This keto custard is a smooth and creamy baked dessert full of vanilla flavor! Made with just 4 ingredients, it’s ready in under 30 minutes! 2 grams net carbs.
Keto Custard Recipe
Growing up, my mom never really got onto the baking trend. While other moms were making muffins and cookies every week, mine would be making more traditional desserts. Every weekend, my sister and I would look forward to various fruit crumbles, fruit pies, or the occasional fudge pudding cake (my downfall!). However, it was always the accompanying side dish that made me swoon- her egg custard.
I’ve been wanting to share a keto egg custard recipe for quite some time now. I never knew how simple it was to make my mom’s classic custard using low carb ingredients. Essentially, all I had to do was experiment with some different keto sweeteners to find one was best!
The texture is smooth, thick, and creamy, and the taaste is sweet and with a hint of vanilla, with NO eggy flavor whatsosever.
While many often serve custard as a sauce or side to some sticky pudding or a molten lava cake, I love how this recipe is baked, making it a perfectly portioned dessert! I served this at a dinner a few weeks ago and NO ONE could tell that it was made without any sugar or thickeners- it tasted like any good custard out there!
How do you make a keto egg custard?
- Eggs– Room temperature eggs, so the baking time is even.
- Heavy cream– Also known as double cream or thickened cream. Like the eggs, it’s best for this to be room temperature.
- Granulated sweetener of choice– Either monk fruit sweetener or erythritol can be used.
- Salt– Just a pinch to bring out the sweetness.
- Vanilla extract– Gives a light vanilla flavor.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk your eggs well, so the whites and yolks are well mixed. Add in the rest of your ingredients and whisk very well, until smooth and combined. Now, carefully distribute the custard mixture amongst 4 large ramekins and place them in a large baking dish.
Now, fill a kettle with water and bring to a boil. Once boiled, pour the boiling water into the baking dish, until an inch of water remains. Place the baking dish in the oven and bake the custard for around 30 minutes, or until the center is done. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly, or allow to cool completely, if you’d prefer a thicker and cooled custard.
Tips to make the best low carb custard
- Your custard mixture should be smooth before you pour it into ramekins. If you’d like to be extra cautious, feel free to use a stick or hand mixer.
- Feel free to add your favorite spices or extracts, like cinnamon or rose water.
- Serve custard with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or coconut ice cream for a fancy keto dessert.
Storing and freezing custard
- To store: Custard should always be stored in the refrigerator, in a sealed container. It will keep fresh for up to 2 weeks. I recommend you let it sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving.
- To freeze: Place individual portions of custard in freezer friendly containers and store in the freezer for up to 6 months. Thaw them overnight in the refrigerator before eating.
More easy keto desserts to try
Easy Keto Custard Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Grease four 2 or 3 inch ovenproof ramekins and place them in a large baking dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together all your ingredients, until smooth and combined. Transfer the mixture amongst the four ramekins.
- Boil a kettle or bring 2-4 cups of water to the boil. Pour enough boiling water into the baking dish until the ramekins are submerged in an inch of water.
- Place the baking dish in the oven and bake the custard for around 30 minutes, until firm on top.
- Remove from the oven and either enjoy warm or all to cool completely. Once cooled, you can refrigerate it until chilled.