This keto apple pie is a low carb and apple-free version of the cozy dessert! Made with simple ingredients, it’s an elegant dessert that is sure to impress! 3 grams net carbs per serving.
Keto Apple Pie
One of my favorite things to do is to give low carb makeovers for my favorite desserts. There’s nothing more exciting than being able to replicate one of them and make it taste exactly like its inspiration, if not better.
Over the past few months, I’ve been experimenting with apple desserts. I’ve been using chayote squash to replace apples in all my favorite desserts, and after my keto apple crisp, I had to try something new. As someone who loves a good apple pie, that was my next endeavor!
I’ve been meaning to share a keto apple pie recipe for quite some time. It’s been my go-to dessert whenever I have friends over for dinner and everyone BEGS me for the recipe afterward! Now, this mock apple pie may look incredibly fancy but I promise you, it is so easy to make.
No apples and no sugar are needed, but you’d never tell. The texture of the filling is gooey and comforting, and the crumb topping is crisp and buttery. It’s sweet and tastes like any good apple pie, you won’t be able to stop at one slice!
I had some friends over for dinner the other night and served this pie and dessert and NO ONE believed me when I told them there was no apples in it- They thought they could taste it!
Ingredients to make a keto apple pie
For the filling
- Chayote squash– A fabulous low carb vegetable that mimics the texture of apples. Once mixed with the other filling ingredients, you’ll never be able to tell the difference!
- Butter– Melted and unsalted butter. Dairy free butter can also be used.
- Lemon juice– To balance out the sweetness and to ensure the squash doesn’t become too soft.
- Granulated sweetener of choice– Allulose, monk fruit sweetener, or erythritol.
- Coconut flour– To thicken the filling.
- Cinnamon– Gives the pie a very subtle cinnamon flavor.
- Apple extract– Optional, but gives a light apple flavor throughout.
For the crumble topping
- Almonds– Unsalted almonds that have been chopped very finely.
- Almond flour– Blanched almond flour is preferred, but you can use almond meal if that is all you have on hand.
- Coconut oil– Melted and refined.
- Shredded coconut– The unsweetened variety.
- Keto brown sugar– A fantastic sugar free alternative to brown sugar. Erythritol can be substituted for this.
How do you make a low carb apple pie?
Start by preparing your pie crust or using a store bought crust. In a large mixing bowl, add your filling ingredients and mix until combined. In a separate bowl, add the crumble ingredients and mix until combined. Next, transfer the filling into the prepared pie crust and bake at 180C/350F for 20 minutes.
Now, remove the pie from the oven and sprinkle the crumble topping all over it. Place back in the oven and bake for a further 15-20 minutes, or until the crumb topping has become golden brown. Remove the pie from the oven and let sit for 5 minutes, before serving.
Tips to make the best mock apple pie
- Be sure to chop your chayote squash into bite sized pieces. You can remove the skins or keep them on, there is no real difference.
- If you can’t find chayote squash, you can also use zucchini or yellow squash.
- Serve this keto apple pie with a scoop of keto ice cream and keto caramel for the ultimate indulgent dessert.
Storing and freezing apple pie
- To store: Apple pie must always be stored in the refrigerator, covered. It will keep well for up to 2 weeks.
- To freeze: Place leftovers in a sealable container and store them in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- Reheating: Either microwave the pie for 30 seconds or heat in the oven at 180C/350F for 5-6 minutes, until warm.
More keto dessert recipes to try
Keto Apple Pie
For the filling
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Prepare a keto pie crust or use a store bought pie crust.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the chopped apples, butter, lemon juice, sweetener, flour, and cinnamon, and apple extract and mix well, until combined. In a separate bowl, mix your crumble topping together.
- Transfer the apple pie filling into the pie crust. Bake the pie for 20 minutes, before removing it from the oven. Top with the crumb topping and bake for a further 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove the pie from the oven and let sit for 5 minutes, before serving.