, and the filling is gooey and creamy. It’s sweet and with a lovely custard flavor, with hints of chocolate from the topping.
I had some friends over for dinner the other night and served them this pie for dessert and NO ONE believed me when I said that it was low carb- They thought I bought it from a bakery!
How do you make a keto Boston cream pie?
- Eggs– Room temperature eggs.
- Coconut oil– Refined coconut oil, so there is no coconut flavor. You want the coconut oil to be melted and measured in a liquid state.
- Vanilla extract– A must for any good yellow cake.
- Granulated sweetener of choice– I used erythritol, but monk fruit sweetener can also be used.
- Almond flour– Blanched almond flour, not almond meal.
- Baking powder– Gives the cake a little rise and stability.
- Keto custard– Homemade keto custard blended to form a mock pastry cream. Make a double batch.
- Chocolate frosting– To glaze the cake with. I used homemade keto frosting.
Start by whisking together your eggs, coconut oil, vanilla extract, and sweetener, until glossy and combined. Next, gently add in the dry ingredients and mix until combined. Pour the batter into two, greased 8-inch cake pans and bake for 25-27 minutes, or until a skewer comes out mostly clean. Remove the cakes from the oven and let the cakes cool completely.
Now, prepare your keto custard and let it cool. Once cooled, use a hand mixer and beat it until it becomes extra smooth. Place the first layer of the cake onto a flat surface and spread the custard all over the top of it. Place the second cake on top, before adding the chocolate frosting. Refrigerate the cake for 3o minutes, before serving.
Tips to make the best low carb Boston cream pie
- If you don’t want to make the keto custard, you can use any vanilla frosting of choice. Just be sure that it is extra creamy and fluffy.
- Avoid overbaking the cakes, as they continue to cook as they are cooling down.
- You can replace the coconut oil with melted butter if you prefer.
Storing and freezing the almond flour Boston cream pie
- To store: The cake should be stored in the refrigerator, covered. It will keep well for up to 1 week.
- To freeze: Place slices of the cake in a sealable container and store in the freezer for up to 6 months.
More keto cake recipes to try
Keto Boston Cream Pie
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Grease two 8-inch cake pans and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, coconut oil, granulated sweetener, and vanilla extract until glossy and smooth. Gently fold through the dry ingredients until completely combined.
- Distribute the cake batter evenly amongst the two cake pans. Bake the cakes for 25-27 minutes, or until a skewer comes out mostly clean.
- Remove the cakes from the oven and let cool completely. While it is cooling prepare the keto custard.
- Once the custard is set, use a hand mixer to blend it until smooth. Once smooth, layer the cake. Place the first cake on a flat surface and spread the custard all over it. Add the second layer of cake and spread with the chocolate frosting. Refrigerate the cake for 30 minutes, to firm up.