This Keto Pumpkin Pie is a buttery, flaky crust with a smooth and creamy pumpkin filling! It’s a low carb and sugar free twist on the Fall dessert, that uses less than 7 ingredients!
It wasn’t until I ventured to America that I tried my first pumpkin pie, and I must say…as cliche as it sounds, it was love at first bite. A buttery and flaky pie crust with a sweet, cinnamon-spiced pumpkin filling, that had the texture of mousse. I brought this Fall dessert staple back to Australia, and it has been my go-to holiday dessert ever since, but with a keto twist!
Is Pumpkin Pie Keto?
Traditional pumpkin pie is generally made with sugar and thickeners and contains a crust made of wheat flour. Because of that, classic pumpkin pie isn’t keto friendly or low in carbs.
Comparatively, the carbs in a classic pumpkin pie are around 35-40 grams per slice, depending on the size.
In my keto pumpkin pie recipe, each slice yields a mere 3 grams net carbs!
Bonus? This delicious pie has no dairy, so if you follow a gluten free or vegan diet, your bases are covered!
How do you make a keto pumpkin pie
- Pie Crust– I used a homemade coconut flour crust, the same in my quiche recipe. The only change was to add some sugar free powdered sugar to it.
- Pumpkin puree– Unsweetened pumpkin puree, not pumpkin pie filling. You can use canned pumpkin pie, or even make your own!
- Milk of choice– Any milk will work. I used unsweetened almond milk, but coconut milk or cashew milk can all be used too.
- Cinnamon and Nutmeg– Add some delicious warm spices, perfect for Fall!
- Keto maple syrup– A sugar free and keto version of maple syrup. Do not use standard sugar free syrup, or it won’t turn out well at all. If you can tolerate some natural sweetness, you can use traditional maple syrup.
- Arrowroot powder– While arrowroot powder on its own is not keto friendly, the amount used to thicken the filling is so negligible, and will yield very little extra carbs.
Start by preparing your crust of choice, or use a store bought crust. You’ll then prepare the pumpkin pie filling, by adding all the ingredients into a small saucepan. Once it begins to simmer, gently whisk it, for the arrowroot powder to dissolve. Remove from the heat and place in a large mixing bowl. Using a stand mixer, blend until smooth and creamy. Let cool slightly, before transfer to the pie crust. Bake for 35-40 minutes at 180C/350F, until the pastry has become golden brown. Let cool at room temperature, before refrigerating for the filling to firm up.
Can I use a store bought pie crust?
Yes, if you’d prefer to use a pre-made crust, you may use that instead. Be sure that it is a 9-inch pie crust and one that suits your dietary preferences.
Can I make a crustless pumpkin pie?
To make a keto crustless pumpkin pie, simply omit the crust and pour the filling into a greased 9-inch pie pan or a square pan.
I recommend covering the bottom of the pan with tin foil and allow 1-2 inches overhanging from either side. Once the pumpkin pie has cooled, you can carefully lift it out and slice it as bars or crustless slices.
Tips to make the best low carb pumpkin pie
- Be sure to use a stick mixer or even a food processor to mix the pumpkin pie filling after it is taken off the stovetop. This ensures the filling is void of any clumps and bakes consistently.
- Let the pie cool at room temperature, before refrigerating, to ensure that the filling can set nicely.
- If you are serving this pie at an event or special occasion, you can prepare it up to 5 days in advance. Simple remove it from the refrigerator 30 minutes before serving.
- Dress up the pie with some whipped cream or some vanilla ice cream or coconut ice cream!
Storing and Freezing Pumpkin Pie
- To store: Pumpkin pie should always be stored in the refrigerator, completely covered. It will keep well for up to 2 weeks.
- To freeze: You can either freeze the pie as a whole pie or in individual slices. Keep it in a freezer friendly container and store it in the freezer for up to 6 months. Thaw at room temperature, or in the refrigerator overnight.
More Keto Pie recipes you’ll enjoy
Keto Pumpkin Pie (Vegan)
For the crust
For the pie crust
- Grease a 9-inch pie pan with oil and set aside.
- In a high speed blender or food processor, add all your ingredients and blend until combined and a crumbly dough remains.
- Using your hands, form a ball of dough and gently knead it until smooth. Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough until it is around half an inch thick. Transfer the dough onto the greased pie pan and gently press into place. If the dough starts to crumble, gently press it around the pie pan. Decorate the sides with a fork. Refrigerate.
For the pumpkin pie filling
- Place your pumpkin puree, milk, syrup, cinnamon and arrowroot powder in a small saucepan, and stir well, until combined. Turn the heat up to medium, and stir continuously, until it thickens and begins to simmer.
- Remove from the heat and transfer the filling into a large mixing bowl. Let cool for 2 minutes, before using a stick blender to blend well, until smooth and creamy. Let cool for 5 minutes.
Assembling and baking the pie
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F.
- Transfer the pumpkin pie filling into the pie crust. Bake the pumpkin pie for 35-40 minutes, until the crust is golden.
- Remove the pie from the oven and let cool at room temperature completely. Once cool, refrigerate for the filling to firm up.