This keto Eton Mess is a low carb and sugar free take on the classic English dessert! Simple ingredients and easy to prep, this is a no bake keto dessert sure to impress! 2 grams net carbs per serving.
Keto Eton Mess
It’s no secret that growing up, chocolate desserts were VERY rare. I’m not sure if my mom had a vendetta against chocolate or she assumed it was the food of the devil, but it was pretty much non-existent. That’s not to say that she didn’t make desserts though- quite the contrary! Mom is a fabulous cook and would often make traditional British classics. It stems from her time living in London, and you can tell! If she isn’t making a sticky toffee pudding or a banoffee pie, she’s making us a simple Eton mess!
What is an Eton Mess?
An Eton Mess is a simple and classic British dessert made of meringue, whipped cream, and strawberries all mixed together. It’s often served during the holiday season, but also a popular no bake treat.
Now, all I really needed to do was use keto versions of the meringue and whipped cream, and voila- Just like the classic! If you love textures, this is your kind of dessert. It’s smooth, creamy, with bits of strawberry and tender meringue throughout. It’s sweet and slightly tart from the strawberries, without being overpowering!
I obviously had to serve this to my mom (who claims to make the best Eton Mess!) and she could NOT believe that it was low carb- It tasted just like the original!
How do you make a low carb Eton Mess?
- Meringue– Homemade keto meringue cookies, that will be roughly crushed for this dessert.
- Strawberries and Raspberries– The strawberries will blended to create a ‘sauce’ to swirl with the whipped cream, while the raspberries will be kept whole. Feel free to use all strawberry or all raspberry, if preferred.
- Whipped cream– The key ingredient! Nothing beats some keto whipped cream!
Start by preparing your meringue and letting them cool completely. Once they are cool, crush them up.
Now, place half the strawberries into a high speed blender and blend until smooth. In a large mixing bowl, add your whipped cream, 3/4 of the crushed meringue, sliced strawberries, and mix well. Stir through the strawberry sauce. Finally, distribute the mixture amongst four large glasses or serving bowls. Top with the remaining crushed meringues.
Can I make this dairy free?
If you’d like to make this a vegan panna cotta, use vegan meringue and a vegan whipped cream (or coconut whipped cream).
Can I prepare this in advance?
Yes! If you are like me, you like to prepare desserts before a party or a gathering in advance. This Eton mess is the perfect dessert to do so.
All you’ll need to do is have your meringue prepped, your whipped cream prepped (and kept chilled in the refrigerator), and your strawberries sliced. An hour before serving, blend the strawberries, and put everything together. As the cream has already been chilled, you won’t need to refrigerate it once more, but serve it immediately!
How do you store an Eton mess?
Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator, covered, for up to 3 days. Any longer and the meringue will soften up too much.
Do not freeze this dessert, otherwise, it will be crumbly once it has been defrosted.
More easy keto dessert recipes to try
Keto Eton Mess Recipe
- In a small bowl, add your meringue cookies and roughly crush them. Set aside.
- In a high speed blender or food processor, add half your strawberries and blend until smooth.
- In a large mixing bowl, add your whipped cream, 3/4 of the crushed meringue cookies, and the sliced strawberries. Fold through the pureed strawberries until combined.
- Transfer the Eton mess mixture amongst 6 large glasses or serving dishes. Top with remaining crushed meringue and serve.