This keto blueberry pie is a gooey blueberry filling all covered in a flaky and buttery low carb crust! Made with simple ingredients, this pie is easy to put together and is sure to impress! 4 grams net carbs per serving.
Keto Blueberry Pie
Growing up, my mom would make all our desserts from scratch. Every weekend, my sister and I would look forward to a homemade dessert that mom would spend her afternoon making. Weekend dinners would always end on a sweet note and they were something we’d look forward to.
While my mom was great at making crumbles and tarts, my favorite thing she’d make was her blueberry pie. She’d start prepping the crust in the morning and have it all put together by the time the last dinner plate has been cleaned up. When I first moved out of home, I begged her for the recipe and soon made a vegan version of it myself. Since going low carb, I was SET on making my own low carb version!
I’ve been meaning to share a keto blueberry pie recipe for quite some time. It’s a fabulous dessert that is actually much easier to make than you may think! It uses simple ingredients and the pie crust is pretty much foolproof!
Now, this pie may look incredibly fancy, but I promise you, it is one of the easiest pies you’ll ever make! No eggs and no sugar are needed, but you’d never tell. The texture of the filling is gooey and thick, and the crust is buttery and flaky! It’s sweet and full of blueberry flavor, and perfect on its own or with some ice cream!
I had some friends over for dinner the other night and shared this pie for dessert and NO ONE believed me when I told them it was low carb- They thought it had to be store bought!
Ingredients to make a keto blueberry pie
For the crust
- Almond flour– Blanched almond flour, not almond meal. The latter has a texture that is not fine enough to hold the crust together.
- Coconut flour– Balances out the almond flour and thickens the crust.
- Xanthan gum– Just a pinch to give more sturdiness and shape. Do not omit this, or else the crust will break apart.
- Baking powder– Stability and a slight rise to the crust.
- Butter– Salted and cold butter. Just like any traditional crust, you will mix the cold and chopped butter into the dough.
- Liquid stevia– Optional, but you can add several drops if you’d like a sweet crust.
For the filling
- Blueberries– Fresh or frozen blueberries can be used.
- Granulated sweetener of choice– I used allulose, but erythritol or monk fruit sweetener can both be used.
- Lemon juice– Balances out the sweetness of the blueberries.
- Chia seeds– Thickens the filling so it becomes gooey once baked.
How do you make a low carb blueberry pie?
Start by preparing the pie crust. In a mixing bowl, add the dry ingredients until combined. Next, transfer into a food processor and add the cubed, cold butter. Process for 30-45 seconds, until fine crumbs remain. Using your hands, form two smooth balls of dough and cover them completely in plastic wrap. Place the dough in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
Next, roll out the two balls of dough amongst two pieces of parchment paper each. Roll out one of the balls a little large than the second one, as this will be used for the base of the pie. Transfer that rolled piece of dough into a 9-inch pie dish, reserving half an inch from the sides that can be rolled up.
Now, prepare the filling. In a mixing bowl, add the blueberry filling into a small saucepan and place over low heat. Once it begins to simmer, gently stir it for 5 minutes, before removing it from the heat. Transfer the filling into the pie dish, and spread out evenly. Place the second layer of dough on top, and pinch the edges around the side so none of the fillings seeps out. Whisk an egg and brush the exterior of the pie, to ensure a golden finish.
Finally, place the pie in a preheated oven and bake at 180C/350F for 45-50 minutes, or until golden brown on top. Remove the pie from the oven and slice and serve immediately.
Tips to make the best sugar free blueberry pie
- You must chill the pie crust for at least 2 hours prior to rolling it out, to ensure it doesn’t crack or break apart once it bakes.
- If you use frozen blueberries, don’t worry about thawing them out prior to making the filling. Once it has simmered in the pan, most of it will be absorbed.
- Feel free to use a mix of fruit, like strawberries, blackberries, and raspberries.
- Serve this pie with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or some whipped cream for the ultimate dessert.
Storing and freezing the blueberry pie
- To store: Blueberry pie should be stored in the refrigerator, covered. The pie will keep well for up to 2 weeks.
- To freeze: Place the pie in a shallow container and store it in the freezer for up to 6 months.
More keto pies, crumbles, and tarts to try
Keto Blueberry Pie
For the crust
For the filling
- 1 large egg whisked
- In a mixing bowl, add the dry ingredients and mix well. Chop the butter into small cubes.
- In a high speed blender or food processor, add all your ingredients and blend well, until a fine and crumbly texture remains.
- Form two smooth balls with the dough and cover them completely in plastic wrap. Refrigerate the dough for at least two hours.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Grease a 9-inch pie dish and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, add the blueberry filling into a small saucepan and place over low heat. Once it begins to simmer, gently stir it for 4-5 minutes, before removing it from the heat.
- Place the two balls of dough amongst two pieces of parchment paper. Roll out the dough, allowing one of them to be larger than the other. Place the larger of the two pieces of dough into the pie pan, allowing the sides to overhang. Fill the pie with the filling and spread it out until it is mostly even. Top with the second layer of dough, and crimp the sides. Brush with the egg wash.
- Place the pie in the oven and bake for 45-50 minutes, or until golden brown on top. Remove the pie from the oven and let it cool for several minutes, before serving.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.